Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Everyone is equal

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Recently, I have received some private messages that are basically saying that they are somewhat intimated to make posts because there seems to be a dozen or so people that post to every thread here. They are worried if they make a post, that instead of getting some valid information they will only get a 'canned' response.

That does bother me a great deal. One of the greatest attributes of this site is to have any member, new or old be able to express their feelings without worries.

Some times in the past, those worries have been in the terms of being ridiculed or being made fun of. I havent seen that recently, but instead what I see is 'Gang posting' That can be as destructive as nasty posts.

So to net this out, I am really saying to everyone, post when and where appropriate. That is so important.

Many times, I think that this point system is what gets a few members to go post crazy. Wanting to get more points than anyone else seems to be their primary objective.

I love to see new people register and come on board here.
I want them to feel free to post and that their words can also mean something.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron can you explain what you mean by gang posts? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Yes it is true that there is usually a core of people who try to respond to the threads. I am proud to think that I am one of those people, at this point in time. I only post on the threads that I can relate to. There are many threads that I read but don't post to because while they are interesting there is nothing I can add.

But if you consider these well meaning people who respond to threads to be a "gang" then I have to take exception. I cannot imagine why anyone would be afraid to post. To say that people are posting for points is absurd. If you could redeem them I might agree, but to look important?? please.

Yes we are all equal. But the idea of holding back some because others are afraid would hurt everyone. Do you punish the straight A student because some of the kids are struggling? Do you tell one child that they can't go skating because their sibling is afraid of falling? No. You help those who need it and let all participate at their level and interest. Yes we are all equal.
  • So this brings up another subject. What is the purpose of points? Yes, I also see a couple of members, don't know about a dozen, who post to almost every single thread. I also don't really see gang posts either. Please explain what your getting PM's about in reference to "Gang Postings". The only thread I've seen that could even remotely look like gang posting would be the one by Maverick77. I mentioned a while back that this forum was turning into a "Pat you on the Back" type forum. People didn't like that comment so I've just kept quite. In my opinion good help/threads have been few and far between of recent. In fairness I have not seen really good questions either.
  • I am fairly sure I can speak for both Brenda and I (the two most prolific posters, although she beats me out by a fair margin ;) saying we post from the heart and give personal responses, because we care. I have paid zero attention to the points thing- I was under the impression that it was meaningless?

So I am not sure who is posting canned responses or vying for points, but it isn't I.

But of course everybody is equal. I love to hear new voices! As I said, you'll never get a canned response.

eta: I guess Kris is up there too, I had no idea!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Points, personally, I do not see any value in them, never had. In fact, if anything they cause some of the problems I was talking about in 'gang posting'.
    I would love to see this removed and I am working on getting this done.

Gang posting. I will not share the messages I have received, since they were done in confidence. But I will only state that some members are 'afraid' to post because the responses they receive are always from just a few select members.

Kris, do you need to take exception? I am talking about posts that are being made just for the sake of posting, not really to help others. There is and has always been a major difference.

We are all here to try to help.

Dave (bkins) back to your statement. Questions, I am not sure what you mean by that. Everyone has the right to post about any subject they wish to, as long as it stays within forum rules.
    I have seen many recent posts where people are asking good questions, I've seen some that maybe are questionable... but overall I am not sure what you are referring to.
  • OK, well lets go back to that subject- some people are afraid to post because they only get responses from a few members.

If I go through the "recent" list and see a post with no responses, I'll go back and see if I can add anything. I don't like to see a post with no responses at all.

So I might be guilty. Did I *prevent* people from posting? No, they didn't post in the first place. Why are you not then asking people to step up and be more responsive to all poster, instead of just responding to the frequent posters?

Or there may be some other thing going on that I have no clue about, in which case you can just pretend I have been talking about the weather for the last 5 minutes :p
    There is one and only one topic here.

Some people Post for the sake of posting and they are not interested really in the subject matter.

I dont know how much clearer I can be.

