Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SpineHealth posting to FaceBook

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
Hi everyone. I just found the post below on Facebook and it unsettled me a bit. Apparently spine-health is posting a forum thread on facebook each week, according to them. I know that the forum is open for reading to anyone who searches on the web but I'm not sure if I like the idea that anyone who "likes" spine-health on facebook is going to see what is written here on their wall.

Maybe I'm just feeling paranoid since I responded to this thread???? I know it will make me rethink what info I may share.

Spine-health New feature of Spine-health's Facebook: Once each week we will post a recent discussion on our forums to encourage support and help from the Facebook community.

This week, a discussion about balance and neck problems:
no Balance since injuring my neck?
Hello evryone, I injured my neck for a second time 2 years ago from accident. since then I have had poor balance and dizziness and nauceaous...
18 minutes ago · Comment ·LikeUnlike · Share
Write a comment...

• Wow. That might have been something they could have run by us first.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Was brought up over 6 months ago. There was a post announcing this and if anyone wanted to sign up for it while on facebook and to include the facebook logo on their account signature lines.

If you are on facebook and searched on Spine-Health you will find items that point to forum posts and/or Spine-Health articles.

In the first line of the Spine-Health rules, it indicates that the company reserves the right to edit any post/message/email and to use them for the site or company related web sites.

This is a private web site owned by Spine-Health.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • So, i have Facebook and i'm a member.. How will this affect me?

are these conversations going to be posted to my wall when they are put on the spine-health facebook page? just curious.. no biggie I can just change the settings.

thank you! :)

no, your posts are not get put up to facebook.
    Each week, a forum thread and/or Spine-Health article is posted out on the Spine-Health facebook wall.
  • The issue is that they are taking your forum postings and putting them up on the Facebook page, so anyone who is subscribed to the facebook page can see them.

I guess SH doesn't have privacy practices. Good thing I didn't use my real name :(
    I understand what you are saying. But in reality it is no different than what is being done today on the Spine-Health web site.

The site is opened for everyone. That was one of the major reasons the Spine-Health rules were put into place.

I fully understand why some people do not use their real name and/or where they live. That is up to the individual.

In fact some people like staying on Facebook to get this information. There was a number of Spine-Health members who decided the Spine-Health Chat room was not the right place for them, so they turned to Facebook for online chatting.

• You are correct, but they would have to come to the Spine Health forums to see them, where they were posted, rather than just clicking a "like" button.
  • I'm good now.. Thanks Ron..

• two questions Ron. How do you control giving medical advice and privacy on FB in regards to these threads? Won't some banned members get access through the grapevine of friends of friends, etc.? Is there someone deleting such posts that may cause some trouble for others?

Yes, a lot of us from chat are on facebook more than in the SH chat room as of late. Personally, I don't chat on FB cause you can only chat with one person at a time. And since most of the members I befriended are on FB, it is a way to stay in touch. Hopefully, with time and frequent moderating, the chat room will come back to life.

Best wishes,

Marianne, I really dont have an answer for you right now. I will contact the Spine-Health owners to see how they manage that.

From what little I've see, the Facebook part is snipets of Spine-Health articles and selected forum posts. I've seen a few LIKEs on Facebook... but then again I am not really a FB user.

I have one, initially to keep in contact with the number of boys and girls (now men and women) that I've coached in various spots over the years.

Now, thats grown...

But I am a facebook novice, take that back a real facebook major novice... I can log into it , change a profile picture and thats about it

Marianne, Take care, hope everything is doing the best it can for you
  • Face book and spine-health or twitter for that matter. They all kind of work hand in hand. If you are not friends with Spine-health on your FB page then no one will ever know the difference as to whom you are here? As nothing from Spine-health is ever going to show up on your FB page. So if your worried about some how being linked to spine-health with your friends on FB you already gave that up when you linked as friends. So anyone on your friends list already knows your connected to spine-health. So I don't see how them putting a spine-health link on FB would be of any difference? If it is security your worried about on the web and what you say then I wouldn't link any pages together at all so no one you know can see what you do. Also if your worried about someone from here seeing who you are you can control your FB setting as to whom see;s what on your page in the security options. You can take it so far that you can't be searched on FB.

Mari, as to your question as to the security on FB, basically there is no security out there. Spine-health can delete people who maybe disruptive on that site, to their link but not much more. The can also report someone for offenses to the FB rules. Also delete the spam that has been posted in some of the comments, just the same as you can delete something on your page. AS far as what is said in the comments of the actually posting it is running no different than your page. I have had some very questionable comments deleted, but they are more disgusting in nature. Unfortunately any thing on FB i have placed a like next to and went and read what is in all the comments you can find the same issues. I once said I am glad to see FB gets spammed no different than we do.

If anyone feels there is a problem with FB and spine-health you can unlink yourself from the page in the far lower left corner of the page. On spine-health it is a rarity we see someone using their real name, so I am not sure how anyone would would figure a member out here among the 11,000 members, unless it is your name. But then again anyone on your friends list can see what you like click the link and be on spine-health reading anything. So I am thinking whatever anyone was worried about was there long before you realized it when you linked in. Also if anyone is concerned maybe a better choice is to use the RSS news link at the top of the page to be on your email box.
  • Since I play a game and have thousands of friends there I pressed the unlike button and it's not because I dislike SH on Facebook it's just for a privacy issue for me. Thanks for pointing this out Kris. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I read through the privacy policy, and it did not state anywhere that they considered forum posts their property to re-post they wished. I think that line alone would make many people re-think whether to post here.

