Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Things going from bad to worse :(

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Surgery just can't come quick enough for me. I swear my pain level escalates by the minute. I do not know whether the meds just aren't working anymore, whether I am developing hyperalgesia, or what- but it was really a bad time for my doctor to bail.

Right now I am also developing terrible joint pain in my ankles and hips. I have burning pain on my skin all down the back of my legs. I am having days where I am not even up to taking a shower :(

My back feels really unstable, and makes a grinding noise every time I move. I can't stand or sit up straight without pain, but have to be in sort of a hunched position. I can't bend at all anymore. Luckily I am still walking OK, thank goodness.

But I'm having trouble staying ahead of the pain and my good pain doctor isn't there and I am sad. I am thinking of calling for an appointment with the other doctor and seeing if he is better than the one I saw last time, or talking to my surgeon about taking over pain management until surgery. I am considering asking to go back to the patch. I'd gladly try something else if the doctor had any ideas.

But at the moment, I am about to cry, which is not something I do often just because of pain.

• Sorry to hear you are feeling as you are. I would try BOTH options - the new doctor, and your surgeon. Your surgeon really should know that your pain levels are getting out of control! Me, my first call would be to my surgeon....then the 'partner' from your former doctors office. Take care, again, sorry you are hurting and sad.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry you are having such a miserable time. I can relate, as what you described above sounds so similar to what I have. It's normal to cry (or feel like crying) under such conditions: when bone is grinding on bone and your whole back feels like it's on fire, with burning nerve pain shooting down your arms and legs, and every small, mundane task feeling like a huge ordeal.... it's enough to make anyone sad and desperate. I know it may be little consolation, but you're not alone.

I hope you are able to arrange better pain management with your doctors. Maybe they need to adjust the dose or switch you to something else for a while? I hope you get some relief soon.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    1. Warm baths
    2. Ice/heat
    3. Stay away from the computer

I am a perfect example regarding #3. Computer hours over the past 35 years definitely contributed to a lot of my spinal problems. Reducing your time online, while might not be what you want to do is probably something that you need to do.

You can't always get what you want
    And if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Actually, I just got a new laptop for my birthday so that should keep me out of the computer chair, but one issue is that laying down isn't helping like it used to.

I am just not sure where the burning is coming from.
  • sorry....you sound like me right now...i guess we'll cry together. when is your surgery scheduled for?

i think you should try both doctors to see what they can do for your pain....what are you on now?

hope you have a better night.
  • Hey there...I wish I had advice. I'm having what I hope is just a flare up now. About 2 weeks ago, had some really bad sharp pains. Then last week I was ok. Then yesterday I started with that really 'sore' skin. It hurts to touch.

I'm trying my stretches, ibuprofin (b/c I suspect I might have inflammation in the lower back), walked but not too far, and lying down (yes, have a laptop holder thing). I'm even being careful to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees. I'm not even sleeping on my side. Ice is next. Luckily I've held off on pain meds this week. 2 weeks ago I gave in and took some.

If that fails, I bet a piece of chocolate cake wouldn't hurt.
  • When the burning gets bad I have to ice. I have 2 soft packs that I can velcro to me and then I have a bag full of the ones I get from the drs that I use behind my back or buttock. The soft ones form nice around my calf or cover my foot. Sometimes I ice up to 3xs a day for relief. I try to stay on top of my meds rather than wait for the pain to come on too strong and then I can't get in front of the pain. These are my secret remedies for those burning gnawing days. LOL The stabbing severe days are treating different.
  • there a lot of pain getting worse on this site at the moment .i concur with everything you are saying .but dont have any answers for you .you may want to ask your doctor for some different pain killers and a good quality TENS used in conjunction with pain killers helps .when your pain gets as bad as many of us on here a TENS on its own is more or less useless.Ron's ideas are good {i can't take a bath because we dont have one and i can't get in and out of one anyway .and due to a childhood incident i am scared of baths .i will pm anyone that want to know about that one ,just try and rest and a good cry helps dont hold it in .i cry many times due to pain .its a normal reaction to pain you have to remember that our type of pain is not normal and unfortunately many of us are going to suffer for the rest of out lives so do what you can to relive it ..can you get radion B spray over there? i find that's a good pain killer {short term} other than that plenty of pain killers and rest rest rest ..if you are feeling up to it try some stretching ..i know that you will need to be in a better place before you can do that but its worth tying when you are feeling better ...and you will feel better ..you know you will
    thinking of you
    tony x
  • I'm sorry that I don't remember when you are having your surgery. I would think that your surgeon could accelerate your surgery based upon the severity of your symptoms and the likelihood of success.

I hope it's just a matter of days, not weeks or months. Given that they are planning surgery, that's an acknowledgement that your condition is serious and I would think that your surgeon would be willing to step up your your meds to get your pain down to a tolerable level.

I feel for you and Straker, and everyone else who is counting the days until surgery. I have my bad days, but I think my pain pales in comparison to what some of you are going through.
  • Apparently the surgeon is pretty booked, and I can't even get in for my next consult until the 29th. Sigh.

I'm sure it will all work out.

My pain situation seems to be getting a bit better. I've backed off my activity level even more. I hate to do that, but it seems to be helping :(

I also have an appt. with my GP to see if I can figure out what's up with this joint pain.
This discussion has been closed.