Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introducing myself - an ortho and neuro nightmare patient and nurse

halldothhalldot Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone. I am a critical care nurse, who also happens to be an ortho neuro nightmare! Like many others on here I too had a few severe car accidents that have taken its toll on my spine. My last accident was caused by a drunk driver in 1995, and I was medivaced to a trauma center with a severe concussion (moderate to severe traumatic brain injury based on my scores) and of course the motherload of spinal injuries in addition to a fractured arm and a few other things. I returned to work after 3 months, and have worked in the Intensive Care Unit a minimum of 48 hrs per week since. Long story short, multiple chronic spasms in my neck and lower back all these years. No meds have helped, and I'm limited on what I can or will take as a practicing nurse. I also was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2005 and underwent a full craniotomy for a benign tumor in 2006. I have since been diagnosed with a tarlov cyst on s2 which is symptomatic. I've plodded along with my spasms and pain, taking tons of ibuprofen, chiropractic treatments and PT and massage. On Aug. 17 I finally underwent an ACDF with allograft, plating and screws for C4-C7. Still recouperating from that. The spasms and swallowing difficulties are the most annoying. (that and I'm not good with limitations, bored stiff but can't drive yet or do much). I have seen neuro opthamologists for recurrent blurred vision, recently cancelled my last appt to the neuro-otologist for non spinning vertigo with new onset nystagmus. Still plodding along! Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and possibly getting good suggestions for things to try. Thanks and sorry for the long first post!

• Halldot,

Welcome to Spine Health!!! You will find a bunch of wonderful "fellow spineys' here. At the top of each web page is a search box that you might find of help.

Sorry to hear you are going through all that. I can hear the frustration in your post. Hopefully they will be able to address your issues soon. Again, welcome aboard!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry to hear that you have a laundry list of issues that you've had to learn to function with.

Have you had any testing done for the nystagmus? I developed nystagmus after having a C2 ganglionectomy during which I suffered a vascular injury to the 8th cranial nerve. I also suffered hearing loss along with it. With some brutal vestibular rehab, I was able to walk and drive again. It did take time and lots of determination though.

Why did you cancel your appointment with the neuro-otologist? Nystagmus doesn't just show up for no reason. I really encourage you to have it checked out.

Once again welcome to Spine Health.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! please have a look around and make yourself at home! we have alot to offer and plenty of new friends to make! all the best of luck to you! i hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny :)