Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interesting and scary article about a Los Angeles area doctor

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management

Basically, it seems like this doctor was prescribing meds more from ignorance than greed- she was just handing out these addictive drugs, and meanwhile young men with addictions were dying of overdoses. And the scary part is that she won't be prosecuted.

We discussed a while ago the upcoming increased controls on these medications- this is the other side. These are the doctors who need to be not prescribing these meds, ever, and the kids who need to not be getting them.

• HB this is down right scary...or should be .... to middle class America. I think from reading this article that this doctor knew exactly what she was doing. To prescribe those meds to young people who had traveled to her to be treated for "old sports injuries" is prescription peddling. You might give them one prescription for a day or two worth of drugs once. But wouldn't any doctor question why they came from such distances? And why they would go to a GP? Obviously the kids knew what this was and many died.

Middle class parents need to open their eyes. Look at where their "good" kids are and what they are doing. If you loved your kids you would take them to your family doctor for a drug screening at least once a year.

I cringe when I hear my friends talk about their great college students who are binge drinking at 18. Seems like today as long as the kid gets into a good school and gets good grades it doesn't matter to most parents what else they are doing. And if you try to suggest a problem they tell you that "everyone does it..its no big deal".

They always say that talking to your kids is so important. I wonder what the parents who condone this behavior say to theirs?
  • Oh, so true. I mean, it seems like any of us could lose our kids in this big bad world.

I feel lucky that I have very smart kids and I just pile information on them, and force them to make decisions for themselves.

But how could she be responsible for that many deaths and not be prosecuted, or even lose her medical license? And you have to think- how many other oxy prescriptions did she pass out that we didn't read about?
  • wow...thanks for the article. that's terrible that someone can walk in and get such drugs for undocumented ailments. I don't know any doctor that would give you meds like that at your first interaction with them. And 80mg oxys?? Omgosh...why such a high dose? I'm not even on that high a dose!

This is why we spineys with legitiment pain and diagnoses have trouble getting the help we need and why there is such a bad stigma for taking such meds. It;s sad.
  • Well that article indeed is scary, but the one common theme is that while the doctor is wrong all of them were drug addicts to boot. Addicts are very good at what they do, no different than any criminal. So I will not blame all of this on the medical community. The fact is these parents knew their kids had serious drug issues and say they were doing better. Well obviously they weren't sense the doctor didn't contact them to come to her practice, they made a conscious choice to go there. The one mother even comments to the extent her son told her yeah you just bring any old film in and you get what you want. Now myself as human being if someone told me about that sort of practice going on, police would have been notified right then and there. No different than if I knew of someone making crack. So the parent reminds of one of those people whom knew about and it was fine till something happened.

The other thing is to check that case in a year and see if the doctor looses her license or is sanctioned. If not then more than likely that is a one sided story. Keep in mind it doesn't give the exact dosage instructions of what was given. The part on the Soma that is a max prescription of a 30 day supple. So actually there is nothing wrong there whatsoever. I would be curious if the soma was prescribed in place of a narcotic?

But keep in mind addicts go to all ends possible to get what they need. Lying, cheating, steeling, falsifying medical records, names and identity's. Which may have something to with why she is not loosing her license if all of that is in those medical files. But then again there is bad doctors out there as well, but they are a small part compared to the number of them.
  • It did say she was sanctioned- she had her ability to write prescriptions for controlled substances removed. She just wasn't prosecuted.

And she said she had, of her own accord, stopped writing prescriptions for oxy before that.

But yes, of course these kids lied and cheated. The problem is, remember all of those hoops we had to jump through to get our meds? Well I don't live TOO far from that doctor (not close- within a couple of hours drive) and in this area legitimate doctors don't just hand out meds like that, because the risks are too high. Every doctor I have been to required hoops- a diagnosis, blood tests, contracts, etc.

