Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain meds

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
So I am on 7.5 vics 4 to 5 times a day and they work for 2.5 hrs than the pain returns and leaves me waiting till the next dose for relief. I also use a heating pad and a tens unit. My questions is what can I get that will help with the BTP or switch to another med? I am allergic to percocet and fetnyl patches are out because I get really cold at times and put on alot of clothing and then get over heated, not to mention I use the heating pad alot and frankly the patches scare the he** out of me!! My pharmasist suggested taking 600 to 800 mg of motrin in addition to the vics but need to run by the doc on wednesday. What do you think?Any ideas of what doc might give me?

May 2009 ADR and ALIF L4-L5, L5-S1, major nerve damage in both legs, 75% PPD

• Of course, 800 mg is above the OTC dosage, and so you should definitely ask your doctor about that :) Frequent large motrin dosages can have some bad side effects.

As mentioned, I take Ms-contin. I find the ms-contin + norco gives me better pain control than frequent norco.
  • I am on 100MG MS-Contin twice a day and 15MG MS IR as needed.

I was previously on 60MG MS-Contin that was doing absolutely nothing. As soon as he changed me to the 100's, my pain has gone down to a 1 or 2 and on bad days 3. But that is from 7 or 8 on bad days without medication.

A lot of people say MS-Contin is no good but it is working for me right now. I don't notice any side effects like fatigue or "high" which is nice. I take it and 30 minutes later, I am back to functional.

Long response but I wanted to give you the broad scope. :)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    negative reactions. Maybe MSContin? Tramadol CR
    800mg of motrin is part of my regimen .... but doesn't really do much to touch the pain .... push your doctor for a better solution.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    what direction your doctor takes you, and if it provides you relief.

Happy .... 800mgs of Motrin (Ibuprofen) is not available in a single pill over the counter, but is not above the maximum daily therapeutic dosage. I am RX'd 800mg twice a day. You are correct that it can be poorly tolerated by both the stomach and the liver in some individuals. I have been on that dosage of Ibuprofen for several years with any "bad side effects" - but then again we are all different as to what we can or can't tolerate and how our bodies react to the same med.

The pharmacist suggested the 800mg of Ibuprofen - if it was a no no .... I would think that a licensed pharmacist would not have brought it up at that strength.

Hoping that everyone gets the needed pain control required to function like "normal" people (whatever the heck that is).

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I think you would get better pain relief if your doctor added an ER med like MS Contin, Oxycontin, Opana, or Methadone for example. As far as the Vicodin, maybe trying a 10/325mg instead of 7.5mg, 4-6 times a day. Of course it's up to your doctor to adjust your medicines and hopefully he will be open to trying another approach. Do you take a muscle relaxer? Nerve pain med like Lyrica or Cymbalta? It takes a combination of meds to treat each symptom of our back problems. Anyway, just let your doctor know about your pain at your next appt and hopefully it will be productive. Take care