Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bad thoughts

BarbF01BBarbF01 Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Depression and Coping
I was cleaning out my med cabinet and found a bottle that was shoved in the back. It was for 300mg of neurontin (from when I had my cervical fusion), and I was so tempted to try and see if it would decrease this horrible pain that Ive been in all day. I know that I overdid it yesterday at the state fair (volunteering at the fast paced kitchen in the AM, and then we spent the rest of the day walking thr fairgrounds and looking at everything). I am so payiung for it today - and Im only on 25 mg of Lyrcia per day (as a started dose to see if it works), and thats been shown to help somewhat. In the end, I put the neurontin on the counter and told my Hubby about my urge to take it. Hes such a good guy that he hugged me and and talked to me about why I wanted to take it. We even looked to see when it was prescribed (as I don't even remember the last time I had it) and it expired in 03/2009. I promised to him that I'll take it work in the AM and discpose of it, as since I work in a mental health agency, we have a company that comes in and picks up all of our old meds/expired meds given to us by the patient and disposes of them.

• that we have had around for ages. It's just too easy to take them if you pull something or strain something. My BIL pulled something in his back last week and phoned hubby to see if he had any pain pills left over as he did not want to take the time to go to the doctor. I was glad we could say honestly that we had none.
    You have a wonderful hubby there I think and he has a great wife. Winning combination!
  • I understand your feeling. After my lumbar surgery, I had percocets (which I couldn't tolerate, so didn't take much) and my normal norco (along with the muscle relaxers) but one day I was having a particularly hard day and looked at my dilauded bottle that was left over from my ACDF from 1998, almost two years ago.

I broke down and took one and it did nothing. I guess the primary things to look at here are expiration dates and if you have a contract with a doc that prohibits you from taking anything other than prescribed. If you have a bad UA with a PM pain contract, you could be dropped like a hot potato.

I'm under those restrictions, as my surgeon takes care of me for up to two years, but you have to be careful with meds for many reasons, the ones I mentioned above, and if they've expired, they may also be a problem.

Anyway, with that said, you might want to talk to your doctor about changing meds. If you tell him this story, you might make him understand what you're going through and he'll work with you to get what you need to keep the pain at minimum.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I want to thank everyone for their kind words...but I still feel upset that I even wanted to take the old meds, b/c my pain was that bad. I am looking forward to being able to up my Lyrica dosage (1 more week as their starting me out small and then building to see what dosage waorks best).
  • Sorry to hear you are hurting, but equally proud to see you didn't take the old meds...and given the pain you've described, I know that wasn't an easy decision. My NS put me on 300mg (150 2x a day) right out of the box due to my severe nerve pain. Except for weight gain, it gave me a LOT of my quality of life back. I hope you find a level that works for you. Welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My big temptation is ibuprofen, which is off limits because I have chronic gastritis and it always makes me regret my decision to take it. But when I'm in terrible pain and the pain meds I have available haven't helped, it's so tempting!

• I hope that you are upset with your situation and not with yourself. When our pain is not adequately managed, it throws everything out of sync. You cannot beat yourself up for having the desire to take something in hopes it would provide you some needed relief.

• BarbF01,
    With gusto we have all exceeded our capacity and paid for that later with increased pain, we are not infallible and at the time this level of activity seemed achievable. Not that the benefits of doing any activity outweigh the subsequent pain and we all learn something about pacing and the upper limits of our capability on that day.

If it had been some time since you have pain of this magnitude you should not feel guilty for you did not know the results before you set off on your objective. Only in knowing that any specific activity would bring this additional pain may we feel foolish is keep going, when a reasonable person my have stopped. When to push and when to stop is always a guess for which we pays a big price at times.

Do what you feel is right for you and if any medication helps in the short term that is no reason for not doing it, helping yourself is the current objective.

Take care and I hope the pain reduces over time.