Editing posts and using posts on the site they are posted on is different than using them on a different site (Facebook), especially a site which people use to link to real-life friends and family. People might be relatively sure their family won't see them over here, but Facebook? Everyone is on Facebook.

Charry, Not liking the page on Facebook will not prevent them from using your posts as they see fit. It will keep you from finding out about it because you won't see the S-H posts anymore.

At the bottom of the privacy policy is an e-mail address and street address to complain if you wish to.

• What I don't understand is why someone who would post galore on Spine Health without a care in the world, would worry about the same post showing up on FB. Unless something not necessarily true is being posted, you're still safe. If I know someone isn't willing to post the exact same thing on the 'net that they paste on Spine Health, they lose credibility.

I keep the two separate for an entirely different reason.
    I want my "normal" life to go on as if I were never hurt. So I particapate on FB just as myself with no mention of chronic pain, injury or medications. I can just let that part of me run wild

• Your going to need to re-read how they use anything that is on the site. The specifically reserve the right to use the information that is on the site, hence they do. Further if you look in the forum rules it spells it out clearly about posting, editing and deleting post. When you joined the site you were in agreement that you were making post on a public site. Everyone who has come to this site has located the site from reading the material before they became a member. You could have just stayed someone reading the information and never joined in or made comments and there would be no information basically collected. The site didn't search anyone out and ask them to become a member and post here and or make any guarantees to them.

I am really confused who thinks they post on the world wide web and thinks they have security? Certainly anyone who believed that would have used their real name? Spine-health in no way shape or form is using any of your personal information. When you put the post here you put it up for anyone on the net to use your post in any manner they see fit. That means any users of the site or visitors to the site. You there by voided what you consider privacy to begin with. If it is on the main forums anyone and everyone has access to it, it wasn't like it was a private communication between you and someone on the site and you thought you had some security. As I said how many people joined the site because you were reading post before you ever became a member. I am just confused then why it would bother anyone what is posted if you already know anyone can view it, any place any time any day? Further they can copy, paste it, edit it or do whatever and post it any place on the net they want to. My suggestion is anyone who is concerned someone may see what you write don't write it on the world wide internet, for all to see. I certainly don't put things on the internet I don't want out in public, same reason I don't leave my vehicle on unlocked with a money on the front seat, if it is my drive way.
  • I'm sorry, but what exactly is the problem? You are anonymous on Spine-Health, what's the beef?

Dave (HTTR)
  • I just wanted to clarify my original comments. I am in no way saying that spine-health is doing anything "wrong".

I fully understand that what I write here is accessible by millions of people around the world. I think what struck me was that this info is now being presented to people who may not have looked for it.

When I saw this I wanted to make others aware. I also realized that I need to be more careful about the info I post. I am not hiding anything but I also do not feel that the whole wide world needs to know what medication I take or what treatment I am receiving.

"C" the difference between spine-health and facebook is anonimity. I can freely discuss things with my fellow spine-health members because they only know me here. On facebook I connect with relatives, friends, coworkers and maybe even a future employer. I do not necessarily want all of these people to know my business for various reasons. The fact that I make this distinction does not make me a liar or mean I am hiding something.

I thought it was wonderful that spine-health published links to articles and opened new discussions on facebook. What I did not like was seeing a post from a member on facebook. This is just my feeling. I'll end here and hope that all can understand.
  • Does your user name on FB match the user name on sh? I for one use my real name on FB, and those attached to my name know me better than anyone else. But then again I am not one of the FB stalkers as I call it, who go digging through my friends pages to see what I can come up with on them, nor would I do it to my family. If I suspected anyone on my FB page trying to get something on me, then it is easy they wouldn't be friends of mine any longer. But the answer is simple just un like it and it won't appear on your page.

I just don't understand you have all the rights to control anything you want on FB, and that would be the simplest fix for anyone whom has a issue, with it. Fix your settings and it won't appear connected to you.
  • Tamtam I have already done so. As I said I liked the links to articles. Most people who know me know I have back issues. However in this day and age you never know who your next employer might be or your next insurance agent or who might say something inadvertantly that might cause problems.

I am very careful not to say much to anyone in "real life" about my problems. No reason to give ammunition to someone who wants to hurt me now or at some time down the road.
  • I am not on Face Book, Twitter or any of those, so I guess I'm an odd ball. After reading all the posts in this thread, I guess I still don't get it (the issue). For example Kris, do a 'Google' on your screen name, bingo your SH posts will come up - did with mine. Kind of makes any links to Face Book or Twitter or whatever mute, no? Dunno, as I said, I guess I'm the odd ball here... :)

Nothing is secure on the net, so what I post...I know anyone can read it, copy it, paste it somewhere etc. I guess with that understanding, I really don't care if SH has a Face Book page and cross post. It's no different than a non-member reading posts on here?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, that's how I found this site- google. It's a public site, unlike Facebook, where your posts can be set to private.

But everyone has their own level of privacy concern. As other sites have found, when you have sensitive information about your customers, they tend to want to hear that you care about their privacy (yes, even if the site is public). It is the first thing you learn in web sites 101.

I was told by PM that it sounded like I was bashing spine-health. I have re-read my posts and don't see myself doing that. I just pointed out that the privacy policy isn't up-to-date and that I can see the issue Kris has with the FB thing.
  • This is a senseless argument and serves no purpose on the forums. You can't have a right of privacy posting on a open forum, so all points are mute. So this thread has run it course.