Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So, what does work?

ComplicatedCComplicated Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Having so many issues, I never know where to post.
Lumbar & Cervical, Formanial & Canal Stenosis
Bi-later hip & shoulder bursitis
16 'out of whack' spinal discs (some worse than others)
Increased & decrease T2 signals
Calcification wide spread: spurring throughout spine, tmjs, knees, hips, shoulders, even the pineal gland
Nerve impingement allover: thoracic outlet, elbows, wrists, throughout spine...yadayada
Oh!! I almost forgot!! And, I'm seriously bummed.
So, having tried drugs, surgery, pt, mt, shots, voodoo, haha..everything.

Folks; give me some good stories to read; who has done what and actually gotten some good results?????????

Keepin' on keepin' on...

• JK...lol. I feel for you. No matter where you post we are here to support you. What is bothering you the most right now? What is under control and what do you still need to resolve?

• Thats a lot to have going on in one body!! Im trying not to assume anything (even though you said that you've tried everything), but have you tried acupuncture? I hate needles, and this doesn't nother me at all. I actually went into my 1st visit w/ the acupuncturist, only wanting to try acupressure. But, after speaking with me, and looking over all the health history paperwork - she sugessted that I try acupuncture. She had me lie face down (to pinpoint me back..no pun intended :), and so I wouldn't see the needles), and asked me to speak up if I felt anything. I told her that she could start a at any time.. turns out she had already put 1 needles in! I thought that she was just poing me w/ the "tube" thingy that she usues to put them in... I also have tried massage, vitamins, long baths....
  • I have tried: injections, drugs, surgery, accupuncture, traction, decompression, hmmmm what else...

I presently do: gabapentin (neurontin generic) baby dose 300mg 3xday, deep tissue massage, physical therapy, yoga, heat/ice, inversion, psychotherapy, breathing/stretching/low impact exercises, chiropractic, ibuprofen, tylenol, fish oil, Ayr spray & gel...

I would do accupuncture again without a doubt it was at least relaxing and would like to try a few other alternative things, like cranial-sacral energy treatment intrigues me, for example. But, as many, many folks on here echo - MONEY, OR THE LACK THEREOF, IS AN EVIL ENEMY!!

I'm not working anymore at all, spend almost every minute at home, alone, managing my pain (not in a corner licking my wounds, actively managing or attempting to), except for appointments. My application for SS disability gets submitted on 10/1/10 - yeah, we'll see about the turn around time/result on that one.

What am I missing; there has to be more?

Oh! What's under control; what' bothering me most; what's not? I'm totally out of control and would be an ER/narcotic shot candidate had I not already lived on that boat and intend not to go back EVER. Worst - in a nutshell - top & bottom of spine areas, arms & legs needling/burning, complete and total exhaustion (no sleep).

Still among the living :)
  • I'm having a real struggle with the fibro thing. It seems the diagnosis it too easy and widely utilized. Forgive me for being so synical; I'm really wanting to have an open mind. Using my situation as and example: see above....and almost every doc I go to wants to say fibro is causing me the most pain...huh? I mean, really? All of those issues, nerves pinched, discs, deterioration, etc. and so on, but fibro is my primary problem and I need an antidepressant? Ok, so maybe I'm way off base, but, what the !$(#?&#((#??
  • You know what works? A heating pad and your comfortable, safe bed. A cup of tea on the nightstand and a good book.

Don't forget to rest from the hard work of fighting your pain!
  • I hear what you're saying about the fibromyalgia diagnosis. Did a rheumatologist diagnose that, did they test for trigger points? I have heard of Lyrica being used for fibro, but not gabapentin (could be wrong on this). Also have heard of using muscle relaxer, Flexeril, at night time to help with fibro pain.

One of my experiences: I was told by my rheumatologist that he felt I had fibromyalgia, not rheumatoid arthritis, that my neck pain was due to that. Three years later, things got really bad with falls and loss of use of my arm and hand. Finally had MRI and my neck was a mess. Had fusion and all those symptoms are gone. Was taken off rheumatoid medications, 18 months later had damage to joints on left hand and wrist. I was put back on RA meds with definite diagnosis of this.

Moral to my story: If you feel you are not being diagnosed properly, be persistent about finding an answer. Otherwise, if it is fibro, learn to live with this condition and read all you can about it.

Best wishes,

• Sorry to hear you have so much going on. Whatever hurts the most concentrate on that one area to bring to your Neurologist/Ortho or Neurosurgeon. For me I have lumbar issues so right now that's my focus, although I have c-spine issues and arthritis also and will go and see a Physiatrist(sports injury Dr.) who does injections also and pain meds and handles all aspects of your care. Best wishes I know it's not easy when you also have Fibro. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Now there's a "sum it up" diagnosis; I like it! Do they have a drug for that one?

