Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 level ALIF 8/17 followed by lamenectomy/discectomy 9/8 - feeling better

BorderlessBBorderless Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had my fusion done on 8/17.

At the time my doctor was sure he got every last remnant of the disc material (I had DDD at L4/L5 and L5/S1 as well as a herniation at L5/S1).

A few weeks post surgery I was still have leg pain so he sent me for an MRI where he discovered there was still a fragment there. Went in for outpatient lam/disc on Wednesday (9/8) and was home by noon. Quite amazing actually. My leg pain has just about dissipated completely and I feel like I'm recovering well now.

I've weaned myself off of the painkillers to the point where I'm down to 1 to 1.5 percocets a day. I'm only taking them to avoid withdrawal - don't need them for pain.

Question for the group... does drinking alcohol slow down the fusion process?

• Glad you got through your surgeries well. I think while taking percocets even though weaning down you shouldn't drink alcohol until you're completely off your medications. Is your follow up appointment coming up soon with your Surgeon? I would ask him about having a glass of wine or drink would be okay while your healing. Best wishes for a full recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, Borderless,

It's good to hear how great you're doing. Thanks for sharing that. :)

If you're only taking 1 - 1.5 percs a day, you could just stop altogether and never even miss them, I'm betting. Were you on some form of oxycodone before your surgery? If not, you haven't been on them long enough to even have withdrawal. I was on 5 mg oxycodone every hour, around the clock, for three weeks after my total knee replacement, then I dropped down to 5 mg every two hours for another three weeks, then I just stopped them. Never had the slightest withdrawal symptoms.

Of course, I'm just sharing my opinion here, and my own experience. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Thanks for all your responses.

I left out of my original email that I assumed I shouldn't drink at all without first getting of the percocet.... Which I am completely off of now.

I also had my follow up and my doctor confirmed that a glass of wine certainly won't interfere with the fusion process. In his words : just don't get so drunk you fall down and ruin our hard work. That's not happening.

Sound like the biggest thing to stay away from (other than smoking of course) is NSAIDs like advil or aleve or aspirin. Tylenol is about the only thing you can take.
  • Sounds like you're doing really well and enjoying a glass of wine again.

Wishing you all the best during the recovery time and that you'll be able to get out and start enjoying life again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008