Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rights for disabled americans

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Health Insurance Issues
This topic did not fit in anyway...I just need some advice.
As a woman, it seems I get taken advantage of more often than not.

I hired a contractor to replace a damaged door. I had to give him 50% down. This was in July, and I was not doing well with my back at the time. Needing quite a bit of percocet to manage. Anyway, I don't think that I protected myself from this contractor, as I did not get copies of the
door specifics, just a quote from him, and some emails. I could not even get him to tell me where the door is...it was supposed to be ordered from a chained home improvement store.

He has put the work off about 4 times now, for various reasons, and I calling the consumer protection agency, but wondered if there is anything that I can do since I'm a disabled american.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• This type of thing happens to everyone. Some contractors do this crap all the time. If you feel he's not upholding his end of the bargain, i.e. he's stealing from you, call the police and file a report.

• I will do that. Its kind of bad timing, because my disability benefits might be short lived, and I don't have the money to go out and buy another door.

Karma is a witch though...what goes around, comes around.

• Dave is right, That can happen to anyone.
    K if you know a lawyer, ask them if they would do you a favor and place a phone call to the contractor. Sometimes that works.
    If not call the state Attorney General's office and they should be able to tell you how to file a complaint.
    Also you can go to the Better Business Bureau online and see if he is accredited, and how you would file a complaint with them.

That should be what you need to light that contractor up.
    take care. ttyl
  • That is a case for small claims court. Hopefully you have kept all of the emails that you have between you and he, which will have some information that a deal was made. While you should have the contract often times a email will show what was supposed to happen. You might also want to look on Angieslist and see if the contractor has other complaints on them. But it should only cost about 25-50 to file in small claims court and if the defendant doesn't show you will automatically be awarded the money. Also as the other be sure to call the better business in your area. Typically you can see it on your state's website.
  • The door guy finally showed up, and the work is being done. It has just been difficult because of the uncertainity of their intentions. Plus, I've been sick so long, I don't have the capacity to deal with the additional stress. It has really zapped my energy, and my pain level is about 9.

It is just an example of how important it is to protect yourself when dealing with people and money, especially when you are not at your emotional and physical peak.

Time to rest......L
  • There is probably an even easier solution. Send him an email that nicely but firmly states that you expect the door to be installed within the week or that he return the money. If not you will file in small claims court and if there is anything in your emails that identify the store he was getting it from let him know that you will notify them as well as a third party to the suit.

I handled alot of these in work and personal and the key is nice but firm. Give him an opportunity to correct the problem in a set period of time.
  • I think it is resolved...but my heart was beating out of my chest...and then I locked myself out of my house this morning. I had to wait on the door guy to help me, because luckily I had left a window unlocked...but it was stuck, and because of my fusion, I couldn't open it myself.

Just a cluster.....

I'm so glad that I have you guys :-)
  • and to top it off, I think what is really bothering me is that my LTD insurance co. is only giving me a month's benefit, and I have to see a doctor of their choosing to decide if I'm considered disable from my extremely physical job. Lifting/positional patients, repetitive pushing/pulling 275 lb stretchers, 500 lb beds, CPR, keeping patients from falling off the OR table.

I can only lift about 8 lbs now, and can't push a 15 lb vaccumm....and I have job specific disability...and can't believe that they can even question the fact that a fusion patient can not go back to that kind of work...

Hopefully the doctor that evaluates me will decide my fate based on my medical records. Those records speak for themselves.