Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad to Be Here

gravelbellyggravelbelly Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm a recovering "bad back guy" -- something I never thought I would be when I was younger. Then one day, I picked up a solid core door & carried it in an awkward position with resulting lumbar pain.

My chiropractor has showed me the x-ray of the compressed lumbar disc. I also have a compressed cervical disc -- probably a postural issue.

My chiropractor is a great guy. Says his treatments are only about 60% of the equation. My own stretching/exercise/lifestyle change routine is the other 40%. I'm always asking him questions about one particular therapeutic approach or another, and he has been very helpful in guiding me in structuring a home-based therapy routine.

I guess there are a lot of people here with worse problems than mine, and I'm not really looking for specific answers right now. I just want to get a feel for the community and see what pointers I can pick up for use in my own program -- after I run it by my chiropractor, of course.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a great site for information via doctor-written and peer reviewed articles and videos showing a multitude of procedures, treatments and techniques. The forums are also great - the members are knowledgeable, helpful and supportive. I think you'll like it here.

I would expect that most of us are way past the chiropractor route, either awaiting surgery or already having one or more, and the manipulation that comes with most chiropractic care can be dangerous for many of us. We trade that in for PT, guided by our surgeons. Don't get me wrong, though, there is no bias here against chiropractors and the care that they give, it's just not what many of us can risk.

With that said, I'm very glad that you have a chiro that you trust, have confidence in and is helping you so that you can keep on a-truckin' without the need for more invasive therapy.

Again, welcome to the group, it's nice to have you and I look forward to reading your posts.

• Glad you have your pain issues under control? I went to my Chiropractor and he wouldn't touch me with a herniated disc except massage therapy and a TENS unit until I saw a Neurologist and Ortho Dr. but had many helpful tips by the Chiropractor. I haven't had surgery as I'm not a candidate but trying to manage my back issues with injections and meds. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Oh how I wish I could get into PT where they would do massage. Tricare won't help pay for that and we are struggling to make ends meet as it is. I hve a "fissure of the anulus fibrosus" whatever that means and so I can't do PT right now.. plus the compression fractures make it so a massuse doesn't wanna get near me..

I am so happy for you that you can get relief from a Chiro, I wish I could find one. My sister in law's father is a Chiro and won't even mess with me..lol
  • Craig,

Welcome to Spine Health! At the top of the web page is a 'search box', so if you have additional questions or want to research something, give it a try!

Like Cath said, most of us a way past Chiropractor safe mode. I crashed a helicopter, and a Neurologist I went to was also skilled as a Chiropractor. He gave me my life back, and for close to 20 years, I was able to manage my pain through constant treatment of Chiropractors. Then levels started to herniate making manipulation a major off limits activity for my treatment. I will cross my fingers that you will be able to maintain your pain under control for years to come with chiropractic care. Take care, and again, Welcome to the site!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions you can. alot has already been said about the chiro so i will let that go! i am glad you have a pain program that is working for you. that is the important part.. you have to do what is right for you! please drop by anytime!good luck with your at home program. Jenny :)