Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone in that much pain that they can't eat ??

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
hi folks
it me again .i was wondering am i on my own with this one or not ..i guess not ..i have noticed that when i am having ibd flare up even when i am reclining and kath brings me in my favorite meal ..i just can't eat it due to pain ..i dont feel sick ..its just that the pain is so over whelming.i talk to my doctor and he said that pain like you have is a bad a terminal pain and you will have days like this !! so my question ..has anyone else had this ..?? it tend to be around tea time .i can always manage morning food and lunch that's around 1pm to me ..i always eat good food .no fried food i am a vegetarian too and have been since i was about 3 ..i just refused to eat any meat /fish products .i live of veg and fruit and bread and cereal .{and good quality chocolate!} but i have notice that teatime can be a struggle for me lately ..but i am in awful pain all the time and even on large amounts of pain killers i am still feeling a deep dull pain ..o the joy!!
tony x

• I was never quite that bad although there were days when I knew I couldn't stand long enough to make something to eat so I just wouldn't eat all day unless there was an apple or something like that to hand. I never felt hungry at these time though. I also found the tramadol dulled my appetite quite substantially.
  • Tony,

Sadly, yes been there, done that, wore the shirt! My last fusion has been a nightmare as you've probably seen. Before I was put on Lyrica, I would get so bad, I didn't eat for up to 3 days! If I did eat, I would toss it shortly! My NS didn't call it 'terminal pain' for me, just high scale - way too high pain. I haven't been to that level again since I've been on nerve pain meds. I hope they can find a way for you to get away from that pain level Tony. *HUGZ*

Small correction.. I have had the "toss" post eat pain thanks to my C2/3 in the form of horrendous headaches! Solved that with small bites, as big (hot dog like) bites bring on the headaches from hell!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Straker,
    This is interesting. Yes I too have noticed waves of god awful pain.
    I have tried to see if there is a link with food stuffs and got so far as learning that foods high which are inflammatory (nuts, tomatoes, wheat, coconut etc) seem to make this terrible flu - like ache worse.
    I also wondered if there was a link with my meds (tolerance) but the symptoms are inconsistent with due doses times and not always present when I tuck into the naughty foods.

I don't really know what this is - The brain making a new tune of pain because we not listening to the old one??
    Take care.
  • When my pain is high on the scale, food is the last thing on my mind!!
  • All I can say is I'm with you on that one brother! My wife would get her feelings hurt when I wouldn't eat a nice dinner or anything. I tried to tell her when the pain kicks up, I literally cannot eat. I have had bad flare weeks where I went in to the doc and was down 10 lbs in a week. Done it several times and I'm not a big guy to begin with so thats a lot. I just do my best to focus on getting something into my system. I just sip water, juice, or soda pop. Anything that I can keep down. Sometimes small pieces of granola bars or things like that can go down but the only time I really am able to eat is when the pain goes down. You've probably had a lot more experience managing pain than I have so I won't give you advice. I wish I could. Just know you're not alone. This sucks and I hope you can get things under control soon. I'm sure you'll be in a lot of peoples prayers.

Hang in there....
  • I sometimes have days when I simply can't eat due to pain. I assumed everyone did...
  • its OK to hear it from a medical text book via the doctor .but i feel better now that i know my friends also have the same problem too..dont get me wrong i dont want anyone to be in so much pain that can't eat but it seams that every day i find something new to worry about ..its the ...is this normal syndrome??...
    but it make sense if you think about it ..when you are upset or tired or in pain you are bound to feel our of sorts ..yet again i have had 2 hours sleep but today the ache has been relentless i have just been taking pain killers on demand to keep from screaming ..i cant believe just how bad things have gotten over the last few years ,, not long off now for the dreaded discography 23 Sept
    thanks again
    tony x
  • Hang in there, Tony - as you said, not long now until the discogram, and then hopefully you can make some progress. Don't forget your old pal, 24-hour TV, when things get rough... ;-)

I have an MRI lined up next Friday, then a consult with a neurosurgeon - they are concerned about the level of pressure on my spinal cord (C3-C6) and are talking about an emergency operation to relieve it (paralysis is the main concern). The good thing about living over here is that I can get appointments and tests organised pretty quickly, usually within days or a couple of weeks at most. The bad thing is that pain management is very limited. To get back to the topic at hand, this is all affecting my appetite - not just the pain, but the anxiety and depression too.

• Tony,

Sadly we all go through "is this normal" when our spines make us hurt, sick, sad, mad, writhing in pain etc. What of course as you know, is this site lets us validate we aren't nuts after all, but "normal" as spineys go! Sad but true!