Yep...the rest thing is excellent advice; I forgot to throw in another undiagnosed diagnosis: the "can't sit still disease", but I'm working on that one.

The gabapentin it to calm my freaking out nerves that are pinched everywhere. Flexeral was in my cocktail about ten years ago when I went through being a legal addict..haha-I know, sarcasism accomplishes nothing; but, it's funny at times.

Has anyone heard of/tried the whole laser surgery thing? I took advanatage of their (there are two publically advertised, but I don't think we're allowed to share names) seminar, brochure, free mri review, etc.. They say I'm a candidate for both lumbar and cervical and they would anticipate a 50% reduction in my pain, give or take. Hmmmm, is that worth it. Consider this: insurance "cuts" them so much, they require a $9k (both providers the same) deposit before they agree to take you on as a patient, then of course whatever co-pay/co-insurance/deductible your specific insurance requires. I don't have the energy or strength to spin around the pole that many times!

Sad attempt at humor, I know, but..hey.

• Well I hear you on that complicated thing, with lots going on. The question is which is worse and makes the most pain. For myself I had to sit down write it all out and see what is the most concern for myself and causing the most daily issues. Then of course along with my doctors to begin treating it all. The one thing I know is there is no quick fix and I have to stay the course we have decided upon. So while we are working the course I just have say someone is doing something and be patient and know it will get better.

I guess the question I would ask is what type of treatment plan has your doctor come up with? The part I accept is I will never be pain free at this point and time, but to get to a point that pain is not on my mind all the time and something in the back ground of my life. I would assume with all of those issues there is multiple doctors involved? So are all of the doctors working together to find a solution? Now in my book I think that is imperative to have the doctors working together. But even in my own situation I am seeing less and less of that going on and I am still in the process of switching one more out so it is all within one group and information is being shared back and forth.
  • That has been my major struggle, above everything else: getting the 11, yep, 11 doctors I have on my "team" on the same damn page (sorry).

Second to that is getting anyone, anyone at all to truely "get it". It sounds like you do and that makes my day!!

Thank you. Your words are exactly what I needed to hear, very realistic, and where I need to go. I knew that before I read your script, but needed to hear it from someone else.

Yep. Pain free - not an option. Manage my condition and find some inner peace to do so. Engage in a workable plan, be patient and keep on.

Thanks a million!

p.s. a new struggle, my narccistic husband is 'deciding' whether or not he still wants to be part of this; did someone say stress adds to the pain? Sigh.
  • I'm a bit in shock right now. I spoke with an attorney regarding a consultation to apply for ss disability. My answers to her questions were very detailed, yet concise, thorough, and included a great deal more than I've posted here. She said "in my opinion, there are no social security laws in your favor; if you still wish to try this, I suggest you call around to other attorneys, because we would not be in a position to represent you." Nice.
  • That's definitely what I would consider "pulling the rug out from under you".

Sorry. I hope that your day gets better some how.

• I like the way you word things :)

I'm off to have a glass of wine now...sigh.
  • Did she at least tell you "why" you wouldn't be a case they would take? In fairness to you, like all doctors see things differently, maybe another attorney will be able to see your case as valid. I wouldn't give up. So sorry to hear you went through all that only to be told "no thanks." Grrr...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Have one for me too please!

P.S. Just thought I would let you in on a secret. Calvin is from "Calvin and Hobbs" the comic strip. It just so happens that my name is "C". =))
  • Complicated, I am not laughing at you, rather trying not so successfully to highlight the fact that I think Calvin of Calvin and Hobbs is funnier than all get out.

• I'm shopping for an attorney with half a brain; there has to be one out there somewhere...over the rainbow...blah, blah, blah.
  • Wow Complicated, we sound a lot alike, except I don't have as many screwed up discs as you, so am less of a train wreck ;). I also don't have to deal with SSDI due to my job and location, but I do deal with the pain.

I found that Lyrica helped me immensely, however I also gained about 20 lbs within a few very short weeks, so came off of it, but don't let that discourage you, meds affect people differently, so it might be worth your while to try it. I am back on gabapentin, and although it does help a little, it doesn't help as much as the Lyrica did. That's my experience anyways.

Other than that, I take minimal dosages of oxycontin and oxycodone for BT pain throughout the day, which at least helps me to get around most of the time. I myself have given up on physio, but do the yoga stretches I can do, and love love love my heating pad, baths and aromatherapy to help relax! I've also just taken up cross-stitching to help get me through, but alas, have had to rip out many a stitch, but at least it keeps my mind occupied!

Hope you find the correct mix that helps get you through the day!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I appreciate positive reads.
This discussion has been closed.