But where does the buck stop? Where did these boys get hooked in the first place? If they got hooked by buying it on the streets, maybe the medical community gets off the hook, but many people get hooked on painkillers during treatment for an injury. If someone gets hooked on pain meds and is not properly detoxed, then the responsibility still lies on the medical community and more control and education of both doctors and patients would be helpful.

• I have seen the addiction and or illegal use come from two sources. The first is as you say people who are given narcs for usually ortho type injuries. They recover but can't stop taking the pills.

The second is the kids who hear about it in school or from friends. Believe it or not the same anti-drug education leads kids to the medicine cabinet at home to "just see what it's like". Next thing you know they are buying it on the street.

I've had some personal experience with addiction and my feeling is there is a psychological cause behind the medication. The worker stops at the bar on the way home because he hates his job and needs to relax. The mom at home feels worthless so she has a drink with lunch. The kid doesn't fit in so he tries a pill to be cool.

Whatever the cause -- there is one. What stands between someone who takes what they need and someone who needs what they take? That would be the family and the doctors. I'm in favor of any rule that will help limit the amount of drugs that exist in medicine cabinets when they aren't needed. Any law that makes doctors responsible for prescribing appropriate meds at the appropriate dosage and quantity. And I think inpatient rehab should be available to everyone.

• I had a regular appointment today with my doctor. He just got out of working for a company and went independent. He only kept a secretary and one nurse. The office is much more quiet now and is nice...he wants to be a little county doctor...like the old days. (this is the same doctor who comes to ME when I flare up and starts the steroids and gives me a hefty injection of Toradol...house calls! who does that anymore?)...anyway, while waiting in the waiting room today, I noticed a "WARNING" letter to his patients posted on the bulletin board. It basically said that if you try to come to him to get narcotics, anti anxiety meds, sleep aids and such, that you had to have your medical records from your previous doctors proving you legitimately NEED those meds. If you don't have documentation, you don't get meds. Plain and simple as that!!

I was glad to see thatg and I thought about this article as I read it. This is a smart way to go.

Also, my hubby once got 'hooked' on vicoden after he had a surgery on his "man parts"...but the doctors kept giving him more refills and he finally realized one day that it wasn't REAL pain he was feeling 4 hours after taking his vicoden, but it was an urge and need to take another that was bothering him. Anyway, it's so easy to do.
  • It is not only easy to get hooked, tarheel, it is expected. That is why doctors who continue to shovel out the meds instead of helping their patients taper off are just as responsible for the problem as the doctors who hand out pills willy nilly or patients who lie to get them.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    The referenced article is sad. Grief for the family of the young man who overdosed.

But sadder for the fact that there are doctors out there, that do not take their oath serious and willingly endanger other people.

And sad for the young men who got in their cars and drove a distance, knowing that they will be able to obtain some drugs..

I believe that any doctor caught doing this type of thing should immediately lose their license, to me they are not fit to perform the function and secondly, they should be held legally liable in the direct cause of death.

Its amazing how words travels fast about a doctor who hands out pain meds so easily. Back during one of my lumbar surgeries (circa 1981'ish), I had a doctor who would just prescribe 200 pills of Tylox any time I called him about some pain and or flareups. 15 years later, that same doctor committed suicide. Interesting enough after talking to several people (doctors, PT, technicians, etc) they all knew the same thing.

If you needed pain medications, go see Doctor XYZ, you will get whatever you need and more.

How does this stop? DEA enforcements? They already spend a lot of time, perhaps into areas that are perfectly legit. Not only is it the few drug seekers who ruin things, but the few pitiful doctors who also ruin things.

I dont have any answers, but I do know that any doctor who is involved with this type of situation, should be treated harshly and punished to the max.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Agree totally, Ron.

This isn't the only doctor of this type in the area. The sad thing is that it's up to a newspaper to root them out, rather than the people we think are protecting us. How many are still open for business?

I wonder why people like us should be against increased restrictions, because the good doctors should not have a problem with them. The requirements I saw were things doctors should be doing anyway. It seems like doctors like these would be the ones rooted out.