Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Would you recommend recliner

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
for after fusion surgery. I expect I won't be able to get upstairs to bed and get into bed for awhile. What did all of you do after?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey angela,
    The recliner worked for me both for a lumbar laminectomy & c-spine fusion.
  • My LazyBoy was my best friend after my first ACDF. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I thought I would be able to lay in my recliner after my L 3/4 L 4/5 fusion, but I was wrong. For the first few weeks all I could do was lay around in bed. Every person is different though, and it might be right for you.
  • i have had 3 over the last 12 years the best being the celebrity Hampton rise and recline twin motor in brown leather .pricey but worth every penny .
  • it's funny, but before my fusion, I spent a lot of time in my recliner. I don't think I've sat in it once since my surgery. I lie on the couch with my head propped up on pillows and my knees bent. Keeps my back flat and I'm much more comfortable that way.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • It really depends.
    I had a microdiscectomy and loved the recliner but was told to be very careful because they don't provide as much lumbar support. But I couldn't fathom a bed for a bit.

But after my 2nd surgery (revision microdiscectomy) I struggle with the recliner. I much prefer my temperpedic bed. Pillow under knees. I have a lap top holder so I can surf the internew laying down.

It really does depend person to person. I have a Berkaliner (?sp) recliner (like lazy boys).
  • For me I wasn't able to sit up after my 2 level lumbar fusion for any length of time. I actually rented a hospital bed for 2 months. My insurance paid for it. It was a lifesaver. I loved it had the remote for elevating my head and feet..and the side rails were awesome when I tried to turn over or sit up. My bedroom was up several flights of stairs so it was nice to have the bed in the living room..That way I wasn't cooped up in a bedroom all day.

After a few months my recliner became wonderful! I put the heating pad on and kick back..ahhh

• Angela,
    I had a cervical fusion and virtually lived in my recliner.
    However, one of my neurologists said recliners are not the best choice for us spineys. Said it causes the disks to bulge even more. Her suggestion was my bed which I found impossible.
    I recently got a new recliner, I have shoulder problems (retorn rotator cuff) also have lumbar issues L3,L4,L5 & S1 so using a lever to open the recliner was impossible. Also no strength in hands so I could not use the push button for opening. Mine is actually electric. You push a button hidden in the arm pads and it automatically opens and lowers the recliner. Best purchase my husband and I ever made. I do not sleep very well due to pain issues but can catch a few catnaps in my recliner.
    Good luck on your fusion surgery.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    For each of my lumbar surgeries, I spent more time in a bed propped up and pillows under my legs.

For each of my cervical surgeries, I initially used a
    foam wedge on a single bed that sort of felt like a hospital bed. After about 4 weeks, I used a recliner
    every night.

When my shoulders started to cause more problems (about 3 years ago), I slept most of the time on a couch, propped up against the side. For the past two years, I have slept in a bed probably only a dozen times. Laying flat on a bed just aggravated my shoulders. After the first shoulder surgery, all I could do is use a recliner. After the 5 month, I started to go back to the couch.

I am having my other shoulder replaced Mid-October, so I will once again go back to the recliner.
    Hopefully some time in the future, I can 'wean' myself away from the recliner and couch and go back to sleeping in a real bed.

Until then, the recliner is like a close friend
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • They brought a bed into a family room, and I got a 2" memory foam for the top. I would have loved a recliner, but the memory foam helped so much. I have one on my bed today...

• >:D<

Awesome! Sounds like buying a recliner might be a good idea overall but renting a bed for the living room for the first few weeks after surgery makes ALOT of sense. So I am going to look into it..maybe insurance will help.

• I hope you find something that works for you. The bed was a lifesaver for me...like I said..I didn't feel as cooped up since it was downstairs in the living room. We have a 1\2 bath right down the hall..that's the one we put the toilet seat riser on...I also used our basement shower for the 1st month because it was less steps to go down to get to it...lol
    My husband was my lifeline after surgery...he did everything for me. I am so fortunate.

Good luck with your surgery
  • netty74nnetty74 South carolinaPosts: 18
    Had a L/5 S1 microdiscestomy in 7/11 I have been laying in the recliner all the way reclined with a pillow under my rear and 2 pillows propped under my legs . I have been feeling good , comfortable in the recliner . Sometimes I bend my legs just for a position change . My left butt cheek is a little sore and I have noticed low back  muscle stiffness around my bandage and a little Brusing . Im a little concerned , I have no sciatica pain but I do still have some leg tingles . See my doc in 2 days . Overall I think I'm doing ok 
This discussion has been closed.