Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does PT usually last after a fusion

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby saw the PT person and has been going for two weeks now. His therapist is a young man and seems really knowledgeable. On his initial examination, the senior therapist told him that he should only have to go for about five sessions as he was in good shape. They are working on building up core muscles and he is doing everything that he is told to do plus continuing the walking. Yesterday the therapist said that he should continue to do this for the rest of his life and he would keep adding exercises as we went along. It is costing sixty bucks each time he goes and we can't continue paying this forever. What would be the average time length for PT given that he is feeling no pain during the exercises and he is sixty-six years old.

• I had a huge 360 fusion, my first round of physical therapy was 3 times a week for 4 months, that includes water therapy. Then about 9 months later I had another round of physical therapy, 3 times a week for 2 months. And then walking every day too & doing exercises at home. It does get tiring but I am always so grateful for the treatments & the insurance, I have made lots of $20 copayments for physical therapy but the ins. company has paid out a lot for the therapy visits. It gets tiresome, I know but the physical therapy will end at some point.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    The time frame for Physical therapy will vary patient to patient. If there is such thing as a 'norm', I believe most doctors start off with 3 weeks of 2x a week. A lot depends on the actual surgery, how involved it was and the overall physical condition of the patient prior to and after surgery.

Physical therapy can be divided into these phases:

1. Evaluation: Here is when the therapist evaluates the over physical condition of the patient and matches it up to the written prescription.

2. Stretching: Here is when gentle stretching starts and can build up to accelerated by not aggressive stretching. The use of the color bands come into play.
    This is normally weeks 1 to 3

3. Strengthening: Here is when more aggressive actions take place. The use of weeks and other equipment is put into play. This can last from 3 to 9 weeks.

Not everyone goes through these phases but they are pretty common.

For myself:

Lumbar surgeries - 3 to 5 weeks of PT
    Cervical surgeries - 3 weeks
    Thoracic problems - 26 weeks
    Recent shoulder replacement - 54 weeks

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com