Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have suggestions for easier mornings?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
I am having this issue lately where I can NOT get out of bed in the morning. I suspect it is something to do with the meds (highly suspect- as in, well I just figure that's what it is). It could be something else, I also am on blood pressure medication and so have hypotension at night, and anyway I've had fatigue issues on and off for years and years, but my kids go back to school next week so this dragging myself out of bed at 11 thing will no longer work.

Anyone have ideas for making mornings easier? Part of it is just waking up and hurting everywhere, what with the regular pain and the medication withdrawals on top of it. Blech.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    because my body is just not working! I have to drag myself to the shower and take a nice long warm one.
    That sort of gets me ready for the day.

Without that shower, it would take me probably an hour just to limber up.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was thinking about setting my alarm half an hour early and taking my meds- does anyone try that? Does it help?
  • But I guess that wouldn't work with the kids. It takes me an hour to get going in the morning - I drag myself from the bed to the sofa, have coffee and a snack with my medications, and then just wait for the codeine to hit me. Then I can manage getting bathed/dressed, etc. I feel so groggy too - so it takes me at least an hour to wake up - and if I don't get my 9 - 10 hours sleep - I'll feel groggy all day. So get up earlier and have that "me" time, before the kids get up, so you're morning meds can kick in.

Also - although steroid injections don't do much for my main back pain, they have given me temporary relief from morning stiffness (especially facet joint injections).

Good luck with this "back to school" stuff.

• I was going to say that I find that a really warm shower eases my pain and makes me more comfortable.

I hope that you find something to help you. :-)
  • That was the wonderful thing about the patch, no morning stiffness (my ankles are the worst, yech, getting down the stairs in the morning is a chore!)

I am kind of convincing myself it's time to see a rheumie :(

Maybe I should ask about one of the 24 hour meds, like Kadian (or is that a 12 hour?).
  • I took Kadian twice a day.
    also, about setting your alarm and taking meds...I do that. When I have to get up for something, my sweet hubby will bring me a cold glass of water and my antidepressant, my nuvigil(alertness pill) and my pain meds...he does this 30-45 minutes before I really have to get up...this is sort of my 'warning', I guess! hehe it works well!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Many years ago when all my neck stuff started ... my doctor did actually suggest that I wake up a bit earlier .... take my pain med and stay in bed for 30 - 45 minutes before attempting to "hit the ground running".

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this issue ... and I also find myself waking up and immeadiately having to take my pain med. I am going back on the patch again shortly and am hopeful that the rollercoaster ride of pain management will be over again.

Wishing the best for you,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Tarheel, my prescription co's formulary is telling me that there is a generic for Kadian/Avinza. Have you ever tried it? It's an ER form of Morphine.
  • Hey, I took the name brand Kadian and when we switched insurance, my copay became $250/month, so I opted for oxycontin again instead. However, I got woderful paind control with Kadian and used less breakthru meds. I've never heard of it having a generic at all...thoughgt it was too new for that. But, if so, it's worth a shot! Are you on a long acting now? I'm thinking you take ms contin? I'[ve been on that as well and the Kadian did better to control my pain than the ms contin..,.I have no idea why.

Also, [beware, a soapbox for me to stand on] something I appreciated about Kadian was there was no way to abuse it. It came in a capsule and the little pellets in them can not be chewed or disolved or anything!! I told my doctor that this was my drug of choice and it should be his b/c of the inability to abuse it.

The reason this topic is important to me is b/c we have a highschooler, a middleschooler and 3 elementrary kids...Now with my oxy IR and ER I really hide them. I'm not saying he's ever tried to get into my meds, but you just never know..or a friend may say to look, etc. He knows I have bad back issues, so i always need to be aware of this,

And it blows my mind that people crush oxy and inject this "NON sterilea" med into their veins! Maybe it's from being a nurse, but that just gets to me. And I don't understand how they "smoke" it either...I just can't comprehend these things. I saw a special on TV on oxy and saw the boy crushing the 80mg tablet and getting it to a very fine powder form and then snorted it. I guess that was the best way for him to get a "high"?? I can sort of see that way, but the other ways and espcially injected a dirty pill into the body,,

Oxy abuse is so bad and these kids are getting these large doses and its all entering their bodies so quickly. I wouldn't even do well with a big dose of oxy like that and I would calll myself opiate tolerant.

