Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEW Oxycontin Yeah maybe this will save lives for abusers

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Pain Medications
I just filled a script for Oxycontin and noticed they were different so I asked why, and here is the great news. They changed the pill to where it can not be abused by drug addicts. The new formula had a very hard center that not be cut in half, chewed or crushed, or used to be injected. I think this is so great and maybe will help stop the misuse of the medicine, and save lives. Even better new is that now Dr.s will be able to write scripts to patients that really need them with out so much worry as to the concern of Oxycontin being misused. They also predict there will be a rise in ER visits from addicts having with drawls from abusing the drug. I think this is a great step in helping to keep the pain meds on market they us in pain really need.

Paula
advertisement

Comments

• I think it's a great idea for the drug companies to make this med. I heard with the strict regulations coming here there will be many people seeking treatment for drug abuse and because of the new Oxycontin pills they have. I guess they're the same price? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I live in Australia and have found no change to the Oxycontin here..Its just very very hard to get from your normal Dr as they prefer Tramal instead..

Im lucky that my normal Doc has been there from the beginning of my back pain and also my PM and Orthpedic Surgeon yell at me as I dont take ecough meds they reckon as I try to take as less as possible to due the liver damage they have already caued me...I try not to take the maximum dose prescribed unless I cant get out of bed, which is a lot lately with what I have been going thru..

Its geat to see that they are trying to stop our meds that we need falling into the drug addicts hands.

Thanks for sharing this info.

• I told my doctor a couple times that for him, if he was worried about prescribing to a drug seeker, that kadian was a good one that couldn't be crushed or whatever. I can imagine that there is going to be lots of street drugies who aren't too happy with this news and I can see more ER visits like you said Charry of those detoxing from oxy.

I had heard this was coming...but this past month I got the same oxys as I always do. I wonder if they will be different next month? Paula, what part of the country are you in? I'm in NC

MS contin has a waxy type of film on it...doesn't that prevent some types of abuse? Just curious.

I think all these ER meds should be made this way to prevent street use and to make it better for us spineys who really need it...that our doctors feel more comfortable in prescribing what we need.
  • ....that people actually crush these pills, mix them with a little water and inject them into their veins!! Do they ever get infections from all this non sterile stuff they are putting into their bloodstream?? What sort of "feeling" do they get from doing this? To me, I would think that one of my 60mg oxys that is meant to go thru the digestive system would really be strong if it were injected right into the bloodstream...is this one way kids are dying out there?? It's like if you have a pain pump, you get tiny amounts of the med since it goes strait to the spinal cord...I can't imagine what would happen if someone injected a 60mg oxy into their bloodstream!!??

I know I'm a bit naive and you guys may be laughing at me, but I just can't imagine! Is this what kids are doing? I saw a show once on kids crushing the 80mg's and snorting them...but I don't know how it works to inject it and smoke it.
  • It is very very sad how drug abusers find way to misuse the meds we need so bad. But it about time the gov't is doing something to try and prevent it from happening. Its is our younger generation that is hurting most from the oxycontin overdoses and such. I truly hope this is a start that will help greatly.

I live in Colorado and was told the change took place Sept 1st.

• A couple of times I've accidentally landed on web pages that apparently exist for people who think this is all A-OK. Pretty scary stuff :(

I feel sorry for those who are addicted and sick, but anyone who takes these meds for fun really needs a reality check.
  • Well, what I truely hope for us who really need ir is that at least they don't pull oxys from the shelves b/c they are so dangerous to teens, but instead change the forulary and make it so that we spineys can still take it and the abusers will leave it alone!! I at least hope that's how it works!!
  • Thanks so much for this information. I am so happy to hear this is finally made available to the public. =D> <:P I had seen on TV some time ago it was being tested in trials. This was several years ago. It takes FOREVER for the FDA to approve meds. At that time I do not believe my pain was as savage as it now is or WAS before my pain pump implant.
    Aren't the druggies going to be for a shock?

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Tarheal --- I noticed that you are from N.C., Louisiana here, anyway I read online yesterday that your states Sheriffs want access to all patients receiving pain medication pharmacy records. Sounds like too much Big Brother to me. Have you followed this story?
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
advertisement