Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pharmacies!

ashtonaaashtona Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Pain Medications
I have been a long time CVS customer. I have had so many problems with them that I cannot even get into all the issues, suffice it to say that I have the regional director on my speed dial. They have denied medications for my 2 year old based on their error, they have denied me medications based on their incompetence etc...

This latest incident is a little odd. I am on 28 day scripts for 100MG MS-Contin and 15MG MS IR's. Last month my Dr decided to give me a 30 day script, which is odd and even he is not sure why. However, I ended up being 4 pills short this month. The odd thing is, 56 is my usual script, incidentally 4 pills short.

Regardless, I cannot blame anyone because I am not sure what happened to them. My wedding was also this month, my meds were on the road quite a bit. People in and out of my hotel suite etc...

So I bring in my script, 2 days early and CVS throws a fit. Refused to fill it, won't have any part of it etc... I call the regional and he won't return my calls.

We all know that 2 days early is not uncommon for script refills for convenience. My Dr called them and told them that it was his mistake and they need to fill it because I am out. No good.

So today is exactly the 30 day mark. I went into my Dr today and changed my pharmacy at his office to Walgreens across the street. Need to be upfront if you want to be treated. He agreed to the change.

My question is, CVS told me they would not fill it till 9/2 but that is 31 days. My Dr told me to go over to Walgreens today and get it done because today is the 30 days. Does anyone think this will be an issue or do I have to wait for 31 days?

This is just such a mess and now have been suffering for 2 days with no meds.

He said if Walgreens gives me grief to tell them to call him. Of course, they won't. But I am just curious what people think.
advertisement

Comments

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My pharmacy will fill mine 3 days early most of the time. If a particular pharmacist is there she refuses and gives me a lecture that I am abusing my meds by getting them filled early. I filed a complaint with the drug store. I have been getting my meds there for 13 years and have never had a problem except with a particular employee. She actually made me feel like I was a junkie looking for a fix. When i spoke with the manager I also showed him my meds to prove that I am not taking more then prescribed and the way I was spoken to was unacceptable. I was told if she is on duty to bring my scripts to him and he would take of it or either I could come back when she is not there. So I guess what I am trying to say is it is all up to the pharmacist wether they will fill the scripts.
    Susan
  • My wife actually was getting them filled for me because I was working. I called the regional director who gave me his direct line the last time they gave me hassle.

He won't return my calls so I am done.

I am just wondering if filling on the 30th day is going to be a problem with a new pharmacy or if CVS is going to block me in the system.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,593
    is really with your insurance company. Since I have become a cash pay customer .... they don't seem to care about when I refill my meds. Walgreens or CVS ... I did just find out that for one of my primamry pain meds ... Walgreens was about $75.00 less costly than CVS.

The pharmacy will go by the date on the RX ... The insurance company will cause the problems. You may find this to be true at Walgreens also.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
    Have him write out an RX for #4 and pay cash ... problem solved.

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Exactly, it's not an issue with the pharmacy, it's with your insurance company. Don't blame the messenger.

Who is your insurance that they are so tight on your meds? Mine has never been so. I can fill a few days early, a few days late.

I am pissed at CVS because they switched every single one of my open prescriptions to autofill, even the ones I don't take anymore. Blech. Sorry you're short on cash, people, but I don't NEED that medicine! Now I get constant "courtesy calls" about prescriptions they have waiting for me, while I still have full containers of that med. What a ripoff.

Unfortunately, they are literally half a block away and I am too wimpy to go farther to Walgreens ;)
    I am so happy that we agree .... so much so that I have removed some snarky comments I made in another post ... My appologies ... I am all too human on several occasions.

Respecfully,

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    My Story  - Click below
  • I am lucky in that I have a easy way. I never need really to go to the drug store. My pm dispenses right from his office. Works perfect there is never any dispute over the quantity or when they are due. He has to see me every 30 days to stay in compliance with what he prescribe. So every 30 days I go get my meds taken care of it all in one place. It actually makes it very easy on me. Before we went to this system I had a issue with one place who filled the exact same script for the last 5 months. Then one day i looked at the bottle and thought what the heck this isn't the amount I am supposed to have. Called them and was told your Dr wrote the prescription wrong, and they can't be held accountable to the DEA. So I said okay well then lets look at the other months does that mean you were wrong all those times and I should notify the DEA on those refills? My point got across but I still had to go get a new script which is when my Doctor went to prescribing meds in his office.
  • I think Metal is right that it is the insurance causing most of the problem. Some pharmacists are more strict but then again put yourself in their shoes. They probably see lots of people who refill early every month.

