Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

universal treatment exercises for upper back scoliosis

schoolersschooler Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Scoliosis

What kind of movement of the spine treatment is good for upper back scoliosis?

I'm 21 years old, and I'm feel small itch between my shoulders from scoliosis I've been diagnosed about 2 years ago. That time it way small one (about 5-10 deegree curve)? I think now it's a little bigger.

Have you found treating scoliosis well? Tell me some good (or bad story?) words about that issue. My fear about future, that it will worse and worse, is rational? I'm young, so I don't know what to think about my disease.

• You found a great site for information. Have you checked out the Conditions and Treatments tabs up top? That's a great place to start.

I know very little about scoliosis but I would make one suggestions. Make sure you see your doctor at least once a year to check for progression. My nephew was diagnosed when he was a young teen but his mom let it go. When they finally got him to an orthopedist the conservative treatments wouldn't work and he needed surgery.

Hope this helps. Remember that you are our best advocate. Don't expect anyone else to care as much as you do.
  • I had minor scoliosis and saw an Orthopedic Dr. and went to Physiotherapy for treatment and did well and was able to go to College and work until I got a lower back injury in my late 40's and still have mild scoliosis and kyphosis. I agree with Kris and continue close follow up with your Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi schooler,

I developed degenerative scoliosis in the last few years (I'm 62 now). The top of my highest curve is mid-back so the exercise I was given may not be appropriate for you if yours is higher. My physical therapist has me lie on my side on the floor, with my top leg bent at 90 degree angle and one hand on the bent knee. While in that position, I rotate my shoulders as far as I can towards the floor in an attempt to get my shoulders flat on the floor while my lower body is still sideways. Then, I push gently/quickly on the bent knee to put torque on the vertebrae at the top of the curve. I do that 5 times, then rest 10 seconds, then two more sets of 5. Then I turn over and do the same thing on the other side. This exercise promotes flexibility in the spine and it helped alleviate muscle cramps I was getting when I would like down flat on my back.

Of course, you should not do someone else's exercises. You need to have exercises appropriate to your condition which are prescribed by a PT. I'm just sharing what was recommended for me and how it has helped. :)

I haven't looked it up lately but I seem to recall that juvenile scoliosis usually starts at a younger age than 19 and progresses rather rapidly in most young people. It seems like you would have developed a more severe curve by now, if you were going to. Again, I'm just going on recollection of things I've read. My spine surgeon thinks I had a small degree of lumbar scoliosis as a child and that in my older years it has contributed to the degenerative scoliosis that I now have. It would make sense to have your curve checked regularly for 2-3 years to see if there are any changes. I've also had repeated itching in a spot in my upper back in recent years that I recognize as being nerve-related but I never made a possible association with the scoliosois. Interesting.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please make yourself at home and have a look around the different forums.. drop by anytime! i do hope you feel better soon! with information and knowledge you are sure to feel much better about your condition.. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thanks you for answers.

First I have to checkout good PD.

Have you found out yoga useful to treat your scoliosis?

• Tammy13TTammy13 Posts: 1
    edited 08/21/2013 - 11:23 AM
    Hi I have had this condition since I was around 6 years old. 2 years ago
    I also had an operation on my neck to replace a disc at c5 which had prolapsed. I'm told that was nothing to do with my scoliosis in my upper back, but I am now experiencing pins and needles again in my right arm and alot of pain in my arm and upper back. After a further MRI scan its been confirmed that there are no other discs damaged which is a relief, however it doesn't answer the question as to why I'm getting the same symptoms again , as I was having before my op. if anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful, or if anyone could advise me of exercises I can do to alleviate this pain, that won't cause my neck / shoulder muscles to sease up , which they do every time I exercise. Which is excruciatingly painful and stops me doing any more . Thanks x
  • I was also diagnose with scoliosis few years back and found out i also have costochondritis and disc degeneration T5 T6.. im in so much pain when my GERD is worst. I've had several PT session and chiro treatment which i think im due to see them because the pain goes away temporarily . If anyone of you can give me more exercises and remedy maybe my anxiety due to this pain will lower down a bit. Thank you
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.