We get concerns and questions from members, and we try to address them. And as I have always stated, what people ask us in confidence remains confidential.

I can not tell everyone how and when to post. That is something only the member can decide upon. As long as you ( meaning collective ) feel your posts are meaningful and productive, then fine.

I have and will always address problems.
  • Weather you ask? Just a great day today, with the nights getting better also. At least in my area of the country,

Ron, my comment was based on more subject matter then anything else. I guess I don't have the patience for questions that either make no sense, or were so poorly written that you basically can't read them. Your right that everyone has the right to post whatever they want, while staying within the forum rules and my comment was based on my own observance based on my level of experience and knowledge. Your idea of a good question and mine may very well be different so don't spend to much time thinking about it.

• I'm not sure how you can judge someone's motives other than your own, but as I've already addressed my own I will leave it at that. I guess we all just have to be able to look in the mirror each day and respect the person we see there.

• Ron I do take exception to being considered a "gang". The conotation is bullying and intimidation. You yourself said this was not the case so using that term is inaccurate and in fact slanderous.

There is no reason for anyone to post here other than the open sharing of information and experiences and the occasional shoulder to cry on. Maybe instead of persecuting those who do participate you should investigate ways to bring more active members to the forum.

what you are saying 100%
  • Now that I've had some coffee and the brain cells are in line.(G)

Ron I am a bit miffed by this thread. Like HB said (and yes you spoke well of us both), we post a lot, and yes we post from the heart on threads we feel we can help in, and that we relate too. Because of the friendships I have with many on here, some threads I do post "yes" little "I don't have xx problem as you know, but just wanted you to know I am here and supporting you now..."posts. If that is a "points post" or a "gang post", then I apologize in advance.

Points I can care less about. Gang? None of my posts (except to Mikem and his drugs) are to threaten or be gang like. If now my posting - to which you have thanked me for in the past - is now a detriment, then I will just read for a while. Like Kris and HB, I take exception, and too am a bit hurt in that while doing what I thought was good for others and this site, now might be deemed a gang behavior? Sorry, but since there are a handful of us that are regularly on here, and too post regularly, its hard not to FEEL subject of your post.

To those who felt the need to PM Ron about gang behavior or being intimidated, I am sorry if my posting(s) was cause of such concerns. I will back down then and let others do their thing - though I never meant to intimidate or thwart others posting. Have a good day all.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    and I told you that if I had something to say to you, I know I could just come out and say it. I just sent you a PM to hopefully explain some more.

My intentions here are not aimed at trying to discredit a few members.

Understand my motives, they are to see that the entire site is best served.. Very simple.

May I step on some feet, may I potential upset some?
    Perhaps. But I firmly believe that our purpose is for the good of all. Thats it
  • Thanks very much for the PM Ron. Yes I do feel better now. I just was concerned if my posting bothered others or was keeping same from posting - glad to hear that is not the case. I guess too, since I don't read all the threads, I am missing seeing the types of posts that prompted this thread topic. I will go back to my regularly scheduled channel now.. :)

• I have lots of points and hope to cash them in one day. LOL. I want to win a trip to Florida for the winter j/k?

But seriously,I think people should feel free to post and get some helpful responses. It's awful when no one responds to your post and you're left there hanging feeling like you can't relate to anyone... Maybe I post too much but really want to say Hey I can relate somehow.. though I haven't had spine surgery yet I have had shoulder surgery & chronic pain and thought this was a great place to get info and experience and support and hope. I want to say hi and hope I'm not the canned greeting card wherever that came from.

It's great when I see new members especially ones I can relate to and those who are looking for support from others, re: surgery or chronic pain. It's a great community and when there's a lot of members, there will be some disagreements but not that much I have seen. I've seen a lot of new members and good posts so hope to see new members and I'll try not to answer everyone. It's like I need the support here and don't know where I would be without this place. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

All that time I thought I was collecting points for an "Island Getaway." Sheez!

