Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 hrs and counting......

jade10025jjade10025 Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Sleep Problems
I have been awake for 24 hrs now. I have slept 3 hrs in the last 48, and only 3 or 4 hrs the previous nights for over a week. Starting to loose it. Im a bit afraid of sleeping pills, but I am seriously thinking of taking my dr up on a prescription. The nerve pain shooting down my leg for no apparent reason with no relief unless i keep my self hooked up to the tens unit isnt helping either. Star Trek marathon. Ive watched almost a whole season in the last 2 days.

Bored and frustrated and very tired and cranky. I must sleep.

• I suggest you call your Dr. Not sleeping and in that much pain, its time to say "uncle" and go for more help.

I know that I do not sleep every night, but I have things to do, that allow me to have a wakeful rest anyway. When I cannot get that, and pain, issues are the problem, I have no issue in calling for help from my Dr.
  • I'm with Centurion on this. Lack of sleep can start messing with your mood and emotions, which then translate to worse feelings in the pain department, which of course then further messes with sleep. Give your doctor a call, who knows right, it might help? Please let us know how it goes. Support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • If not, then take some tylenol PM. If you are then take Benedryl. That should knock you out. I took that to sleep when I had plastic surgery last year (HAHA...abdominoplasty...for looks and I thought it would help me back...NOT!).

But either way..call you doc for meds!

• Please make certain you check with your pharmacist or doc before taking any OTC medications. Chronic pain patients can be on some pretty exotic medications and it is always better to find out what mixes well and what doesn't before you take any OTC medication.

• Ooh, I agree with the rest of them. Call your doctor. No sleep is NOT good for the brain!
  • My PCP just gave me a script for Ambien.... OMG why have I waited so long for this stuff?

Call your doctor. Any one with chronic pain should talk with their doctors. I had been not sleeping all summer. I would get 3-4 hours 1 night and then toss & turn 4-5 nights and then get 3-4 hours etc.

I told my doctor and she gave me the Ambien. The first night I slept like a log and woke up and felt good. The next night it didn't work. I had to chaneg the times of my other meds so that I am taking them earlier and not drinking the caffene that I was using (to stay awake) etc.

Anyway, after having about 2 weeks of rest I feel almost like my self. The pain is still bad but the depression isn't so bad now.

Good luck :)

• Yes, ambien is effective stuff! And it doesn't usually make me drowsy in the morning either (benadryl knocks me out the next day, for some reason!)
  • I am not drowsey either. Just well rested finally :)

I fall asleep about 15-20 minutes after I take the pill and sleep a good 8-10 hours. I now get in bed at 9 PM and get out of bed 7 AM. If I have to get up early with my alarm at 5 AM for work I can get up no problem.

• I agree w/ calling the Doc, as it seems that he already knows about your sleep issues (since he offered you med assitance anyways). I know that I also fall into the category of not sleeping well some nights, but I am then able to find time to "crash" and sleep for a few hours, here and there to rest and somewhat make up for the down time that my body needs. I wouldn't say that you should only get 8 hours of sleep, or deem the meds useless - something has to be better than nothing!
  • i only manage 3 hours if i am lucky and even then its poor sleep and i always wake up from a comfy bed in agony .its very draining i take sleeping tablets but the pain wake me and then i am up /groggy and in pain !! fab ..all i can say to you is ask for some sleeping meds for your doctor then if you can't sleep maybe do what i do ..that's come down stairs and get comfy on my recliner and try to sleep again ..i wont lie to you its so hard not sleeping and pain on top of it its just the pits !!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    There are many, many sleep prescriptions that he can prescribe. Why suffer? The choice is yours. The more sleep deprived you are. The more the pain escalates.
    Good luck, Jim :?
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!