Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posture ball

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Not sure if this is the correct name. Just saw on TV this ball that you sit on. I know they aren't new but they were saying that this was good for your back and posture. Plus they are good for the abs.

What does everyone think?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    It was very good for various spinal exercises and did help.
    The biggest help I got from those balls, was using it as a chair when I was on the computer. It forced you into the best possible posture position.

I still have one and use it from time to time.

I think they are a big plus for anyone with spinal problems.

But, before you just start using one, read about the various exercises you can do with them and check with your doctor and/or therapist to see if those exercises are ok for you. I can tell you first hand there are many exercises that come with the ball that could provide detrimental to people with spinal problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Love them! I have one at home and one at my office! They are fabulous and I saw the same story this morning also! It's a small world!

Be sure that it is the right size for you with your knees and hips at 90 degrees.

I have hard wood floors, the Swiss ball that I have at home has sand in it, making it heavy so it doesn't slide on the floor! As you know, I am a bit accident prone and falling off the ball is the last thing I need! :) LOL

The other benefit to sitting on the ball while working is that it activates your central nervous system resulting in increased alertness/attention span! :)
  • Kris,

Before you spend a lot of money on exercise balls with different names. Just a plain exercise ball is fine. Like jayhawk said though. Get one for your height so you sit properly on it. They come in 55cm, 65cm, and 75cm. A 5ft person would use a 55cm and 6ft person 75cm, more or less.

I sit on one in my office in place of the chair for a while. It does force you to sit up and helps remind you of posture to hold your balance. If you get one that is locked in place then it is nothing more than sitting on an air cushion. They're also very good for lots of stretching exercises for your whole back.

• Thanks guys. I am going to talk to my PT about it. He has a few in his office that he uses mainly for leg work. If he thinks this is a good idea I will try his to see which is the right height.
  • I got one of these balls before my op and have carried on using throughout my recovery.
    Some days it just sits in the corner, other days just used for sitting watching TV and other days will get really motivated and actually do some exercises on it,
    But overall very very worthwhile

• I bought an $11. ball comes with a pump at the shopping channel and it comes with a DVD. It's great to sit on at the computer and do exercises and I even used to sleep with it at the bottom of the bed so I could stretch my leg out and decompress with my legs on the ball while laying down and if I woke up with a cramp put my leg on the ball. Better now so I hardly use the ball but for $11. it was a good investment!

I'm glad you're checking with your PT first and get some home exercises before purchasing a ball. I also had the ball beside the couch or bed to hang on to just in case I fell off at first was a little off balance but helps with that. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN