Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI R Knee

MissPiggy1MMissPiggy1 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
I went to an ortho doctor wendesday because my right knee keeps swelling for the past six weeks or so. So he did an xray. I put most of my weight on my right leg protecting my left leg from so much pain everyday from standing 3/4 of the day at work. It swells it up really good. He said the xray looks like a torn meniscus so I had an MRI this morning. So now I get to wait at least through the weekend. Blaaa..
I know why it keeps swelling. I favor and protect my left leg as it causes a lot of pain from lumbar stenosis.
Does this make any sense?
So now I'm using my left leg a little more and that causes some kind of aweful spasms. I called out from work last week because I could barely put any weight on my leg. So I stuffed pillows ice more ice, cold pack on my leg and hot pad on my back and a blanket over me. I looked like a penguin in the desert
I absolutely hate the wait time for results on anything. Ask my husband. I'm so thankful for him. He's always helping me. Now I just need to talk him into the recliner I melted into at Sams the other day.
Heck of a week.

• Hi...maybe it's just fluid on the knee? My husband has been having the same issue since my 1st back surgery a year ago. When he got an appt, the doctor put him on celebrex (which I think is an anti-arthritic). That partially worked and so did rest and elevation.

I hope yours is just irritated like my husband's and something a little RICE will fix.
  • You're right. Thank you for the incouragement.
    I've started the past two weeks that everytime I bump my arms I get like a red blister and if it gets the slightest bump it breaks and bleeds. I'm only 57yrs old and my body all the sudden has made a turn to that of a 87yrs old.
  • Torn miniscus alright and need to have surgery. Its so painful and I feel like screaming at the end of the day. The doc said I could stand to loose a few lbs and of course my sweet supporting hubby tells me when we get in the truck "you really need to consider losing 30lb first."
    Yes, I know, and I am trying to do just that, but please quit bringing home the Blue Bell ice cream. Ice cream is my biggest down fall and the worst for me.
    So back to the diet that I never should have gone off.
    I need to loose anyway. I'm 50lbs over weight.
    Any ideas for a healthy quick-fix diet?
  • Sorry to hear about your knee and needing surgery. I lost 45 lbs last year and mainly I drank a lot of water flavored or just plain. I cut my portions back and had oatmeal in the morning and a fruit, light lunch and dinner with lots of veggies and yogurt for dessert and cut out juices completely and just ate fruit. I have the same weakness for ice-cream and can't have it in the house at all. Include nuts in your diet a small amount and cut the carrot or celery to be ready to grab on impulse. I was unable to exercise much so it is harder to lose weight if you're limited as with your knee. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Another problem is next week I go for an EMG. If that says surgery soon then which do I do first?
    My knee isn't holding up well, I can stay on it for maybe ten minutes at a time pushing it, my back is weak and its about ten minutes on my feet is about all I can take for my back pain.
    And another biggy is my daughter is getting married 10/10/10
    Aurgh... I can't take the stress of making decisions anymore.
    :''( ~X(
  • if it were me (i was actually in this situation before), i would opt for the knee repair first. you are going to need to walk to help get your back get better post op, and you can't really do that too well with a bum knee. just my 2 cents (i guess in canada here it's more like my 1.94 cents worth :D )
  • How about a walker with a seat in it? I used one for a short time walk and then sit, walk and sit. I hope you can get your surgery before your daughter's wedding and Congrats! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm sitting in the Dr office waiting for my EMG. I forgot the surgeon for my knee is in Egypt until Oct 11th and for my long term disabilty I want to get things going with that and over with. Right now I want to get my results from the EMG right away. I don't know this doc so I hope I don't have to wait long.
    I'm very nervous. :SS
  • I wanted to cry so bad leaving the Drs office but it wouldn't help any. The doctor said the nerve that I had my laminectomy(L4-L5) in june 2005 is partially injured or damaged but electrical impulse is within normal limits(the audio nerve sounds) . So without going in, we won't know if that is in fact(which won't happen)true or correct. So any surgery can be inconclusive. That is except for my knee. So it will be interseting what the actual written report says.
  • I just got a surgery date for 10/14. I would have had it by now but the doc has gone on vacation out of the country. I don't look forward to this but will be very happy(I hope) when its over.
  • My knee surgery was changed to thurs 10/28. I sure hope its worth the wait. I'm in so much pain, my back is having fits causing extra pain in both legs, like pain in my right knee but my left leg is having stronger spasms and all over pain and still working full time. I'm really really tired and drained of energy. Having the knee surgery will be painful I'm sure but having the recupe time is what I'm looking forward to. Make sense?
  • I tore my meniscus on 7/1 and had the surgery on 7/21. My knee was almost normal after 2 weeks. It still hurts just a tad at times. Not sure if it is nerve pain from my spine (like you). At any rate the knee was much quicker to heal than either of my fusions :) it stinks that the ortho for the knee is out of the country >:D< I don't know how you are managing. I was a complete mess and near tears every time I had to walk. Sleeping was impossible combine the back pain with the knee pain. I used ice around the clock and took the pain meds but nothing seemed to help. You are one tough cookie <):)

Only a few more days now- hang on >:D< .

• Hey did the PA offer you a steroid shot in the knee? It did help me a little.

I work from home (had no time off). Hid it from my employer....

Good luck,

This discussion has been closed.