Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeon Consult Tomorrow

AlynnAAlynn Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have my first surgeon consult tomorrow morning. I'm very nervous and scared about what he is going to tell me. I'm petrified of having cervical neck surgery, but have to have some relief from the neck/shoulder/arm pain!!!

I have my "38 Questions to Ask the Surgeon" and I've read as much as I can about different procedures. I will be able to research further once I have this appointment.

Thanks to all of you for helping those of us just starting down this road.

Thoughts and prayer are appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!

• Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you have your consutation. It sounds like you are prepared. Many here feel like the anticipation is much worse that the actual surgery and hospitalization.

We are here to support you as you begin your journey. Do let us know how your appointment goes.

Wishing you all the best!
  • Hey there...good luck.
    Do you have someone going with you? If you can find a trusted friend or family member to go along, take them because I found it to help. If not, write down stuff during the appointment and no worries!
    If you forget to ask something or come up with another question, you can always call them after you leave.

Wishing you the best!
  • I first found this site a little more than a year ago. It was a life saver for me in many ways. I have sat in many doctors waiting rooms this past year feeling soo alone.

That's when I wished for a circle of friends who understood how I felt. So now I tell others to imagine that circle. It's made up of all the people here who share your problems or maybe just share the emotional upset.

So tomorrow morning when you sit in that office close your eyes and imagine the circle. HB is over there, Aviatrix is on the other side of you, Dnice is next to her, JayHawk is to your right and all the other great people from spine-health make up the rest of the circle. We stand with you to support you no matter what. Can't wait to hear what that doctor has to say !!
  • Such a lovely message Kris! Your words paint the perfect picture of support! :)
  • If you remember Shari I first thought of that circle for you. :)
  • I know what you are going through. I am 3 weeks out from surgery and I have to say that the anticipation is hard. I knew going in to the NS basically what he was going to say. A month after the first appointment, I was having surgery. Don't let yourself get all worked up over it. The surgery was, in my eyes, the relief. After waking up, the pain was gone. Now I am only crampy and a little sore if I over do it. That pain is a lot more reasonable than the constant agony of the shoulder/arm/neck pain.

Keep your head up and keep thinking positive thoughts. Let us know how you make out.

• I so remember, and have never forgotten, it meant so much and still does! It's the best analogy! Hope you are doing well! :)
  • Wow!!! What great responses! I really appreciate the "circle of friends" idea!

I did take my Dad and my partner with me, however, none of us has any experience with this situation, so having a place to come to be with experienced folks like you all is very comforting.

As far as my appointment went, let me just say that you know your day is not going to go well when your orthopedic surgeon is looking at the image of your cervical MRI and says "Oh, this is bad."

Apparently my C6-C7 disc is grossly herniated, and my spinal cord is "compromised" and narrowed. He has suggested surgery (of course), however, he has given me 2 choices: ACDF or ADR. So far, with what I have seen about fusion with plates and screws, and the fact that I also have osteoarthritis C-5, I'm leaning towards ADR. If you have thoughts for and/or against, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say, please.

I'm sorry this post is so long, I will try to keep my future posts shorter. If you have read this far,thank you for your interest.

Best Always,
  • Howdy Alynn, and Welcome to Spine Health!! As you can see, here you will find a large 'circle' (I like that analogy Kris!!) of friends here...friends that know pretty much how you're feeling. :)

ADR for the neck? I didn't realize you could have one there..I thought only in the back? Cool, I learned something today. I've had 2 fusions in the cervical side of the house, and looking like a 'redo' plus another level in the near future.

If you use the search box at the top of the web page, you might be able to research the various methods to help you decide what will work best for you. My guess, if your cord is compromised, they are going to want to get in there soon and fix it?

Please let us know what you decide, and of course any questions, tons of us here can help I am sure! Again, Welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You may want to post a new thread if you don't get enough replies here. I am not that familiar with cervical options. My hubby's cousin had 2 cervical fusions (around age 30 and 34) and did really well with both of them. He's a karate instructor and feared he'd have to close his shop but he's doing quite well and kept his business open and still teaches. I would recommend getting at least one more opinion from a surgeon in a separate practice (it's standard in the USA and expected to get at least a 2nd if not 3rd opinion). I, also, was not aware that ADR was an option in the neck but that's great if it is.

I would ask your surgeon to explain the procedure and risks with each. I know for lumbar, in the USA the ADR is not widely accepted yet for a few reasons but I also know they go in through the front which makes for a bigger surgery.

• I've made the call for the surgeon's office to start working toward getting my ADR scheduled. They will first, of course, work on getting prequalified with my insurance company, then set the surgery date. My doctor stated that they have had good luck getting approved with my insurance, so hopefully, there won't be any hitches. I was told that I would hear back in 2 - 3 days, then I'll know my surgery date.

I'm still researching and have checked out the Pre-Post Op List Thread. That is a great list of items and I am already making my shopping list.

Thanks for all your help and I think I will post a new thread asking for thoughts and experiences with Total Artificial Disc Replacement - Cervical.

One day, I hope to be able to use my experiences to help others, as you all have helped me!!

Best Always,