As you know with me, my activities over the years are making me 'cascade', so I never know what each day will bring. It's like the different levels "fight" for who gets to hurt more today? Sucks.. But people like you and Joydancer, Kris, Charry, C, Ron, etc., help keep us all grounded because we don't judge, we share and care. Goes a long way with me, and you too from many of your posts. *HUGZ*

You may have read in Ron's post of "What do you fear" I think that was the thread title, I got pretty down in it - it was one of those days don't cha know! Well, what was good about that post, is my fear is "how bad is it going to get?" Tony, I have come to realize that those of us with multiple areas and levels, and folks like you that have a level..now maybe levels that have been fubar'd, and are still trying to get things wired right, THAT is the underlying fear - how bad, or will this surgeon at least get me where my life is kinda back?!?! We're all here for ya darlin! Big gentle *HUGZ* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Tony,

Yes, I know what you mean. Its hard to work up an appetite when you are hurting all over. Especially if you have to get it yourself!

Lately my pain has been "managable" with my meds, but I find I need to force myself to eat. Rarely ever eat breakfast anymore. My consolation prize should be losing a few pounds, but no, sadly that hasn't happened!!

Hang in there Tony, better days are coming, your spiney friends are here for you.

Take care,

• thankfully i have kath in my corner so i dont have to prepare a meal for myself .i dont mind cooking or ironing or any domestic duties but at the moment i just can't do it .{i have NEVER felt pain like it }
  • I was losing weight up until my surgery. Just didn't feel like eating, food didn't taste good and if I didn't eat enough with the pills, the nasuaeaeu would get to me. I think if you force yourself to eat that first little meal the other ones aren't quite so hard. But yeah, I had a very small appetite and only for my absolute favorite foods, never for fruit or a ham and cheese sandwich. Hang in there man.
  • you have a discogram coming up? when? God bless you...I'm so chicken...I've put it off for two years! I had a myelogram and it hurt so bad...i have heard the discograms are painful when they trigger your pain spots! I have so many bulging/herniated discs that I am afraid I would not let them finish once they got started!! zI think I have a low pain tolerance...I'[m whimp!!!
  • I ate half a bowl of cereal this am and nothing else all day b/c I'm in such extreme pain. Food is not anything I care about. My hubby just got the ice cream out (my weakness) for everyone...I passed...just "don't they get it that I'm in so much pain I don't even want to be alert right now! Offer to hit me on the head with baseball bat and I'd probably say yes".
  • my appetite is only effected on some days when the pain is extremely bad i tend to eat healthy food and like may older people i eat the same thing every day and i tend to not over eat .its just when your wife has taken the time to make your evening meal and it looks lovely but ends up in the bin i feel bad about that but she understands ..i dont eat crap food no mac d for me no pizza or burgers ..al my food tens to be fresh veg and fruit and home made stuff i can't stand over processed stuff and kath is an excellent cook
  • my appetite is only effected on some days when the pain is extremely bad i tend to eat healthy food and like may older people i eat the same thing every day and i tend to not over eat .its just when your wife has taken the time to make your evening meal and it looks lovely but ends up in the bin i feel bad about that but she understands ..i dont eat crap food no mac d for me no pizza or burgers ..al my food tens to be fresh veg and fruit and home made stuff i can't stand over processed stuff and kath is an excellent cook
  • >:D<

My dear Tony, I wish you all the best for the 23rd..

Also, yes I have no appetite at all..The Dr said its due to the Medications and the bone marrow graft cage they put in at L3/4 when they fused it in April..I just look at the plate and play with the food like when I was little..

• Another vegetarian! I never liked meat or fish as a child, either, but I do like fish (not seafood) now, only I rarely eat it. Actually, we eat an all plant-based diet in our home.

Just wanted to say that seeing you're a vegetarian put a big smile on my face. :D And, kudos to you for eating healthfully!

Wishing you didn't have those days of unbelievable pain that take away your appetite but something tells me this period of time will turn out to be a blessing if you are indeed a candidate for fusion because having this much more horrible pain now would logically make post-op pain seem less intense (assuming the fusion fixes what's causing your current chronic pain).

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • thanks for your PM and comments on this post
  • I've always been one of those people who is always hungry. I swear, I could have the flu and I'd still want to eat. BUT, the pain was so bad before I had surgery (and during a few of my flare-ups afterwards) that I could NOT eat. I lost about 15 pounds (a little over a stone) after surgery. Spent all my time learning to heal and avoid the pain, so I didn't eat a whole heck of a lot.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.