Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello! I'm new :)

curiouslystrongccuriouslystrong Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello! My name is Erika and I'm 23 years old. For about five years now, I've been suffering from chronic pain in my middle to upper back, which, google tells me - if I trust it - is much less common than lower back pain. I have no idea what the cause is, and in the past I've pretty much just tried to blow it off, but it's gotten to the point where I don't think I can do that anymore. As far as the pain goes, it's generally least bothersome in the mornings, immediately after waking up, and when I'm active. When I touch the area, it feels like I'm touching a bruise, but I constantly feel as though I want to put pressure on it, almost in the sense that I would want to scratch an itch. When I'm not touching the area, I generally feel a dull to moderate ache.

I also have scoliosis, though it's only been mentioned to me by doctors twice: once during an athletic physical when I was about 14 (I was X-rayed afterward and apparently it came back as "very mild") and once during a work physical about 3 years ago (it was only mentioned in passing). One of my shoulders is lower than the other, though, and the range of movement of that arm is somewhat limited, particularly when it comes to reaching behind me.

It's probably about time to see a doctor, ha (I'll be calling mine up tomorrow, actually), but in the meantime I thought I'd hang around here and get a feel for things. :)

• Erika,

First off a hearty Welcome to Spine Health!! On here you will find members with all manner of nerve issues, so most times you will be able to find folks with similar symptoms, and as such some answers and support. :) Also you can do a 'search' in the box at the top of the web page - you can also read documents written by many of the doctors that own this site. We (the members) are not doctors, but fellow spineys.

I see you have already decided to follow up with your doctor to start to see what is going on. Thoracic which is your upper back (12 vertebra) is a rare area, and at times hardest to treat due to the rigidity of the spine there with the ribs. At 23, hopefully it isn't serious and they can find a way to reduce your pain. Again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you advice and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! you will meet lots of new friends and get lots of information on your condition.. i think it is time to see a doctor, especially if you are having alot of pain.... good luck with your appointment.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)