Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical - spurs, severe DDD, stenosis ...

art4uaart4u Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there - I am a healthy 51 women and very active - for the last six months my neck range of motion from side to side has become quite limited and painful and my left hand thumb and forefinger go numb frequently and a good nights sleep without neck pain and numbness seem very elusive!

Over the last 6 mths. I have had massages, acupuncture, physio, TENS machine etc. - no significant improvement

Doctor ordered xrays and found the following:

*Severe degenerative disc disease with endplate spurring and loss of disc space at C5-6 and C6-7.
*Advanced degenerative facet arthrosis at C-4 and C4-5 with 3mm of anterolishesis of c4 on c5 secondary to degenerative facet arthrosis.
*Uncovertebral spurring and facet arthrosis contributes to moderate neuroforaminal stenosis at C3-4, C5-6 and C6-7 worse on left than right.

Doctor has now ordered MRI (will happen in November) and a referral to a neurosurgeon.

What stands out to you as the area of most concern from these xray results and any thoughts as to what NS may suggest for next steps?

• HI

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many going through what you are or whom have gone through what you are.

As far as reading your x-rays we refrain from doing so as we don't want to get worried over something that may not even be necessary. I would think when you see the NS you will be given a full exam and then along with the imaging studies he/she will make recommendations.

If you look in the FAQ section at the top of the page you find two articles one preparing to meet with a spine surgeon and the other 38 questions to ask a spine surgeon. While you don't know if your having surgery or not. I would make one list of questions if you were going to have surgery and one list if not.

Also at the top of the page is a search feature things you should look up are and understand is the cervical spine in general, cervical stenosis, facet joints and anterolishesis. Once you start looking all of that up it will lead you to many more links. The most common neck surgery is ACDF(anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). You can watch the annimated video here on our site. But till you know exactly what is going on try not to put the cart before the hoarse, so to speak.

Between now and your meeting with the spine surgeon you can also start a journal and chronicle your daily pain and what is going on.

Once again welcome to spine-health and keep us posted on what you find out. If i can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.