Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newb. Chronic Back Pain for 14 yrs.

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I'm almost 33 yo and have had back pain (buldging discs/disc issues and cracked vertebra)since I was 18 (almost 19).

Had L4-5 discectomy in 2001 to fix a buldging disc that was protruding on my nerves causing left foot numbness.

Had many other procedures, treatments etc and am currently only receiving pain medications.

Had my 3rd child in the summer of 2009 and was breastfeeding and didn't need to be on meds during and after my pregnancy. We (docs and I) think it's something related to the hormones. Started on pain meds when baby was around 7 months old and the pain has only increasingly gotten worse since. It's worse than it was before I got pregnant. Begged my family doc for a MRI, got it, had to redo it because there were new findings (lesions). After receiving the 2nd report today I'm looking for help in decyphering (sp?) the results because I can't get into neurosurgery until Nov. 18th.

Glad to be here, hope I can find some answers & support.

• Sorry to hear you're having more pain. There's a lot of information in the Dr. written articles here that may help with some terms of your MRI. We're unable to read MRI's here but we'll be able to support you as you're going through the process of diagnosis and treatment but I hope you're on the cancellation list to see your Neurosurgeon or perhaps your Primary Dr. would help with your MRI results. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have Kaiser Permenente and I'm not sure they have a cancellation list. Basically they schedule specialty doc appts based on need. Even the reg. primary docs (family medicine etc) have this type of scheduling.

I emailed my primary doc to see if she thought my "non-urgent neuro" status could be changed to a "more urgent" one so I could get into the appt blocks that were sooner. I asked because she referred me to neuro the day the first MRI results came in (showed lesions but needed a closer look). Now that the 2nd MRI report is in I'm hoping she'll agree with me and contact Neuro for me or put a note in my file so I can call them and change the appt.

Thanks for the reply & suggestions!

• A hearty Welcome to Spine-Health!!! Like Charry said, we aren't allowed to really give comments on MRI's or other diagnostic tests. We can of course chime in if there is something you are experiencing that we can relate to...patient to patient. :)

Hormones bite! Mine took a dive after a tumor was removed, and as such lost half of my girlie parts. It was benign. Interesting ride as they changed for sure! If your emotions are all over the place, that can have an effect on your pain levels for sure, just as much as say...being depressed would increase pain effects. I hope your doctor can find what is going on soon. Please keep us posted on what you find out. Again, welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well my primary replied and said basically that Neuro looked at my MRI (not sure which one) and agreed to see me to humor me basically. She said she'd talk to her clinical pharmisist and see about upping my meds.

My pain increased significally last saturday and I fear that the 1 disc that was buldging the most has torn or worse.

She refuses to believe that I could be arthritic so she won't treat me for it either.

I'm so sick of Kaiser.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us.

Why do you think they're just humoring you? It sounds like they're getting you in sooner and if they're upping your meds, it could be that they see why you're in so much pain. That's every spiney's hope is to have a doc see why you're hurting so bad. You might not believe how many can't seem to find a diagnosis and that's terribly frustrating.

So when is your new appointment? I hope it's soon, please let us know.

Take care,
  • I can't get into Neurosurgery until Nov. 18th. When my doctor replied to me she said:

"Neurosurgery has reviewed your mri, and does not feel that this explains your pain (the 3 buldging discs, 3 hemangiomatas), and is not optimistic that they will be able to help. They are happy to see you to give you their assessment, but I do not think a more urgent appointment would be appropriate given this. I will ask our clinical pharmacist to review your case and help with methadone (I take that plus percocet for break through pain plus nortriptylne for nerve pain and then meloxicam - NSAID) adjustment recommendations."

I take that as them "humoring" me. In 2001 Kaiser's "rule" about surgery was "we don't operate until the disc/s are causing numbness". Because I had numbness in my left toes, I got surgery that year. So, since I currently don't get numbness I doubt they'd operate. On top of that I'm upset that they don't think 3 buldging discs, cracked vertebra and these 3 hemangiomatas are causing me to be in so much pain. My PCP told me that I'm too young to have arthritis. That also angers me because it is possible.

From what she's said to me they "think" the hemangiomatas are benign common tumors. She didn't say (nor did Neuro from the above statement) that they were going to test further (ie: biopsy) to be sure that they were in fact benign. Frustrating. I'd like to know!

The radiologists report did say that the fatty tumors could also be Multiple Myeloma or Renal Cell cancer but I don't have that since I recently had a renal ultrasound after I had surgery for kidney stones. My PCP said that it's highly unlikely that I would have Multiple Myeloma, but she will order the blood & urine tests to evaluate this possibility.

Anyway, off to the specific sections of this community so I can vent some more there! LOL

Thanks for listening! <3