Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh no! What have I done

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Asking for prayers please. I still have some weakness in my legs (I had footdrop before my fusion). When I get tired I tend to drag my right foot and have a hard time clearing my middle toe and tend to "stub" it~getting it caught under my foot.

Sat I worked out in the pool and then went to the Texan/Cowboys game. It was a lot of walking and a lot of stairs.

That night I "stubbed" my toe and later my hubby accidently stepped on it. Yesterday when getting into the shower, I "stubbed" it again...

I am worried I may have torn my ligament. I have broken many toes....but this one is out of alignment~it looks like my 2 & 3 toe are giving the peace sign....it looks bad. The 3rd toe is rotated and curves out to the outside of my foot, creating a big space in between the toes.

I know I need to go in, and I will tomorrow. I tried to be in denial, but it looks bad. I am trying to keep my spirits up, but I am devistated. At best it is broken and needs to be put back into aleignment...

Please keep me in your prayers. If I can't get into the pool I will be so sad as that is my home PT program.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support!

• Jayhawk,

So sorry the toe might (is) be worse than you first thought. Please keep an eye on it for swelling and color changes. Broken bones that are unset can cut the tissue underneath and cause infection! I know if it was my hubby, his butt would be in the ER - he is a diabetic! Gentle support *HUGZZZ* Hopefully tomorrow they will get the toes back where they belong! Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow, I had no idea. I'm not diabetic, in awesome general health~just my bones! LOL Would I know? I know we aren't doctors, do you think I am ok to wait till morning?

My foot is very tan so it is hard to see the true color but you can still see that it's bruised and the swelling.

In hindsite, I should have went in yesterday. But I was in denial. If something else is wrong, I am afraid I won't be able to handle it.....
  • The bad thing about breaking a bone, if it isn't set in a short period of time (sometimes days), they have to break it again (some fusion might already be starting). The fusion of broken bones is faster since *most* times there isn't loading on them like say our spine fusions - and it is all fresh and your bone to bone.

Infection, you can keep an eye on the swelling, sometimes you can see vessels turning color (blood poisoning), a low grade fever, chills etc. - but that is when it is pretty bad (the blood issues, fever/chills). Given 4 days have gone by, *me* I would go tonight.

If its broken, and a ligament is involved, the ligament might be pulling the toe down. A friend at work broke his pinkie finger, and the ligament retracted and now his finger is stuck bent at 90 degrees - attempted surgery to fix it, but within a month, his finger was fully bent again.

As you know (I too broke most of my toes over the years), most toes the Doctor tells you to tape it to the other toes and rest - ice/heat...but yours isn't straight, so something else going on there. See? I understand your reluctance though. When I broke my right piggy toe, it rotated 90 degrees ....it's still lays on its side! (G) Now if it were bent, I would have gone in... *HUG*

• Well, I was really hoping that the orthopedist would kindly take my copay and laugh me out of his office. But once I took the wrapping off of my foot, it was easy to see. Maybe it is the way the toe is just hanging out to the side~ giving the peace sign...

So, broken metatarsal and phalageal bones with torn ligaments...they don't surgically pin toes, so hopefully it will heal with being buddy wrapped and held in a shoe/boot...

I go back to see him in 2 weeks...

how can little bones hurt so bad? Being held in alignment is throbbing.....rrrr

Trying to keep my spirits up. Didn't even have an insurance card or ID to give them after having my car broken in to.

I can't pull any of my toes up or wiggle them. I pray this is because of the injury and not due to my spine. I have that fear in the back of my mind. I asked him about it and he said it was in his mind too and that he wasn't sure but hoped it was due to the injury!

Trying to laugh to keep from crying!
  • Jayhawk,

So happy to see you got it looked at! I had a feeling a ligament was "not happy"... :) I've found the piggy and the big toe hurt the most when broken!! Piggy the worst! Glad no permanent damage there woman!!! *HUG* Rest up, let that puppy heal, okay?

Ps.. don't worry about wiggling them right now. Let the toes heal. :)