Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Morning

kiyasmomkkiyasmom Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! I am a nurse from NY, recently diagnosed with DDD and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. There is also a "pending diagnosis" of fibromyalgia although it may be disallowed since there is a definitive diagnosis of DDD and I guess 8 out of the 11 necessary pressure points aren't countable. It's WC so that's a whole separate headache.

I have a herniation at C4, disc bulges at C3-4, C4-5, and C5-6. I was put on restrictions, did conservative treatment but it is listed as chronic as it went 3 years undiagnosed and did not self-resolve. I was injured again about 2 months ago while at work and am now having pain in my upper back that is not receiving treatment yet as it may be considered another injury and I have to wait for the insurance company to decide whether they want to cover me or not. I get daily headaches, some migraines/tension. I have daily pain ranging from 4/10 at baseline to up to 8/10. I never rate higher than that because I've had 4 c-sections and one was under-medicated... that was 10/10... this doesn't quite compare to that! I do not have any pain management although I was sent to a PMD. She told me my herniation was not that significant ("I've seen much worse..." and prescribed me Neurontin; told me I could get the epidural at a later date if that didn't help. Ugh.

I am on Neurontin, Flexeril, and Meloxicam which helps with the arm pain minimally but doesn't touch the pack pain nor does it alleviate the numbness/burning. It was left side only but now I'm feeling discomfort in my right arm and hand, lower back, upper back, and both legs. Those are new onset pains. I am currently out of work, dealing with daily pain, weakness, fear, frustration, insomnia, fatigue... you get the idea. I was referred to this forum by a fellow spine injury friend and I'm glad to be here.

• kiyasmom

Welcome to the site ! !
    There are a few other nurses here who also have been injured while at work.

The the site has many different forums, a chat room, and great ppl who understand what you are going through,

Again, Welcome to the site.
  • I feel your frustration. Sorry to hear of your struggles in getting answers and relief.

Are you having any kind of physical therapy. I found water therapy to be very helpful.

Best wishes,

• Thanks for the warm receptions everyone. I was in PT but my 2nd round wasn't approved. There are medical bills that are being sent to my private insurance company but should be WC. It's a struggle and a very complicated case. I'm paying out of pocket for my medications and it's catching up to me because I'm not getting ongoing PTD checks yet. It's absolutely frustrating. I'm glad to be in the midst of people who understand. I wish you all well.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad youu stopped by. i am sorry for your pain issues.. i do hope you find some pain relief soon. please have a look around and make yourself at home. good luck to you! Jenny :)

• Glad that you joined us.
    You will hear from lots of friendly people who are experiencing a lot of the same symptoms as you and understand what you are dealing with.

There is also a lot of information on this site about various spinal problems and the possible treatments.

I am waiting to get an MRI scan on my neck, to find out what is going on there. I have had some problems in my neck for many years, but things have got worse and much more frequent in the last 8 months or so.

I started back at work this week, after my lumbar fusion in March this year. :-)

• Sorry to hear of your pain and cervical issues. I hope your PM Dr. can help you. I've seen 3 PM Drs mainly for my lumbar but my pain meds seem to help cervical pain also and glad I found the third PM Dr. that works best for me. I'm a Nurse also but have been unable to work and on LTD for 2-1/2 years and not a candidate for surgery yet. Hope you get some relief soon with your PT. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks again. It's great to be surrounded by people who understand, although it's horrible that so many people have to endure this. :( I guess the major issue is my age. I'm 28 and so my PMD is reluctant to prescribe any narcotics for fear of addiction. I didn't care for her anyway...
    My lawyer found me a new doctor and hopefully I will get some relief and a better battle plan from him. I don't want to be disabled forever. I want to work and be healthy. None of my doctors seem to understand that; and if they do, they have a strange way of showing it. One MD once said to me 'The question isn't how long will it take to heal, the question is, why do you have these disc problems at 28..." I looked at him like he was a alien. WHO THE HECK WAS HE TELLING?! It's simply not fair.