Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

October 2010 Surgery

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Charry suggested I start the October topic. I'm scheduled for an ACDF C5-6 October 4. I'm anxious and apprehensive at the same time.

Hope all others with upcoming surgeries aren't dreading it very much. I want to wish all of you the best of luck.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    to ask if other members with surgeries scheduled in October will post the dates here?

• Ron goes in October 13th for his second shoulder replacement surgery.

I wish each and every one of you facing surgery a positive outcome and speedy recovery.

• I hope and wish the best for all of you.

• My ACDF C6 C7 is schedule for Oct 8, originally it was Oct 22, but I thankfully got it moved up. I'm really nervous about it. I had and ACDF C4 C5 C6 in Aug 09 and with this one coming up there are a couple of "not sure" factors. The surgeon is not sure it's going to fuse. There are questions of if they will have to redo part of my previous fusion. Then there are discs above/below the fusion that may go and will I be back in the or in another year. I'm praying for a good outcome.
  • Debbie, Ron and mcdermoju,

Wishing you well and keeping you in my heart-thoughts and prayers with your surgeries.

Remember...the body has an amazing ability to heal !

• I was due to have my spinal fusion yesterday but it was cancelled. Due to too many pateints in the accident department. So now I have a new date for the 12th october !! Fingers crossed that this date is not changed !!
  • I'm scheduled for posterior fusion in October.
  • I'm scheduled for a hardware removal of l4-l5-s1 my surgery is on October 1st. I hope this solve my problems
  • :SS
    Im booked in for 2 stimulator trials on the 13th of October..One the whole length of my spine and the other across the bottom of my lumbar region and Im very anxious about it..

If the trials dont work its a pain pump for me so I have everything possible crossed that the trials will be a success..

Lets hear from anyone else who has October Surgery ??
  • I'm having fusion of L4/5 on October 19th and I'm looking forward to it so I can get on with the rest of my life.
    Good luck to everyone 'under the knife' in the near future.
  • I think I should start with a little history. In 2007 I had a ruptured disc at L4-5 and a bulging disc with nerve inpengment at L5-S1. I went through the whole gammit of treatments. Started with chiropractic care, then PT, then steriod injections, and finally a micro discectomy and partial laminectomy at both levels. After a couple months I got a whole lot better. Then about 8 or 9 monts ago I started having problems again. Initially I told myself that it was just something I was going have to live with that the Dr had told me I'd never be 100%. Well about 2 months ago it started going down hill and the pain got a lot worse only it was mostly my back this time.
    Went to my family Dr. she ordered an MRI and refered to a neurosurgeon. He said my best option(actually in his opinion my only option) was fusion at L4-5 and L5-S1 due to the degeneration and what had been done before. I was refered to another surgeon that did this proceedure who told me the same thing.
    Now I am scheduled for pre-op on Sep 29th and surgery on Oct 6th. I am very nervous but, at the same time excited about maybe finally being on the way to recovery.
  • I am also very concerned about the fact of one surgery, now two, will it be three, or maybe more. Surgeon seems pretty confident that this will cure my problem. But, I've heard that when you have this surgery it will increase the pressure on the disc above it so I'm crossing my fingers and praying that I don't wind up here again.
  • This is for Shelly...just some food for thought...a good friend had a similar trial a while back...Think good hygiene..follow the doc's orders to a T to prevent infection..

I am looking at the same thing...have not yet got up the nerve....Best of luck
  • Butterbean I sure will follow the exact instructions..
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry that all of you (myself included) need surgery. I do hope that all of us get the relief we seek from these procedures. I know that like me you've probably all been through the long process of all the conservative treatments to no avail and are left with no other options other than to live with it which in my mind is no option at all. I know that it may not provide the success we hope for but what else can we do?
    I'm hoping that by being optomistic and following orders we all can finally find a reasonably painfree existance. I don't even dream of being completely painfree because I am realistic in that my spine 'isn't great' as my surgeon said and also that the natural aging process is at work there. Too bad I can't cover that up like I can the gray hair and those pesky little wrinkles that want to be noticed...lol.
    I think I'm prepared mentally for this. It's hard mentally as well as physically and that is something that others without chronic pain can't understand. Physically, other than my spine, I'm in great shape as far as I know. (Well my shape is not what it once was hehe)
    I hope that each of you have great success. I know the friends I have made here at SH are what have got me this far and I'm sure will get me the rest of the way through this. Thank you all for that.
    I hope everyone is having as good a day as possible. If we're alive we're already doing pretty good. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm just thinking...

• Debbie , that post you just did so echos what all of us feel xx
  • I agree. It's what we all think and share in common that only others suffering through what we are can truelly understand that's why I think this place is such a great find!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Surgery of any kind is not something that we want to have done. But when we realize that surgery is the only option and path to take, we have to be prepared.

That means, both physically and emotionally. To me, that means going in with the notion, that the surgery is going to help you out.

Debbie, as you stated, you understand that this surgery or any other may never give you a pain free existence. That is so very important. We can't go into a surgery thinking that its going to be the cure all and we will have zero pain the rest of our lives.

Spinal surgery will correct a situation, for some it will take care of many of their previous problems, for others, it will just get us by day to day

One major ingredient is positive thinking. You have shown that you are being positive and that you know things will work out. Thats almost half the battle.

Debbie, my friend, I hope that your upcoming surgery will go a long way in helping you and that your immediate family will be there by your side each and every day
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Debbie.Everything you said is so true for a chronic pain sufferer..You said what most of us cant.

I hope and pray that everyone going to have surgery at anytime that it does give them a bit more quality of life without pain..xx
  • I hope to have an October surgery. Hopehopehope.

edited: No October surgery for me. Apparently he scheduled vacation without consulting me. Imagine!
  • :H Looks like I may be joining you all...if not early november. Will find out this Tuesday. Who is the first October surgery?

• I had an e-mail earlier from my surgeons secretary stating that my surgeons theatre time has been cancelled on October 19th which happens to be my operation date.

Not anymore.Thanks a f****ing bunch.
  • Sorry to hear Scott. I have to say you UK people have shit problems happening to you lately. Again...US People listen...you do not want government controlled healthcare!

• I'm the 12th october but I did have my original date which was the 21st sept cancelled so I'm really hoping this new date is sucessful , got another pre op next friday , that's my 3rd pre op !!!
  • Good luck Janiebaby.

My pain seems to be worsening on a daily basis so I'm hoping for a new op' date soon.
  • Thanks Scott , mine is also getting worse , I know take sleeping pills at night as the painkillers was'nt doing the job at night !! Hope u get a new date soon xx
  • Thanks Scott , mine is also getting worse , I know take sleeping pills at night as the painkillers was'nt doing the job at night !! Hope u get a new date soon xx
  • I will Be having my L5 S1 fusion Done On Oct 14th
    And I am Excited to get moving with my life again
    nervous.... YES.....But I would say that is prob normal lol good luck Deb an d Everyone having surgery