Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My neurosurgeon appointment has come through!!

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain

Well, I was referred on 10th August, and at last I have received my appointment to see the neurosurgeon to have an MRI scan. <:P

The trouble is that the appointment is for 15th March 2011!!!
That is 31 weeks (over 7 months) to wait!!

I am in the UK and know that over here we have to wait for our appointments, but this seems exessive. I am just so fed up about this! [(

Meanwhile, I am having increasing pain and neurological problems in both my cervical and thoracic spine.

Has anyone else had to wait this length of time? Or have I made the record?

• I can't believe it takes so long to get an MRI appointment for increasing issues of pain and neurological changes. I would certainly go to the ER or let your Family Dr. know and see if they can somehow change the date of your MRI. Unreal. Feel so much for you and hope the time changes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sorry to hear that, Jellyhall - I know the UK is slow, but waiting over half a year just to see a neurosurgeon and get an MRI is incredible. When I was in the UK, I had mine done privately, as they told me I would have to wait several months at least just for a consultation.

By contrast, over here in Taiwan I just had three appointments: with a neurologist, an orthopedist, a pain management doctor, and also I had a set of X-rays, a nerve conduction test and an MRI done, all within ten days. I have an appointment in a couple of days with a neurosurgeon. All this cost me next to nothing, and was arranged quickly and professionally by the helpful staff of the local hospital. I really feel for all my relatives back home in the UK, and for fellow spineys there who have to wait so long when they are desperate for answers and treatment.
  • but that is in a huge city. We don't have to wait that long out here in the boonies. Usually about a month for us.
  • I am grouching about having to wait 2 weeks for a follow-up appointment! That really takes the cake.

It sounds like UK's medical system is in trouble :( Although it is nice to have free medical care! You know we all pay for it over here (actually my husband's company pays for insurance).
  • Americans, get use to these stories because it's coming this way. The future of healthcare in America is rationing,longer waits and the gov't telling doctors how to treat their patients.
  • Gee I have that already ... only it comes from the insurance company.
  • LOL, Ozone, not exactly- only if you currently do not have insurance. Then you will finally have some coverage, and something is better than nothing.

Even in England, private insurance is available and many people have it. So prompter health care can always be bought if you have the means.

I am one of the lucky ones, and I count my blessings daily. I feel much sympathy for those of you on the other side who are waiting or, worse yet, here in the US who get no care at all because we don't have any system in place :(
  • Americans, you will see what I mean in the fullness of time.

• OZONE said:
    Americans, you will see what I mean in the fullness of time.
    Your post OZONE reminds me of the guy on the corner shouting the end is near, the apocalypse is coming. Umm... I think they are called "Doom-sayers?"

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • None of us know what the future will be. I can tell you for certain that it will cost more and will not solve all of the problems.

Stay tuned.....
  • Aviatrix36440 said:
    OZONE said:
    Americans, you will see what I mean in the fullness of time.

Your post OZONE reminds me of the guy on the corner shouting the end is near, the apocalypse is coming. Umm... I think they are called "Doom-sayers?"

Or someone who understands Economics!
  • Please keep this thread on topic or it will be locked down. Political discussions need to be made on political sites.

Spine Health Moderator
  • Jellyhall,

That kind of wait it nuts. I know you tend to have longer periods to have mri's and scans performed. But isn't 31 weeks out of the ball park? Is there anyone you can contact? I really have no idea how your healthcare system works.

Best In the meantime!!

• I intend to speak to my GP, who referred me. I don't think he intended for me to wait for so long! :O

I wondered if this surgeon wanted to wait until I am 12 months past my lumbar fusion, which would be during the same week as the appointment. Perhaps he doesn't want to tread on my other surgeon's toes. Who knows??
  • Perhaps the best thing to do is ask your doctor to write a letter explaining your circumstances and to request a more urgent appointment.

Failing that, why don't you call them to say you'll accept a cancellation if one comes up?

I don't think it matters how long after a fusion you have an MRI. The reason I say that is because I've just received a copy letter from my review appointment last week where it says that if, when attending another appointment in SIX weeks time, there are still symptoms, a further MRI will be undertaken. That doesn't give me the impression that they will need to wait any significant time before an MRI can be done.

Anything from your GP will carry more 'clout'.

Good luck!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I have tried several times and several numbers to speak to the surgeon's secretary or appointments office, to ask about my appointment date. The secretary is off work (she was last week too) and there is just a message on the other number.

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday afternoon, so I'll talk to him then. I am seeing a different doctor again!! The partners in the practice always have at least a 2 week wait to see them, so I am seeing a different doctor. It feels like I am working my way through all the doctors in this town!!

I had wondered if I should write a letter to the partner who referred me, to let him know how long I will have to wait. They make me feel like I am being such a nuisance!! The receptionist this morning made me cry! I have had enough of all these problems :''(
  • :( Can they get you pain management until then? What a long, painful wait! I hope you can get in touch with the secretary, or something, and she doesn't make you cry!
  • I hope you can get a sooner appt once you reach someone that isn't a complete...beast to you(see...im being good here too!:p)
    Do you have someone that can call for you and give them the what for? I had to do that for my mom as her md office had someone like that as well....and she'd upset my mom terribly whenever she had to call in :(

Feel better soon!
  • I had an MRI 6 months before my fusion, and then again at 2 months postop because I was having so much pain, but have only had 2 xrays since that time. I've had issues with non-fusion and severe scar tissue, and I have cysts on my left SI joint. I would love to have an MRI on my next visit in Nov(my one year mark), but there is no plan to do so.

Sorry about your continued problems. I do hope that you are able to get some resolution before Feb.

Take care,

• I'm so sorry about your long wait to see the doctor.
    Thats totally riduculus.(spelling)

On the day i reported my injury, i had the doctor visit, the x-rays, and the mri, all on the same day.

We were told no politics, so i cant tell you where i live. LOL

Best of luck to ya.
  • You've got an accommodating doctor...

Mine is great, too..but he does xrays first.

• stating that the neurosurgeon has requested that I have an MRI scan done.

My appointment is on 22nd October! That is more like it.

My physiotherapist told me that he was concerned about me having to wait until March and was going to speak to people at the hospital. Well, it obviously worked.

I feel pleased, excited but also rather apprehensive. I have a sense of 'here we go again'. I think this time they will be scanning the cervical and thoracic spine to see what is going on there. Still, I suppose it is better to know than not to know. :S

• So glad you got it moved up! I think it's better to know, but I agree that in the knowing there is a bit of dread. But still, at least they will know how best to treat you.
  • I'm glad your PT stepped up to the plate for ya. I hope your MRI shows what's going on but of course we all hope it's something minor. TC Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm from Canada and we have lengthy waits like this too. This is not to say that people in serious pain don't get moved up 'cause they do.
This discussion has been closed.