Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds?

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Prob my last question/post before surgery but...Since my PCP is the one who's been keeping me on narcotic medication and not the surgeon,do you guys think the surgeon will provide the same meds after surgery? The surgeon did tell me "he would take over perscribing" He is aware of the name of the drugs and the dosage/milligrams of them. I'm used to these and I hope he doesnt change them. I take oxycontin and oxycodone. Maybe after surgery he'll have to give something stronger...or will these be sufficient do ya all think?
Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Ask the surgeon .. he's the only one who can tell you for sure. In my case they gave me different types of meds to handle the surgical pain and I didn't need anything else after that.
  • Don't count on it. When I hsad my cervical laminectomies a couple years ago the surgeon screwed me. My PM doctor had me on a 50 mcg fentanyl patch cheanged every 48 hours and 3 percocets/day. Right after the surgery the NS kept me on the 50 mcg patch but changed it to every 3 days and dropped the percocets to 2 per day. He said I was on too much meds. I had a terrible first week so clarify it with the surgeon prior to surgery.
  • Ok Thanx, thats BS.....and I hope they dont try 2 give me Fent. I dont like it!
  • Hi, Don't worry so much. Surgeon should take care of any and all drugs post-op, as you probably will be under his/her care for the next year. Also, I wouldn't get hung up on what the other doctor was giving you, your surgeon may put you on a new set of drugs that may work better and address you new post-op pain. I was on morphine pills for 10 weeks post-op, then onto Flexeril muscle relaxers, then just plain old advil. It's been my experience, that if you're in pain, the surgeon will address it or in my case a PA that works for him. The office staff was very responsive. Take care and good luck. We're all waiting to support you post-op. It's the best thing I did for myself....I AM IN NO PAIN MOST ALL DAY and I'm post-op 4 months tomorrow. Best, mel v.
  • I just went through this recently with my surgeon. He did use the same medications I am already on and just up'd the dosage on them. I would think if you have had a issue with a particular medicine be sure to make them aware of the side effects and why you didn't want to use them. Hopefully as you move through recovery you won't need that level of meds any longer and will eventually be reducing them. My surgeon only prescribed for the higher level of pain following surgery and then left it up to my pm to dose the pain, as there are other issues they are medicating for. Just be sure each doctor is completely aware of whom is prescribing and make sure you completely understand what they want you to do. So better get clarification prior to surgery so you run into no issues post op.
  • I have heard enough horror stories here about people being undermedicated after surgery that it's one of the questions I'll be asking my surgeon.

Best to do so before surgery, as no telling what condition you'll be in after!
  • Good points everybody...Thanks, & as you said Mel.....I;ll be writing cuz,I'll need that post-op support,no doubt. Thank You everybody!!

Paul(Kyadog) :-)
  • Before my surgery I was on 10 mgs of Lortab 4 x a day. After surgery my surgeon took over and put me on Oxycodone, and Flexeril. This was enough to control my pain. I made sure that I didn't have 2 physicians prescribing my pain meds because they frown on that. Now, I'm back on Lortab, 10 mg because of other joint pain. If, when you get home from surgery, you're pain is not controlled, call your doctor and let him know.
advertisement