Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post op l4/l5 micro d lastectomy (sp?)

jconner22jjconner22 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i had a micro d after dealing with lower back pain for about 3 years due to degenerative disc disesase. i went through epiderals, discogram, pain management, facet injections, surgery seemded like my only option. here i am 3 weeks out and feel absolutely no better. i did feel better the first 2 weeks, but i woke up the other morning not able to walk, bend or anything. so much pain i was in tears. i called my doc and he perscribed oxycodone and valium. i went to my first pt 2 days later and he said that the swelling should have gone down more than it had. now, my dr has me on an antibiotic and ultram (does nothing for pain). my question is, could i have reherniated my disc without knowing it? bending over, being constipated, sneezing? i have an appointment with my dr on monday, its saturday now. any ideas what i should ask? i am out of work for the 3rd week now and cannot see me going back anytime soon as i cannot sit for more than 10 minutes, i cannot stand for more than 15 or 20 and walking for more than 1/2 mile almost kills me.
please help!

• JCpconner22 - I had a laminectomy (L1) on July 27, still have pain and discomfort. Had to call the doc to get something for the pain in my hip. He put me on Neuroton and it has helped 100% - nerve pain in hip is gone. But I still need the Percocet a couple of times during the day - definitely in the morning. I am so tired of the pain, of the laying around the house. Just wanted to say hi and letyou know you are not alone.
  • Only just seen your post - so hopefully, by now, you're feeling much better?

5 years ago I had microdiscectomy on L5-S1 in June and had to have it repeated one month later because another 'bit' of disc had slipped into the same space (or something). Sometimes, albeit rarely, the procedure doesn't always work for everyone.

You mentioned 'lastectomy', but to be honest, I don't know what this is exactly. I presume the procedure is different to a microdisectomy?

If you've still got swelling, then it could just be a case of waiting until everything settles down, but at least you've been prescribed antibiotics in case anything else is going on. I too know how it feels when you sneeze - all through my 5 years of back/leg pain, it was uncomfortable to sneeze. And now, after having had a 2-level fusion in July this year, it still hurts to sneeze!

Also, I can empathise about being constipated - it always makes the pain in my back/leg so much worse, and it can last for days!!!! I think that taking some medications actually causes constipation - then you have to take other meds to relieve it. It's a vicious circle.

I'm sure by now, if your pain is still at the same high level, you would have contacted your surgeon for further advice.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!