Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post op visit

paulab67ppaulab67 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone,
Today I saw my surgeon. it is exactly 3mos today since my fusion. I am still having alot of nerve pain. The dr. looked at my xrays and said healing is not taking place yet. Does that mean the bone is not fusing? My surgeon is sssooooo busy that he runs in and runs out before I can remember all my questions. I bet some of you are thinking...write down your questions for next visit. I am going to start doing that. Anyway, I am still on the same meds I was on before surgery. Neurontin and Norco. The dr informed me today that the healing may never take place??? :O :O Then why did I go thru the pain of surgery if it isn't gonna get better??????? Before I had the surgery, he told me I would be 85% better than I was before the surgery. Now he is saying it may not even heal??????? OH BOY!!!! That doesn't make me happy at all. I had a rough time in the hospital and when i came home. I am still having really bad nerve pain. He started me on PT. I am not looking forward to that. I know it's gonna hurt. Gonna give it all i can though. I am so discouraged right now. All that pain of surgery and I may not heal. I am trying to think positive. :< ~X( Not easy though. Hope all of you have a fine weekend coming up. >:D< >:D< :)
advertisement

Comments

• your healing hasn't started yet after 3 months. I also think it's so negative for your surgeon to say that it might NEVER heal, that's the last thing you want to hear after having surgery. And do others think it's a bit early in your recovery to say such things? Has anyone else experienced the same feedback so soon after surgery?

I'll be seeing my own surgeon on Tuesday 14 September (at 9 weeks post op) and am really hopeful that, after x-rays, he will tell me that he can see signs of the fusion beginning to take. After your comments though, I'm now worried because, for the last 2 weeks, I've had increased back pain and my sciatica in my right leg has also come back aaarrrghh! I know exactly how you feel and how frustrating it is, but do hang in there, it may just be that you're healing a little slower than others perhaps, though obviously I'm no expert.

Has your surgeon's team booked you in for another appointment to monitor any progress? I wouldn't have expected your surgeon to say you might NEVER heal until a good space of time has lapsed after surgery - when he's got regular x-ray evidence to compare them with, or am I being naiive?

DO write down your questions - it's so easy to forget to ask them when everyone seems to be so busy.

I know it's very difficult to stay positive (I have to keep telling myself the same thing!!!) so I really sympathise with you at the moment.

Do anything/everything you can that makes you feel good!! and please keep posting your comments so we can see how you're getting on OK?
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thanks Sue,
    I was shocked that the dr said I may never heal. He also dropped on me that he won't be filling my meds anymore. That my regular dr. has to do that now. It's a good thing I am not out of my meds and have awhile to make an appt to get refills. I am just really frustrated with yesterday's visit. When i see my regular dr. I am gonna talk to him about my pain. I am hoping PT helps my pain as well. We will see. I have had PT before for other issues and it never worked. So I am kind of going into PT with a negative attitude which is not good. :< As for my xrays, I am not sure if he compared the last one to the one I had done for yesterday's appt. I would hope he did. Anyway, take care. :)
  • Paula, Don't you just dislike it when people around you are negative about a situation. My mother always said can't never could. It must be really bad with the DR being negative. Try to think positive thoughts about your outcome. Think on good things and try to bring yourself out of this DRs visit because, thankfully, he is not the end all, be all, of the situation. Please continue to write you thoughts on this board to get them out so that you can be all you can be. I will probably have to come back and read this myself one day as I am having a PLIF on Thursday - haha - Take care and try to keep positive. (as much as you can) Traci
    Traci
  • Hi Paula, I am 16 days post op double fusion. Did your doctor prescribe a bone stimulator? I wear mine around my waist and back two hours every day, I was told it can speed bone fusion and healing by half. Are you having the same nerve pain I am? My butt and top of the backs of my thighs feel like sunburn or really bad pins and needles. It is the only pain I have, without it I would be fine. I am going to get staples removed tomorrow, and will ask him about maybe a epidural steriod injection by iv. Some have had luck with that.
    I don't understand why your doctor told you what he did, and I would be really upset too. That is why I love this website, no-one but people who have lived through this truly understands. I wish you the best, hope you see the start of healing soon.
  • Wow Paula, I can't believe your surgeon said that, and so soon too. I would be feeling pretty negative too. I wonder though, if he thinks he is "preparing" you for the worst when actually you may start to fuse yet. Some of these surgeons are not very good at "people" skills. (Not that I am defending him you understand, just hoping that he is wrong)I am sure I have read on this site about folks who don't start fusing till later.

I am sorry, I can't help with the wierd sunburn feeling - I never had that.
advertisement