Ok, I'll stop my little tangent and get off my soap box now...sorry!! I hope your mornings start getting better!!XOXOXO

• I guess it's really new- my "new" PM doctor (same practice, different doc) had never heard of it. He said it is probably hard to find. But it's good news!

He wouldn't even write a prescription for it since insurance doesn't cover it and he didn't think I'd find the generic :(
  • I rarely sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time so setting the alarm for earlier would probably make me crazy with lack of sleep ;)
    I do find that on the mornings when I wake up an hour or so before get up time, if I take my meds then, getting up an hour later is almost a breeze..... okay, it isn't a "breeze" but it is much much easier on me... and when it's easier on me, it tends to be easier on everyone else in the house... and even some of those on the road during drive time, as well ;)

as for the doc and script, is this something you could contact the insurance company about? And call into local pharmacies, or perhaps the generic companies about locations near you... seems odd that he wouldn't even attempt to find out if you Could get it. Good luck, hope you find something that helps you some!
  • When I was working, I set my alarm :45 minutes early so I could ease into the day. I would have my coffee already brewed, sit a bit, a few sips, and like Ron a nice long hot shower. It seemed to work out well. I still every once in a while have light headedness with Lyrica, so when I was working, I took it after I got into the office.

My beta meds don't make me sleepy anymore, so I take them shortly after I get up. The early wake up also allowed me to 'ease' out of bed if I was starting off with pain that day.... I hope you find something that helps HBmom...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Getting up about 45 minutes early in order to take meds that will allow a person to function. It seems to work well for me.

• I always set an alarm for meds. Then have a second alarm for getting up, about an hour later. I keep my meds reminder set on my Blackberry to remind me to check myself, and take what I need to for the rest of the day. When we travel, my sweetie will make sure I am coffee'd and get my meds, before she gets up. It's just that little bit of care, that she shows me, that makes it a little easier.

I MUST have a HOT shower, every morning. Without it, by afternoon, I feel quite stiff. With it, I can stay limber.

These are just small things, that make for a huge comfort.

I hope you find some tools!
  • Hi,
    Until 2008, when I receieved disability retirement, I faced the same problem each morning. To cope, I woke up an hour earlier to take my pain meds like many have posted. Since I always took a hot bath at night for pain relief, in the morning I would use my heating pad to soothe my aching muscles and joints during that hour. My husband calls it my "hot rock," like the pet reptiles use. I still use this same routine even though I no longer work to get me up and going. Good luck to you, I will be thinking of you. Blessing and good days to all.
  • Don't you get up in the middle of the night around 3-4 to go to the bathroom. I find if I take my meds then which is just about 6 hours after I took them last I am a bit better in the morning. I am stiff and hurting either way but better than if I didn't take meds. The strange thing with my meds is that I really start to feel better about 2 hours after I take my naproxen and that lasts only about 6-8 hours. UGH! So today, first day back to work after this last episode, I took meds at 5am and got up at 6am to wake up the high schooler (which sucks because I don't really have to get up until 7 to get ready for work) but was glad because I was in pain and achy so by the time I took my shower and left the house at 8 I was feeling ok.

Okay this turned into a rant but thought I might have an idea...hee hee.

• I have been doing this for years.
    I have my bedroom alarm clock, set at the wrong time. Usually 1/2 hour later then what the time really is.
    Then when you wake up you see the clock, and you are not thinking about this trick, and it's actually earlier then you think it is, but your already out of bed, so i'm up to stay.
    So if the alarm goes off at 6 oclock, you get up, and it's actually 5:30.
    Works for me for years.
  • Has the ER Ms Contin helped you overnight to get up easier in the mornings? Even though I take Oxycontin I still am stiff and my leg is asleep and I can't get up for at lest 20 minutes if I do I will collapse. Hope it's helping you. Keep us posted. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm finding that getting up earlier is much easier, but I need to sleep during the day. When I sleep in on weekends, all of that sleeping at one time makes me SO stiff, getting out of bed is hell. Breaking sleep up makes it more comfy.

I never found ER MS contin, I still have the CR. At my next visit I am going to ask to go back on the fentanyl patch until and after surgery. This is just not cutting it pain-wise. I'm not sure the new doc will agree, though :(

But weekday mornings are not a problem, it's the trying to pack sleeping in between pick ups and drop offs and get everything done that is a bit hard.

• so i get out of bed take medication put on TENS have a cup of tea and get on my recliner and hopefully get back to sleep ..its been like this for about 4 years .