Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discharged and in Pain!

LcashLLcash Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I had the 2 level laminectomy last monday. Released on Wendesday and am in real pain. For 2 months before the Lamy I had been on 7.5/500 vicodin and was getting immune to it. The pain Dr was concidering a fentenyl patch due to this. So after all the shots etc I had decided to go ahead with the surgery. The pain Dr sent my records to the surgeon and he does the surgery. (He is the same one that did my neck last year). After surgery he has me on a coctail of pain meds while in the hospital of 2-5/500 vicodin then a shot of morhpine if needed and demeral if needed (the last 2 were intra-muscular shots)and that kept the pain manageable while in the hospital. Then he sends me home with a 2 week prescription of 5/500 vicodin enough to take ONE every 6 hours and Robaxin. That's it! Going from the months of 7.5 and then the coctail and then to be cut to 1 5/500 every 6 hours is not going to even touch the pain. I called the Dr office to see if I could get this changed and was told by his PA that that is alot of medicine and I should take an Aleve. I asked if she even knew my medical history (gastric bypass in 2009) and that I can't take Aleve. I have a follow up on the 14th and the Dr is going to get an ear full. If he is forbiden to prescribe more then he could at least have called in the Pain Management Dr to consult and prescribe enough pain medicine. Sorry for the rant but I am pissed off right now.

Lcash
advertisement

Comments

• I am sorry to hear that your pain medication since your return home is not dealing with your pain. It must be very frustrating that it seems you can't get more meds prescribed until 14th September.

Have you tried things like icing or TENS?

If you really can't cope with the pain, what about going to ER to ask for help?

I hope that you find a way to relieve your pain, so that you can cope until seeing your surgeon on 14th. :-)
    You rant away :-) I hope that it helps :D
  • Unfortunately many of us find out the hard way why many surgeons want us to cut down on the narcotic pain meds as much as possible prior to surgery. Post op pain control is more of a challenge if we go into surgery still taking lots of narcotic meds.

Ice has always been my saving grace for post op pain, once I quit taking narcotic meds. I like the 4 X 9 hot/cold gel packs that are still mold-able even when frozen. That way I can get the cold surface right where I need it most.

Have you tried calling the docs office back and asking to speak to the on call doc? I agree with Jelly, if all else fails and you can't get the pain under control, go introduce yourself to the ER staff.

Sorry your experience is not turning out as you had hoped. Hopefully you will turn the corner soon enough and get past the worst of the post op pain.

"C"
  • I've noticed others say that their doctor expects their pain levels to be much less post op than pre-op. They did afterall go in and fix what was causing the pre-surgery pain. So they treat you for surgical post op pain, which is why you often come out with less medicine than you had going into surgery.

Theoretically it sounds good, that your pain level should be less. Unfortunately our body doesn't always believe that. I think you should call your doctor (on-call service if possible) and explain that what he gave you just isn't cutting it. Remind him of what you were taking pre-op, and see what he can do for you. Since you are brand new out of surgery, he will probably work with you. Unless you have a pain contract with someone else, and in that case you may have to just call your PM doctor.

I hope it eases off soon. Like haglandc said, Ice and heat, along with TENS, are my best friends too.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • If the pain gets too bad, go to the ER. I was in horrible pain when I came home from my double fusion in July. Dr. had me on Oxycontin every 4-6 hours. The best thing that helped me was laying on my side and having ice packs continually. I still use the ice several times a day. I was on 7.5 ml of Lortab before my surgery and tried to cut down before then, but could not tolerate the pain. Now, my doctor has me on 10 ml Lortab and Neurontin. If I want to do any walking I have to take meds and wait 30 minutes. But, please call your pain doctor and see what he can do. The first few weeks are the toughest and you shouldn't have to put up with major pain.
  • I am so sorry you are having such a hard time! I did too after my L3-S1 laminectomy a couple years ago.

I would call your PM doc and have him help you with your pain. MOst surgeon are very supportive of allowing the pain management doc to be in charge of your pain control!

Everyone feels pain differently and you deserve to have your pain controled! At the very least!

Hang in there! :) Wishing you the very best!
  • When i was pre-op, my neuro and pm doctor would only give me vicodin and flexeril. They told me i would need the strong stuff when i was post-op.
    They were right.
    Post-op is when they let me have the oxycotin,valium,norco, and neurotin.

While it is tempting to take all you can get pre-op, it is not always the wise'st way to go.
    They said that your body will build up a tolerance to the med's,and you need to work your way up to the strong stuff, and you dont start out on it.

I just said your the boss,and didnt argue, this is the best way to go.
advertisement