Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 weeks post op PLIF

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hey there everyone! I'm 9 weeks PLIF today. I saw my surgeon last week for my routine visit and during that visit he found a couple of things that he didn't like too much.

I was supposed to start PT at week 12, but I'll be starting tomorrow. The muscle bands that run along the length of my incision are tightening up pretty fast and are causing lots of back pain and stiffness. I'm having a lot of right leg pain again. That had totally disappeared for a couple of weeks. I don't know if the two are realated, but we're about to find out if the physical therapy can loosen those bands. I'm having a problem with my right heel also. Not too sure what's going on there, but I have a numb, heavy feeling and it's causing me drag my foot somewhat. When I drive and I move my foot from the gas to the brake it feels like I'm pulling the whole floormat along with it-for lack of a better explanation. Hopefully this all ties in with whatever is going on around that incision site.

I've been xrayed twice since my surgery with no signs of fusion yet. Still early out yet, so I'm not going to get discouraged. I'm still walking a lot everyday. I just can't wait until it gets cooler and the humidity drops because it is HOT here! Goodness. It's in the very high 90s at the least, 100s most days, then you add on that back brace and it feels like you're in a smokehouse.

If anyone has gone through PT at or around the 2 month period, I'd love to hear from you and see what your experience was. I'd love to hear from you guys regardless ;)

Wishing you all well!

• Hey Stacey. I started PT at day 14 and once my incisions healed I did much of my therapy in the pool! I love aquatics and if I could just live in the water all would be great! :)

I also did the stationary bike and gentle core strengthening exercises while wearing my brace.

It's great that your surgeon is listening to you and being proactive! Hopefully you will be able to stretch those muscle bands, and that will give you some pain relief!

Just be sure to communicate with your PT and if something causes you pain or if the pain lasts longer than 2 days be sure to let them know! Ice is your best friend! :)

Wishing you the very best! :)
  • Sorry to hear you are still having problems, but equally I am glad to see that your doctor cares and is being proactive in your care. Try to remember, you're early out yet, so lots more healing hopefully to come! Support *HUG* to ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks. I had my first session today. Most of the time was spent on evaluation. We did a lot of stretching and some core techniques. He did some ultrasound and electrical stimulation, which I have always HATED! I don't know why but that has, and still is excruciating to me. He did it for only a few minutes, then I had to get him to stop. I don't have much "cushion" there, so maybe that's the reason.

I'll be back tomorrow though, so we'll see what that brings. I was promised massage, so I'll be holding them to that. :D