Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think I have an infection....

JagJJag Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I got an abscess at the end of my tailbone. I've called my family doc who refused to even look at it. They said since it was near my spine I have to go to the ER. I'm not looking forward to it, and I put it off yesterday, but I'm going today. I'm wondering what they're going to be able to do since I can't have an MRI due to the SCS. I was told that it may have to come out? I called the ortho's office, but was told that he's in surgery even today. They said to make sure the hospital faxes him things because he'd be the one to take it out since he put it in. I'm not really worried... I think it's just in the skin, but the increase in back pain makes me wonder. Has anyone had an infection from surgery or just in their spine??

• I had the stimulator installed last year and promptly came down with the mrsa Staph infection.
    I was terribly sick and both incisions swelled up and started draining pus.
    I was in intensive care for a week and almost died at one point. The stimulator, as the cause of the infection, was removed.
    I would advise you not to wait in regards to this infection , it can get out of control in a heartbeat.

They offered to reinstall the stim but there aint a chance in hell of that happening to me again.

• I agree with Jim, please don't wait too long before having this looked at. It could be something easy to resolve or it could be very dangerous as Jim has experienced. I have a friend who developed an infection during two different SCS implant attempts. He had to give up on having an SCS once the second one was removed. He is bummed because it really helped his pain, however he is much happier not having the disaster of the infection.

Keep us posted on what you find out.