Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2-level fusion 8 wks ago-back/leg pain 2 wks ago-why???

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had 2-level fusion 8 weeks ago. Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago when I tried to drive for the first time. I felt a sharp pain in my spine when turning around to reverse.

Ever since then I've experienced a higher level of pain in my back and also sciatic pain radiating down my right leg (I used to have this pre-operatively, but it disappeared until 2 weeks ago).

Today I had my first physiotherapy appointment and the girl tested my reflexes. Everything was fine except for the reflexes in my right foot (which was 'low'). Also, there wasn't as much sensation in my right lower leg/foot when she lightly touched both legs/feet at the same time.

Anyway, the upshot is that it's still painful to sit for too long (back pain) and now, when I walk or even stand still, it's painful down my right leg. I'm disappointed that my sleep pattern seems to be the same as it was before the fusion (I'm back to waking up every one and a half hours - and wake about 4-6 times during the night). I used to get relief when laying down, but not anymore. I wake up exhausted!!!

I've got an appointment to see my GP on Thursday because I now feel as if I need medication to help control these symptoms (I was gloating that I didn't need any medication after a few days returning home from surgery - how I wish now that I'd kept my mouth shut!!!).

Has anyone else experienced sciatic pain and increased back pain after 6 weeks of feeling absolutely great? If so, can you pinpoint it starting after something you did wrong perhaps (like in my case, twisting around when driving)?

I'd appreciate your comments, especially if it all settled down within a short space of time - as I'm really hoping to get back to work as soon as I can (cos I'm on half pay, which'll run out next month, which sucks!!!).

I've got my first review appointment next Tuesday with the surgeon, so hopefully, if I have an x-ray done, it'll show that I haven't damaged anything and that it's a normal part of healing. Also, I'm hoping it shows that I'm beginning to 'fuse'. I can't return to work until I've seen the company doctor on 21 September anyway.

My concern is that I didn't have this back/leg pain for SIX weeks after surgery and don't know why it's come back now. Fingers crossed.
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I am so sorry you are having pain! It is good that you have an appointment soon.

I have had pain since the very beginning but hopefully someone else will stop by and give you their personal experiences!

Hope you find some relief soon! Take Care! Shari
  • you were doing so well ..i am so so so sorry that you are having a set back you must feel well p1553d ! just rest up .hopefully this set back will settle down and you will be on the mend again .i am upset for you because as you know i may have to have the same or similar operation soon and you were an inspiration .....have you thought about going to see your surgeon just to make sure that everything is ok?
    you can phone me anytime and if you are awake at night 3/4/5am is see if i am on line and i will talk to you ..are you on skype? if not download it we can talk for free ..{i am feeling bad too lots of backache }