Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to Square one - :(

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Sigh - After being told that my TSH levels were high the T3 and T4 came back normal, so now I don't have to worry about hypothyrodism. Which coincidentally made a lot of sense for my symptoms.

It looks like I am ending up at the place I started. Upper and now possibly lower DDD. When my problems initially started it seemed to be triggered by an injury and a crazy chiropractor. 6months ago.

1.) Neurosurgeon looked at the xrays and said it was not causing my current issues.Yes I had alittle more the normal DDD but not the cause.
2.) 2 different pt, got slightly better but I think that had more to do with time then the PT. 2months.
3.) Developed lower back pain, rare spasms in left butt area, and once pain down me leg.

4.) Every doc that I have seen has said its all muscular.

5.) I get Buzzing, and formication (sensation of ants crawling) in hands and feet. MOst of this they attribute to "anxiety." SO now I have enough valium and anti depressants that I am thinking of quitting my job and supplying china.

6.) More frequent burning warm sensation in soles of feet and lower back mostly triggered by body position.

7.) Stiffness is the morning. Off and on. Difficulty getting comfortable in any given position.

8.) I got a Trigger Point Injection in my shoulder where I think the injury happened and it instantly released my neck. (I have limited motion turning to the left.
) This last person I saw is convinced that all my symptoms are 100% from DDD, upper and lower. SO he thinks the next step is epidural blocks. ????

SO my problem is that everyone I have seen is has been pretty sure what its and here I am six months later. I have tried pretty much everything. NOt sure I even remember what it is like not to be in pain. Frustrating part is not know what is causing all this and even more frustrating to be told oftent hat it is anxiety. "Just take it easy."

If any one has any insight, I would very much appreciate it.

• I'm at a year and a half and pretty much in the same boat....I would pay very well for an answer and a hell of a lot more for a cure or at least relief of the pains.

Formincation huh?? Is that what I call pins and needles in my hand and forearm?
  • Do you have lumbar issues as well as cervical? I don't see anything in your signature or history. I have lumbar DDD with sciatica so my PM Dr. thinks I have nerve irritation in my lumbar spine since my herniated disc l5-S1 was not seen on my MRI. I also have facet joint and S1 problems and it can cause sciatica tingling and pain and numbness in my foot. I also had to have flexion/extension x-rays to rule out stenosis & spondylosis http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/spondylosis-what-it-actually-means.

The facet joint pain usually gets me in the morning and have to log roll out of bed and support myself with the arm under me and get up slowly so as not to jar my back. Epidural injections have helped me with the pain as well as facet joint injections and SI and hip nerve blocks and trigger point injections. Hope your Pain Management Dr. can work with you and you get some relief.

Take care and don't give up looking for a Dr. to help you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Pins and needles is called "Paresthesia." The other is a term for something that feels actually like something crawling on you- I haven't gotten it, but it's a symptom of neuropathy.

But neuropathy in hands and feet isn't only a sign of DDD (if that's what your diagnosis is). I see a couple of options.

1) Has your primary care doctor exhausted all of the options for which that symptom could be a sign? How about a referral to a rheumatologist?

2) Has your pcp considered referring you to a board certified pain medicine doctor, preferrably a physiatrist, to help figure out where the pain is coming from and make a plan to deal with it?

3) Has a board certified neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon reviewed all of your tests and determined that your DDD isn't causing your pain? I'm a little confused on all of that.
  • Charry,

the lumbar pain developed about 3 months ago. i kept mentioning it off and they kept blowing it off. It has come an gone, off and on. From about a 4 to 8. Pain wise.

this is all pretty new and developing. It all started after a visit of a chiro following a pulled back muscle who the proceeded to put me through the ringer 4times in a week. I have brought the issue up about the chiro and what he did, but all the docs seem to blow if off.

None of the docs seem to think that I need an MRI or anything of that nature. Their thinking is that since I do not get Tingling/Numbness and weakness in hand and fingers they do not see fit to follow it up. I am usually given anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers and off I go.

• Have you had a good neurological assessment by any of the docs you have seen so far? If so how did you do? Since you seem to be as you said "back to square one", have you considered seeing a D.O. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? See this link for a good idea of what their initial exam entails http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain-management/osteopathic-medical-visit

I was fortunate that a couple of my PM docs are D.O.'s and I tell by far they gave me the best condition assessment of any doc I've seen. Since they care about the "whole person", they don't blow you off if you don't fit into a nice neat defined diagnosis. Since you have so much uncertainty, it might be worth checking into.

Hope you find some answers soon.

• Calvin,

thanks, I Will look into it.

That is exactly what I feel, I don't fit into this nice neat diagnosis.

• I am working in a International Call Center for 14 Hours.i am feeling heavy pain in my back please suggest me some exercises
  • Hi Driftwood,
    I hope you feel better!I was told to take antidepressants and then later told that i am not crazy i truely have a spinal disease.I can relate to the pins & needles it's awful.
    Feel better soon