Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hearing/court proceedings...

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi all,
Well, I had a regularly scheduled appointment with my doctor today and we decided to change my prozac (I have seen no benefit) to wellbutrin and he upped my oxycontin from twice a day to three times a day. All is good there.

However, he broke the news to me that he would not be able to accompany me to my hearing tomorrow. He felt remorseful and I could tell he was truely sorry. He is though writing a "last ditched effort" letter directly to the judge...I gave him the judges name and he is going to write a narrative and just spell out that I am disabled and have no chance of recovering to be able to perform any job at all. He is going to address all my issues and all the treatment modalities that I have desperately tried to no avail. He is going to spell out my strict limitations as well. He is hoping that the judge will accept this letter in place of his presense....I hope it works. My hubby is to pick it up tomorrow morning as he is working on it this evening with my thick chart!

After my 'mock' hearing today by phone by my attorney regarding tomorrow's actual hearing in front of the ALJ, I told her that he could not come, but was writing the judge a letter and asked if it would be accepted as medical evidence. She said absolutely...she is going to read it first to make sure there is nothing that will hurt my case and if not, she will present it to the judge.

She said that with my age being 37 and having a BSN in nursing, that the vocational person will put in all my limitations and try to find me a sedentary job to do. But, she said that my doctor's records are all so incredibly supportive....from his narratives, to notes about making home visits, to the impairment questionaires, etc.

I thank you all for the support you've given to me...and I pray each of us heal and find peace and comfort. God Bless you all!!!!

• Tarheelgirl,

Letters from your doctors, especially your doctor directly treating your disabling status is just as good as 'in person', as the judge knows doctors are that, doctors, and can't always get away for 1/2 the day to attend a hearing. Many doctors won't even write that letter - they know that too, and that many doctors HATE the administrative process of just writing a letter!!!

Fingers crossed for ya tomorrow!!! Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I hope your Drs letter can help influence the decision for disability for tomorrow. Prayers and positive vibes for you for tomorrow. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • From one nurse to another...good luck tomorrow...sending prayers your way!

• I appreciate your comments! I am really praying that the letter he writes tonight will slam dunk it, if you know what I mean. I'm sure he will convey that he really wanted to attend the hearing to support me, but just couldn't take the time off. I gave him the judges name, so he is addressing it directly to him.

What are the chances I could hear tomorrow whether I "won or lost" again? I know they say that it could take 2 months to hear, but that seems crazy to me.It seems one month down the road, how will they remember the hearing and "me" myself while looking at the chart and trying to make a decision?

Can ya tell I'm a nervous nelly? omgoodness!!!
    My attorney did not correct me in any way and did not offer anything...so my hubby assumes that she was satisfied with my answers?? you think? I mean, she doesn't get paid unless we win. She did mention my age again as being a factor. [ugh...for one day, can I pose as a 52 year old? lol hehe]

Well...you all have a great night. I have to arrive at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon and my hearing is at 1pm!
    Love to all!!