I pay cash and get reimbursed by the no-fault insurance and so far no one has bothered me. I've also been going to the same CVS store since they opened 17 years ago and went to school with the assistant. I've had nothing but great experiences with my CVS, in fact they are shocked each time I come in and buy $450 of neurontin but the pharmacist always remembers not to put it through my insurance.

There is nothing wrong with changing pharmacy if you are unhappy. You did it right with the doctor. The 30/31 day issue is a great question. I would ask the Walgreens pharmacy. Let us know what they say.
  • Dude, life is too short to hold grudges. My memory is probably too short too.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    this type of problem is not with the pharmacy itself, but with the Insurance companies.

When you feel a script , the pharmacy will check into your ordering history and follow insurance guidelines.

Sometimes, that means no refills UNTIL the exact day, the way the prescription read and when it should be ready.

Whenever you need to fill a script early, contact your insurance company and they can create an exception report so that your pharmacy can see it

Personally, I like to deal with smaller pharmacies.
    I have had problems with the larger ones. Sometimes, my Opana is not available at the hospital pharmacy I use. I then go to one of the major chains. I was refused because they said I just had the prescription filled a week ago.

I had two different scripts, one for Opana ER and one for the normal Opana. They said the insurance company refused me. They got confused about the fill dates of the ER and normal. No matter how I explained it to the pharmacy, it was a no go. I went home, called my insurance company and they agreed with my view and dates. I went back to the chain, explained this and they said, "OH, sorry, it was our mistake"
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Dave (Metelneck) is right, it is the insurance that fusses about scrips being filled early! I've been with Walgreen's for years, and they will tell me right off that while they filled my scrip, "I can't pick it up for 2 more days" because the insurance otherwise won't pay for it!!!

I have of late been refilling my meds via "mail to home" and not only have I had LESS problems, they remind me now when I need to refill or get them (script) refilled! That was an unexpected treat! If I go in to get them, there is one pharmacist in particular *I* like to deal with - no hassles, straight up sort of guy. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • By the way, the one time I needed an exception, CVS called and got it for me. But I can imagine they would be frustrated if someone was blaming them for things outside of their control.
  • I recently filled one of my scripts a week early because I was going to be on vacation when it was due. I called the insurance company to have an exception placed in my record so I could refill it early. To be on the safe side, I always have my script refill earlier than when I'm actually due. That way I give the pharmacy an opportunity to fill the entire order rather than a partial.

If your taking prescription drugs, you have a responsibility to insure that everyone is afforded ample time to fill your order. There have been occasions when my pharmacy was out and had to reorder, which takes a couple of days to accomplish. Don't blame the pharmacy, they're working within the rules set out for them.

Lots of moving parts.

Dave
  • you put up with having problems for over two years with CVS..there are plenty of other pharmacies. Their are lots of issues with pharmacies but this particular issues is the insurance companies as many have stated. Insurance companies can be blamed for over 80% of all healthcare related issues but pharamcies and pharmaceutical companies and doctors get all the blame. Insurance companies make all the prices and the rules and they have so much stinking power that they have made the medical profession a joke. I talk to doctors every day who tell me how a 19 year old with no medical degree at the insurance company is dictating what they can write. It is a disgrace.

Angela
  • EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • The reason Pharmacists give you a hassle about early narcotic fills is because they are ultimately responsible if something were to happen such as an overdose. If a Pharmacist is aware of filling a script early and something happens to that patient then the person or family could bring a law suit against the Pharmacist if something happens. It's their license on the line and the patients health. It's sad but that how it goes in America. I work in the field and it's always narcotics that are lost or left on vacation. Take it as directed.
  • It may be a disgrace but the insurance company is a 3rd party and they pay for what is on their formulary. Your more than welcome to pay out of pocket. If the drug companies would stop increasing prices and repackaging products such as making a pill ER instead of immediate release to get an extended patent life on a product then we wouldn't have so many problems. Take Fenofibrate or Tricor for example. When their patents expire they decide to make a new strength and discontinue the original one just to get around the expiring patent. There are almost 10 different strengths of Fenofibrate now. So the drug companies have to share the blame here as well. The heart medicine Coreg which is now cheap generically put out Coreg CR which is crazy expensive to it's generic counterpart. I see Doctors write whatever the drug reps tell them and half the time the Doctors are clueless on how much stuff costs. People need to be informed on their medicines.
  • It may seem that way, but maybe actually you are only seeing things that way because opiates are such that if we have been taking them regularly and then do not have them, we can become very ill- so we are much more likely to end up in the pharmacy for a refill, explaining why we need them.

Blood pressure pills? I can do without for a few days. Same for my PPI. No panic if I lose those. But besides the fact that I'll be in terrible pain, if I lose my pain meds I'll also be very ill.

I'm happy to jump through hoops, but would be very displeased if anybody assumed that I must be lying because of faulty dependence on correlation for causation.
advertisement