Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm backl!!!

Frank007FFrank007 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone. I had my surgery on Friday and am now home feeling relatively good. I underwent a three-level cervical adr in Orlando, FL. The surgery was performed by Dr.xxx www.noway.com Along with the disc replacement were removal of osteophytes and some repositioning/alignment of vertebrae. The surgery lasted approx 2 hours. Dr. xxx is really quite impressive as is his entire staff.
Within an hour of regaining consciousness I was moving around and speaking. Symptoms such as paresthesia, numbness, claudication, radicular pain, weakness seemed to have disappeared.
The pain from the procedure is another matter. For two days I had intense muscle tension pain and especially pain when swallowing. Within two days that has subsided somewhat. At the moment issues are: swelling of the incision which has me a bit worried; muscle pain and the desire to really give my neck muscles a good stretch which I will not do of course; and a general discomfort with the position of my head and neck when I sleep. Apparently my head is now screwed on at a slightly different angle. So I’m getting used to that.
Someone in the forums made a comment a few months back about how the insurance companies want people to believe that they are not covering this procedure when in fact they are. For over a year I did not submit a request to my insurance, UHC, since I assumed it would be rejected based on the feedback I got. Since my insurance was about to expire and I was switching to a different company I figured why not submit a preapproval request for something “crazy” like a three-level procedure. I wasn’t even waiting for their response when the Dr’s office called to say they had approved the whole thing. The rest is history.
I have amassed a pretty good amount of information about procedures, Doctors, etc. If anyone is interested in this or anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Post edited to remove naming of a specific doctor which is a forum violation and removing
a solicitation URL which is also a forum violation.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 09/01/10
Thank you all so very much for your support. This forum is invaluable.

• Glad to hear the surgery seems to have been successful. I hope you recover well - but don't overdo it (as I found to my cost last week). It seems, when we start feeling alot better, we think we can conquer the world, ha! I can understand why some people say it's 3 steps forwards and 2 back!

At least now you're on the other side of surgery and that your symptoms have disappeared, which is great news. I wish you a speedy recovery and well done!

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • hi and it is good to have you back! :H i hope you continue on this great road of recovery and keep getting better every day.. i am so glad you found the forum to be of help to you, that is so good to hear! take care of yourself and drop in anyime! Jenny :)
  • Good news you're having less pain and numbness after your surgery. All the best ahead for your recovery wished for you! Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Good to hear you got some help. I'm about 7 weeks away from a C3, C5 something or other. I definitely had a hard time swallowing and peeing for a while after the surgery. I didn't really realize the magnitude of what I'd been through till about 48 hours afterward (I did know I was having surgery, right?) Neck felt fatigued and in pain all the time, the fatigue is mostly gone. Never felt like any position was giving my neck/head rest, even lying down hurt. I used the neck brace but God it hurt just to wear it, except maybe not as much to not wear it, hmmmmm. Anyways, hope you have a speedy recovery, take it slow (hope I'm not giving u mixed messages.) Wait at least a month before you sign up to any cage fights.