Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nervous about appt.

JuvaPJJuvaP Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everybody,
I hope yall are experiencing minimal pain tonite.
I have my first initial appointment with a neurosurgeon in the morning. I haven't a clue as to what to expect. I'm really hoping that he will at least have some suggestions for me, if not a plan.
It's a four hour round trip & I haven't ridden in a car in over a week, because more than 20 minutes of sitting causes severe, prolonged pain.
This has been such a long road, just to get in to see somebody. I was sceduled several months ago to see another neuro & he ended up postponing 3 different times & sceduling subsequent appointments a month apart, wasted 3 months there. If I receive had cancelation phone call in the morning, I'll probably lose my ever lovin mind.
I have all of my meds & the cd of my MRI packed & ready. Is there anything else that I should do to prepare & get the most from this consult?
Thanks for being there, Juva

• First try to make a list of what hurts. It's usually good to do this over a few days but you don't have time. Writing it down is very important.

Also write down any questions you might have for the doctor. Be general like "how will any meds affect my life? Can I work or drive etc". And leave room to write down anything he tells you.

A neurologist will do his tests. Then he will either want you to come back to him for more tests or treatments like trigger pt inj or may refer you to a PM doc or a surgeon.

I would highly recommend spending a few minutes in the waiting room or parking lot after the appt to write down anything else you think of. By the time you get home it will all be a blur.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know what happens.
  • Kris,
    Thank You for responding. He is a surgeon, so I won't have to worry about being refered to another, I hope. I'm kind of hoping that he will refer me to a PM, I called my PCP last Monday requesting to be refered to one, they said they faxed the paperwork, but never heard anything back. I can't believe how hard it is to get in to see any doctor but the PCP. I don't remember getting this run around when I lived in Va.
    Oh well, don't live there anymore, so I guess I'll deal.
    Thank You for the suggestions. My daughter is going in with me, so that we'll have 2 sets of ears ;)
    Have a good nite. Will let yall know what I find out.
  • >:D<

That's what Happened at my first meeting w/ a NS.

now my stuff is cervical.. that's why I saw a NS.. cause my brain stem is involved..(maybe that's why I am usually in a good mood, even though this is all so scary)

They did their own exams of me and my mri(S)

Then his nurse put a blood pressure cuff on my upper rt arm, (carpal tunnel test) pumped it up and boom, my arm went numb.

Then the nurse walked out and back in with 3 prescriptions, one for this collar and one for neurontin and a steroid pill(dexamethasone), and the last was for Flex-test xrays of my neck.

I was told to wait for a call to schedule my nerve conduction tests..

That was it girlie. Tricare took a long time (1week) to get it all taken care of..
    Let me know how it goes ok?
    Good Luck You!!
    Be well,
  • I am hoping you are at your appointment, and or had it, and it went well? Something I was thinking about that helps me, might help you? I too can't handle being in a car seat for more than a half hour. What I've done is made a cushion (1 piece) out of memory foam that supports my butt and back. It big-time reduced the transmission of road "bumps" and as such gives me a lot more endurance in our SUV now.

I know that doesn't help for today, but future rides if you will. Please let us know how your appointment went.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.