Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve pain after anterior and posterior surgery

sherdobssssherdobss Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
I had anterior and posterior back fusion surgery 2 1/2 months ago. I was told up front it would take up to 6 months to fully recover. I am now having shooting pains out the ends of my toes. Mostly the left foot. My doctor has put me on Neurotin 1 3X a day. I am on Lortab 1 every 6 hours. None of this is even touching the pain from my hips to the tip of my toes. The pain at night is so bad in my hips down my legs. What's a person to do? I don't have another appointment until Oct. 18.

• is very hard .and if you are still in pain then go to your family doctor and sort some stronger pain killers out .as for 6 months to recover from a fusion ??? i have been told {because i need a 360 multilevel} its going to be more like 3 years to fully recover ..so 3 months is still very early ..but don't suffer go and see you doctor about pain control
  • With Tony/Straker.

I wish doctors would stop being so optimistic when they throw these numbers out. I think they just shoot for the best case scenario and don't add the part about some people taking far longer to get to a full recovery.

I had a piece of torn Miniscus cartilage removed from my knee and it took longer then 6 months to stop hurting!

Same with my partial shoulder replacemnt, oh piece of cake, you'll be fine in 6 months. Then when it still hurt in 6 months I did some of my own research and found documented case studies of 18 months to 2 years being more like the norm! That was pretty accurate as it did continue to get better for a little longer then the two year point.

Don't get discouraged, give it time. The biggest things are not to overdo what you are allowed to do and to try and get adequate pain control. That last one can be difficult to attain when you are still waiting to see what the final out come is.

so, try to be optimistic and follow up with your operating doctor and if you get no where then see your regular doctor, depending on where you are the process of getting adequate pain control varies and really depends on how hard you push for it.

I know it is hard to make that call, I just had to do it for the umpteenth time, my doc forgot to give me refills on my Ambien, so I let it run out. That was a week ago. today I decided enough is enough and had to call for a refill. I hate that call. always makes me feel like I am begging...
  • to get your pain under control. For some reason, many surgeons do not want to treat pain past 6 weeks (I think its because they don't want to believe their surgery didn't "cure" the patient) or perhaps they feel you will be their patient forever just for pain meds. I made the mistake of waiting miserably before I went back to my pain management doctor for treatment. I felt like a "failure" as a patient - that's how my surgeon made me feel.
    The big harm to letting the pain go this long, I've come to learn from my PM doc, is that chronic nerve pathways can develop, which may torment you years after you back heals. The sooner you hit that severe pain aggressively, the less likely it will persist forever.
This discussion has been closed.