Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did anyone else experience this post surgery pain?

lisadaylenellisadaylene Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Ok, up until now, I thought that I could deal with this, hoping that it would go away slowly. I am going to contact the doctor today. It has been 12 days since my double fusion and this is the only real pain I am having. The skin continues to hurt/burn? on my butt and very top of the back of my thighs. Sometimes feels like bad sunburn, or may pins and needles. The skin is not hot to touch or red at all. It is temporary nerve damage? I have read on another web site of two people with this and it went away in about a month. Nothing I put on the skin helps at all, and I think that is because it is coming from deep down. Thank you if anyone knows what is causing this. Until this goes away it is nothing but loose flowing clothes for me.

• You are so fresh out of surgery that I imagine you're going to feel a lot of strange things in the weeks to come. About two weeks after my 1-lvl TLIF, I started having the worst pain down my legs that I've ever had, much more than pre-op, and had to use a walker to get around. It settled down after a couple of weeks and things started improving, albeit slowly.

You've just had major surgery and post-op can bring on so many different things, so try not to worry.

Of course, with that being said, if you're concerned, never hesitate to call your surgeon and discuss the problem - that's what they're there for.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon. I found that measuring progress by weeks instead of days is best when it comes to post-op spine surgery recovery.

• lisadaylene I posted this on the other forum as well, and will post here too in case you read one place and not other, or if it helps someone else who only reads one place'

I had burning sensations on my skin, and got a script for Lidcaine patches, it helped with the burning sensation on the skin, but not with the deep pain. You might want to ask doc if the Lidocaine patches are an option for you.

• Thank you for your quick replies! Eve, I have those patches in my bathroom for knee pain, I am going to ask the doctor to let me try them. Thank you for that.
    And Cath111, you are right, I am fresh from surgery, and I think because I am doing so good,that this annoyance is starting to bug me a lot. The doctor's office is calling me later on after talking to the doctor. So hopefully it will go away in time. Thank you very much.
  • I cannot tell you what it is or what is the cause of your discomfort. I too was unusually sensitive to touch after my fusion. The area of sensitivity did correlate to the dermatome map of the same vertebrae that were fused. It was quite annoying. It did fade away, but I cannot recall how long that took. I do remember how much it bothered me. I had a lot of pain post-op, but the sensitivity bothered me just as much. My medication did nothing to lessen that feeling. I never found any relief for this issue except time. I had trouble wearing clothing also. The pressure from sitting and laying down aggravated my sensitive areas, making it hard to get comfortable. It was that bad for me. Do not hesitate to ring your surgeon with any problems/questions that you may have. I never asked my doctor about it. I did talk to some members of SH in chat about it though. I hope you get some relief. At 12 days I had a lot of pain, from the incision and internally. I am glad that you are doing well except for this issue. I am almost jealous, as I had a lots of pain at 12 days out. I had a 360 L4-S1. Best of luck to you!

• OK, you are describing my pain completely. Totally sensitive to touch, cannot even imagine wearing jeans for a long long time! And yes, the pain medicines do nothing for it. I am going to ask if in addition to my meds if I can try the Lidocaine patches. I am sorry to hear that you had lots of pain 12 days out, and I am always waiting though hoping not to have anything more. Thank you for taking the time to write, it makes me feel better that someone had the same problem, and that is what this wonderful website is for.
  • and its just got worse and more debilitating as times gone on ..sorry its not good news!! i am due a discography 23 sept to see if a multilevel fusion is possible .i hope that your pain settles down