I haven't been posting or replying. I have been reading through some of the threads though. Evidently not enough. From my perception, I can see where one might feel like they will get the "canned response." (After all what more can one say? It is established we are not medical professionals here.) With the exception of a few post that people actually walked right into, I haven't really seen much bullying either.

Just people who are doing their best to be there for others in their time of need.

So Happy, Avia, Kris, David, Dave, Reform, and Charry, just to name a few. Keep up the great work.

Of course I realize that's just my perception but I wanted to share it.
    I'll go back to my reading for now. I just wanted to throw my .02cents in and go ahead and post, just in case those points do end up adding up to somethin.....

• I really did think we could cash in our points. I'm saving up for that weekend getaway too. Dang, I'm sooooo gullable. Now you've gone and doused my dreams of meeting all my spiney friends. :)

Seriously though, there are many caring and supportive people here. I enjoy reading the responses and seeing how much compassion is shown to fellow members. So called "canned" responses are going to happen, but I find it wonderful when someone finds a connection with another member and is able to help that person. I tend to answer posts from people with neck problems--that is where my experience is and the place I really feel qualified to help. But once in a while there is a post in another category that I can relate to and feel like I can contribute something that hasn't already been said. Isn't that why we are all here? To support others going through the same thing we are, and also to get support back?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Bingo!!! The bonding on here is great! I've had PM's from folks that share same jobs (now former for me), same loves, same issues ...and the list goes on. Yes I fully agree - support both ways though. For me, I find that sometimes helping ease the questions or fears of another, kind of helps ease my pain a notch or two.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) with my cascading, I've expanded out on posts that I read and respond too. A lot of the PM's I get (to me) validate that I am doing something good on here. So gonna continue till or if (hopefully not) kicked off. (G)

• Well, I don't think anyone would deny you're doing good here, Brenda. You notice that of the three of us equals who objected right off, you were the one who got the PM assuring you there was no problem ;)

But here is the thing. If you decide you understand someone's motives, you can read their posts as anything. I don't doubt that there are trolls here (people who are masquerading as spine patients to "fit in" or for some other purpose.) I have never been part of a forum that didn't have a troll or three. However, so far I have yet to meet someone I could honestly swear is a troll (and I'm usually the suspicious one!).

I have sort of kept myself distant, not feeling like I had the energy to put into making new friends and intending to keep it "strictly spine", so was surprised that one or two came to me anyway. A couple have even become Facebook friends and gotten to see me post endless pictures of my daughter and our pony (who is actually a horse, but don't tell him that). So bonds happen whether you want them to or not!

We could make the points like green stamps, and trade them in for coffee tables and electric trains. Remember green stamps?
  • I'll trade in a few of my points, (not that I have all that many) for a "pony" ride. They are, so far, obviously useless for anything else.

This spine isn't getting any better. I'm done babying it! Bring on the horse!

Opps, sorry, I mean pony!
  • My daughter fell off the pony last week. I shall have to deny your request for a pony ride due to liability issues and the fact that the pony is an evil genius. Unless you have over 2,000 points, that is.

eta: Oh, look, I get to ride the pony! Lucky me!
  • 2000 points or MORE????

Well, It would seem I need to start posting.

POINTS, POINTS, POINTS! (Maybe I could trade for some.) Hmmm... there's an idea!

Hope your daughter is OKAY.

I believe your pony may be related to my cat. Now that is one evil genuis! But that would be for another thread!

Just sayin...
  • I also felt that the points system was meaningless. I have had a check, and apart from Ron, Charry you are the winner!! :-) I think you should definately get some sort of prize!

When you have any gathering of people, you will have those that speak more than the others.
    Those of us that are home recovering, are very keen to use our experience to help other newcomers because we know from experience how much it helped us.

I am flabbergasted that anyone feels intimidated to make posts due to the same people answering with a canned post. I have always thought that Spine Health is a really friendly place where everyone is accepted and welcomed. If our posts seem similar, perhaps it is because our reply comes from our heart and that is how we would speak.

