Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So happy! There IS hope. My last esi hit the spot!

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Injections
I am posting this to encourage everyone that it may take time, as it did in my case, but there is hope! I just had a caudal esi and the results have been wonderful. Yes, I have had 5 esi's and a rfa in less than 2 years. Some did better than others. But I've stuck with the same pain guy and he keeps meticulous notes on each injection. The one I just had was the first in a year. A caudal esi. And buddy, we hit the sweet spot. I have a fused L4-L5 so it makes these injections very tricky. The needle has to manuever around scar tissue and metal but my doc finally figured out how to get the best "coverage." This one injection has given me about 70% relief! I had it on Tuesday and by Saturday I was able to drive to Atlanta (45 mins), watch a great show, Rain, at the fabulous Fox Theatre, have drinks afterwards with friends and drive home with minimal discomfort. Left home at 5:30 and got back in at 1 am. And I felt tired but OK. Yes, I kept on my meds but decreased them a bit. And today I made a pot of spagetti and didn't have to sit down once!

So they "can" work. I've waited for this and now I hold my breathe that it will be effective for awhile. I have a 2nd scheduled this Tues. I'll check back in.

So take heart, spineys.

• Great for you to get some good relief. Best wishes for your next injection on Tuesday. I'm still waiting to get some relief. Glad you have a good PM Dr. Best wishes and thanks for the encouragement!. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Kathy,

I'm so happy you were able to get such great relief from the caudal injection. I too am currently going through injections and hoping for the same outcome. Btw, I love the Fox Theatre. I live in Nashville, so I haven't been there in a few years. It's such a long drive for a spiney. But I have seen some great shows there!! Good luck and continue feeling better!!

• =D> I am so happy for you!

• That is wonderful! I am SO happy for you and it's great to read a positive story, it gives us some hope! :) Woo Hoo!!!
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I too have had many injections the last few years. I have two pain management Dr's. One is my SCS Dr. (no Meds)and the other has been my PM (Takes care of my meds doesn't do SCS)for several years. Both Dr's do ESI's. My SCS Dr. told me the same stuff, Scar tissue, Hardware, and bone from the fusion to make it difficult to get around. He said the only way to get in there is to do a Caudal ESI. My insurance would not pay for the Caudal ESI. Dr did it anyway and billed it differently. Anyway he hit the sweet spot too. It didn't last long enough. Maybe a few weeks tops. I could not afford for him to do it again with insurance not covering the injection.

Two months ago I saw a new neuro that told me the only real fix was to redo my fusion as I only have hardware on my right side(another nightmare). He wanted me to have another ESI at L5-S1 to see if the nerve could settle down some and verify the surgery will relieve my pain.
    My primary pain mgmt Dr. did as ordered by the neuro, a straight in L5-S1 ESI. He hit the sweet spot immediatly. By the next morning I was 100% pain free.
    That was 61 days ago...Yippee! Hoping this lasts months so I can avoid redoing my failed fusion as long as possible.

I agree 100% ESI's can relieve cronic back pain.

Thanks for sharing and I hope the relief gets better and lasts forever!

• I know exactly what it feels like when you get relief like this! You truly want to spread the word to everyone, in hopes that they can receive the same relief as you have.

May you continue to feel relief and I wish you the very best on your 2nd round tomorrow.

• Thanks for sharing! Shots have never helped me more than a few days, so it is good to see that they actually DO help some. *HUG* I hope the relief continues for you. Bravo!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.