Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no Balance since injuring my neck?

godslittleangelggodslittleangel Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello evryone, I injured my neck for a second time 2 years ago from accident. since then I have had poor balance and dizziness and nauceaous. had mri of brain and showed ok. neck has disk issues and I was sent to neurosurgeon today. he wants another mri of the brain done to see why I have no balance. I believe its coming from my neck problems. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I cannot even close my eyes or I will fall over if standing up.

• I can relate to you. I have the same thing. Mine was cause by myelopathy in the cervical spine. I am not suggesting this is the case with you but it is with me. It is freaky to stand up, close your eyes, and fall down. I hate it!!
  • I can totally relate to both of your problems. Also diagnosed with Myelopathy in the cervical spine. Had a two level fusion (failed) 3-08. It sure is an awful feeling isn't it. I have lumber issues also which cause extremely weak legs and have been prescribed with a wheelchair. It was a tough one to swallow but walking more than a couple feet is just impossible, besides the falling. As far as I know (which is not much) there is nothing that can be done for this. I could be wrong but have seen 3 neurologists and two surgeons. No suggestions to date. My prayers go out to both of you. Please be careful as the falls can damage other parts of your body. Now have a medial tear rt. knee. We have to be so careful. I hope you are at least using canes for balance.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am a neckie and I had all symptoms that you describe. In my case my surgeon says it is all from my neck. I had severe stenosis and once that was corrected my vision problems went away. Yes they did do MRI of the brain also on me to rule out other issues.
  • I was misdiagnosed with my neck issues being fibromyalgia for 3 years. Then I started losing my balance, my legs were weak, and I started having falls. I broke two bones in my left lower leg and right foot due to the falls. Finally they realized that it was all related to cervical stenosis, had fusion of C5/6 and most of those symptoms are gone for me now.

Best wishes,

• I have never been very steady but lately I notice that I sway alot and have been more clumsy than ever. On Saturday I mis-stepped and went straight down. Hit on my palm which sent the shock up my arm and caused several hair line fractures around my elbow. Of course this is on my bad side !! I also hit around my tailbone. So far that is just sore but I am scared that something more will come from that.

If you find a fix let me know. I've been this way my whole life but it has gotten really bad since surgery.
  • Hi,
    I used to fall alot before my surgery.I had stenosis in three levels in my neck.I walked with a cane to steady myself.After my operation i had therapy to strengthen my muscles as i had weak muscles all over my body,during therapy i also worked for months on my balance issue.I always had something around me to grab onto so that i wouldn't fall.My balance had gotten significantly better in about four months of working on the exercises. I still have some issues at night with my balance and sometimes if i'm too overtired it will emerge but it is a lot better then before.
  • Just curious as to the balance thing I got a herniated disc at the c-5 c-6 area and dropping stuff with my left hand a lot here of late and my balance has gone off the chart for the last year or so. I wonder if I got more going on then just the disc.