I also don’t know what you mean by ‘gang posting’. Perhaps there is a group of people who try to answer posts to help and encourage others. We are certainly not getting together to decide what we will answer!

“Gang posting. I will not share the messages I have received, since they were done in confidence. But I will only state that some members are 'afraid' to post because the responses they receive are always from just a few select members”.

Could it be that these same members who answer posts, are caring individuals who are trying to help hurting people? Some people hang back and don’t post, and that is fine. Perhaps some are more vocal, but that happens when you get a group conversation going. Personally, I would prefer to get responses from the same group of people than not get a response at all.

“Some people Post for the sake of posting and they are not interested really in the subject matter”

I can’t imagine anyone taking the time and effort to post if they are not really interested in the subject matter!! People are trying to help each other here.

It takes all sorts to make a world. Some people are more open and chatty, some are quieter and some are more sensitive.
  • Thanks HB. :) Trolls, hehe, haven't thought of that much on here. You're right, they are on most any board, but I think that it would be hard to cover it here. Too many that have "been there, done that, and have the shirt!" But hey, that couple that crashed (if they really did lol) the White House party, so.....

Bonds, yes they will and do happen. I have some that I talk with voice off of here, and we share "regular" email so we can exchange pictures and other funnies and things. I don't have FB, but it would make sense having some there. There are several on here who are on another medical support board I am on - also for nerve issues, but away from the spine. Even the World Wide Web can be a small world eh? :)

A pony that is a horse? A dwarf horse? (G)

• His mom was a Welsh Pony, so size-wise he is a horse (barely), but he looks like a pony, with the big fuzzy mane and such. And his nickname has been "the pony" since before we got him. I call him other things too, but nothing repeatable here.

• Please keep the thread on topic. This is another problem that some of you don't do on a regular basis. If you want to have a conversation you can do it through PM, Chat, or simply call each other on the phone. Ridiculing this thread is unacceptable. The thread was created to address other members concerns. You are not the only ones that use this forum.

• HI Dave, This isn't the first time that I have seen a member of the team reprimand members for the way they post. So since this thread is specifically about the forum I decided to look up the definition of FORUM. Below is what Merriam-Webster says.

Definition 1c is what this site used to be. An online service that served as a medium for the open discussion and expression of ideas. What happened? It seems like every other day there is a criptic post from the team that attacks the members. Or changes the rules.

Maybe the owners of Spine-Health need to rethink this Forum, both the format and how it is managed. You have seen the unhappiness and it is not coming from one member...it is coming from most of the forum members.

Threads like this only cause hurt. A public rebuke of the active members is uncalled for and does nothing to solve a situation. I've been a member for over a year and truly love the site, or at least I did.

I hope you and the rest of the team can consider my post in a positive light and with an open mind.

fo·rum noun \ˈfȯr-əm\
    plural forums also fo·ra\-ə\
    Definition of FORUM

1a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
    1b : a public meeting place for open discussion
    1c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

2: a judicial body or assembly : court

3a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion
    3b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities
  • Yes, the forum is an area where we have open discussions. However, Spine Health is broken down into multiple forums so that members can navigate to areas of interest. Within each forum, members are permitted to create new topics. It is the responsibility of the team to keep these topics on subject.

I'm not interested in your argumentative tone because it does not serve the greater good. In the future, please try to stay on topic when posting.

That last post was totally uncalled for.
    If you had any idea about the format, the total membership base, how things are structured, you would have never made that comment.

This thread is closed down.

It is a shame that it has to go this route.

We have an obligation to point out problems. Bring to the membership so they are aware of it. But like many other law enforcement officers, we are looked at as the bad guys.

I will repeat what I have said, not just here but in so many forum threads. We have to monitor a forum base that consists of international membership and that we need to ensure that there is equity across the entire site. When there are problem areas, we react as quickly as we can to address them.