Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New onset pain after PT

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while, but I've been here, reading still. I'm 10 weeks post op PLIF and in my second week of PT. I've had 6 sessions so far and have run into a wall..ugh. After yesterday's session I felt fine for about an hour, then suddnely had pain in my lower back, right buttock (which is the affected side) and left groin (which is the UNaffected side). Stange huh?

I went into PT this morning and mentioned this to the PT and he seemed a little perplexed. He backed off on some of the heavier leg stretches, but everything else remained the same. Right now we're doing ultrasound, electrostimulation, manual muscle manipulation, bilateral leg stretchs (passive), and some weight resistant therapy of the legs.

He said he'd put in a call to my NS just to let him know what's what, especially about the groin pain. I'm just hoping that nothing has gone wrong this soon after surgery. Beside the post-op pain, yesterday was the absolute worst since surgery, and today is just a tad better. Muscles relaxers aren't touching it and the pain meds are barely making a dent. I've learned from experience to just let it run its course and try the other stuff, so I've been alternating bath of hot water and the old heating pad. Thank goodness for heat.

Just wanted to vent for a minute...and actually I'm kinda hiding out. My mother in law has been here with us for 16 days while her floors are getting changed in her house. Yes, I said SIXTEEN days. So all of your prayers for my back and my sanity would be appreciated. ~X(

And I was wondering if anybody experienced any new onset symptoms after starting PT post op???

• Howdy! Sorry to hear PT caused a flare, or new pain. I've had post op PT and have found that sometimes "new" stuff hurts as they work the surgical area. On my last for my cervical, it literally put me in tears for 3 days - and for me that's a LOT of pain as I don't cry easily. I told my NS about it, and he stopped my PT, x-rays looked good, so he let my neck/shoulders and back settle down. As I was told, "minor pain" is to be expected, but moderate or intense, either the PT pushed too hard, or something is being hurt. I hope you feel better soon Stacey. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yeah, I'm 7 or 8 weeks post op and every time I go to PT my symptoms worsen. Neck strengthening exercises and stretches, seems like even massage flares up my pain. But I always recover and seem to feel better the following week. All I can say is be patient and don't expect to improve every day. If every two weeks you get a little better, then your work is paying off. Good luck with the family.
  • Hello,
    Any increase in activity will increase the pain and in doing these will help in the longer term and it is better to be doing something socially emotionally psychologically. You are now helping yourself and can do no more and perhaps discuss where that threshold of acceptance is for you, it is always a balancing act between doing what is good in the longer term for that increased pain now and only you can decide how much of that you can tolerate. This should be a partnership of collective benefit not attempt to put the patients off from attending and helping themselves.

Anyone doing PT in chronic pain is doing well and it does hurt and over time that should become less, if you went and were not pushed how helpful would that be and in most cases it is only a matter of tweaking and finding that balance of when it hurts and when it does not. In not doing them will not help you in the future, every practitioner should have the patients condition prevalent.

That floor laying strategy sounds painful also.

Take care.

• laid floor and lain on the floor....

Neither is very usefull for some back/neck problems. for others it is a good stretch or release.

There was a dear a**ey story a while back, a woman wrote in because she would walk into her mothers house and find her laying on the kitchen floor. When asked, her mother said the cool hard flat floor made her back hurt less. It blew my mind because the daughter was trying to get dear A**ey to tell her how to get mom to stop doing that!

Obviously a case of someone never having back issues. I'd bet everyone here could understand how on certain days that would indeed feel good!

On some days I have taken the second half of my lunch hour to lay on the floor with my legs propped up on a chair.
    It's in my office, no one sees and on a good day I can even fall asleep for 15-20 minutes!
  • Yes, I have had PT pain flareups and yes, they mostly can be avoided. Ask the PT person to take a close look at how the leg machine is set up. Your really need to be supported correctly when your sitting. I found that I had to jot down my machine settings, including the seating position, and check them before each use. I almost always had to put them back into position for me. If your having that much of a flareup I would say something is wrong in how your doing your exercises and not with anything internaly. See what your doctor says. I found that any kind of twisting, at all, gave me fits of pain for a few days.

Maybe try backing away from doing the most recent added exercises and see if it helps any.
  • My mother in law is finally back in her own home after 18 days of being here with us. I'm not sure exactly what took so long, but I'm sure my two daughters and the seven dwarfs could have gotten the job done faster.

My PT spoke to my NS and we've readjusted the exercises. Still having pain in the same areas, but not quite as intense. Also cut back to 2 days a week instead of 3. We'll see how that works out. I'm still walking a lot. I get lazy with that because then I know I'll be in way more pain than I am now.

Thanks for the feedback!
This discussion has been closed.