Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Voltaren anyone??

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
The best I could find when searching the site are a few posts from 2008/2009.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The physiatrist prescribed this today. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks -- the good, the bad and the ugly.

• I haven't tried it, as I was off NSAIDS before I got to chronic pain care. I do know it's a very strong NSAID.
  • I was on both slow-release and instant-release Voltaren (diclofenac) the first time I herniated a disc, and I got some relief from it, along with muscle relaxants. If you have any gastric problems or are going to be taking it long-term, you should probably consider taking something to protect your stomach also (it's standard practice to give some kind of antacid with long-term NSAID use). I had an intramuscular shot of diclofenac for an acute attack of gout once, and the relief was quite dramatic.
  • I tried it for a while before my surgerys but it made me feel sick..I know of many others that it has helped along with the heat cream they make

I now use Mobic as my Anti Inflammitory

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    Both to help with the discomfort of arthritis.

I've used the Voltaren Gel several times on my shoulders. It did provide me with some level of relief.

I've never used the voltaren pills
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I forgot to add that he gave me the gel so it shouldn't bother my stomach. I am not finding any immediate relief but I read somewhere that it takes a week for it to work. Others say it is instant. I kinda feel like I paid $35 for a tube of Bengay - lol.

Next week I should be starting the PT so maybe that will help. Thanks for your answers.
  • I was taking 1 pill twice a day. Surgeon prescribe it at 6 months. I do get relief from it. My PM changed my prescription to one extended release daily. I have noticed some gastric disturbance. I try to eat with it, but I have also resorted to taking Tums.