Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc protrusion/ herniation ?

kjkbnapierkkjkbnapier Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Mri report stats protrusion herniation of my C-5 c-6 disc after visting pain management the doc called it an chronic herniation. How do they determine what is going on by just the mri ? At this point he wants to continue with nerv blocks and epidurals of which has not been very fruitful for me so far with the lower back problems and the arthritis. Can anyone offer up advice of what they have had done for this problem ? And what exactly is an chronic herniated disc ?

• An MRI is an excellent diagnostic tool that shows not only bony abnormalities, but muscle, tissue, etc.

Do you have arthritis? I would ask your PM doc to clarify what he means by chronic herniation. Could be that it appears to be an area that has herniated before, which is very common.

Best wishes,

• Hi and thanks for the reply Marianne. I do infact have arthritis and have had for many years. Although i could not even tell you what kind of arthritis. Thus far I have only had meds and nerv blocks for the arthritis. The c-5 6 disc is a new one for me in the last few months with lots of pain over the last few years I have just now convinced the doc to do mri nd find out whats going on in the cervical area. He said I must have a high pain tolernce level.

The problem has been when I got the nerv blocks done in the lumbar area my neck would hurt like crazy. he thinks what was going on when he took the pain level down from lumbar the cervical level would start hurting. The pm is totally against any surgeries he told me the true success rate for surgeries are very low when you already have arthritis. The arthritis is only in four facet joints at this time and all them are in the lumbar area.