Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weird Feeling Legs Post Op

StacyAnnSStacyAnn Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, its been about 2 weeks since my last back surgery and my left leg feels weird. Its a combination of heaviness, achiness and muscle spasms. This has replaced the pain that was in the leg after the surgery at the beginning of August.

Is this normal? Walking helps the spasms but I am still so tired I can't make it very far. The pain meds amd muscle relaxants help with everything but the achiness. But they just add to the tiredness and makes me even less motivated to move which is not good. Anyone experienced this? Any ideas on easing the ache?

I can't remember last year with the first surgery how I felt. Its amazing what your mind will remember or block out.

• You should have received some discharge instructions that tell you what sort of things to watch out for and when to call your doc. Of course then there's always the "what if it isn't on the list" stuff that can drive us all insane trying to figure out if we she be too worried or not. A safe thing to do is put in a call to your surgeon and ask the questions. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I found that by setting up a daily routine for recovery, that I could battle through the sleepiness and hard to motivate times. For example

7am get up and make some coffee
    8am make and eat some healthy breakfast
    9am take a shower and get dressed
    10am go for a short walk
    12 noon have a light lunch
    1pm wander around house
    2pm take short walk
    4pm wander around house
    5pm take short walk
    6pm eat a light but healthy dinner
    The rest of the evening I would watch a movie or do email then change and go to bed

By having a schedule and sticking to it, I found it really great for getting me past those first days of exhaustion and lack of motivation. So I found I had plenty of energy and would watch TV during my rest periods instead of napping.

Hang in there and don't give in to the temptation to stay in bed for hours and hours! Let us know how it goes.