Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Son's update

PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
My son Jason went for his 10 week check-up yesterday and it was all good news! L5-S1 is fusing nicely. His surgeon’s PA is also a spiney! She has had her neck fused!

He has been complaining that he has a sore spot on his incision and had been covering it with a gauze bandage. When the PA looked at it she knew right away what was causing it. It was the 2 plastic plates that fit into his back brace! She took them out for him and he said the relief was immediate.

He also complained to her that he was having pain in the thoracic area and some bad headaches. According to the PA, the pain he is experiencing in the thoracic area is caused by his neck problems. We’ve known for some time that he has some issues with his neck but hopefully he can hold off on the surgery for that.

She has given him a script for PT (Physio) and also for weekly massages so he is a happy camper! Also because his back is fusing so nicely they aren’t going to do the posterior surgery so that was more good news.

He sounded so happy and very relieved to know he was fusing. And he is looking forward to the massages! He was actually laughing yesterday, first time I've heard him really belly laugh in years!

Peggy :-)

• Peggy that's fantastic news. You both must be estatic.
  • It's great that everything seems to be going so well for your son. He's pain free and off all medication I presume? Brilliant news!

I am surprised that after only 10 weeks there has been evidence of spinal fusion beginning already. When I went for my review appointment last week (at 9 weeks) and had the relevant x-rays, I was told it was far too early to see any signs of fusing taking place. They wouldn't expect to see the first signs until at least 3 months post-op.

Just goes to show that everyone heals at different speeds!

I'm so happy that your son seems to be in such a 'good place' - it's encouraging to us all.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Kris, it really is awesome. He sounded so happy!

Sue, I was surprised too but they had his x-rays from 3 different time frames and they showed that it was starting to fuse. I guess that being relatively young (39) does help with healing. Also I think depending on what they use to start the fusion process has a lot to do with it. He had BMP. He is not completely off medication because he also has neck issues but he has drastically reduced it.

Might be interesting to see a poll with ages and what was used to see if there is any correlation between them!

He really could use a bit of luck in his life!

Peggy x

• <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P
    Peggy I am so pleased for Jason. I know that as a mother, you must be so relieved and happy for him. I can imagine how wonderful it must have been to hear him reallly laughing. I really wish him the best and that his life will be full of great people and experiences now. :D

Sue, I was also told, when my 8 week x-rays showed no sign of fusion, that it was too early. I know that at that stage, it doesn't worry the surgeon, but they do see fusion as early as 6 weeks. I think that at that stage, they x-ray to check that the hardware is still in the correct place, but are also looking for signs of fusion. Earlier, he had told me that. It is just when they don't see it, the tell you it is much too early to make you feel better and stop you worrying!! :S

It seems to sometimes follow, that after fusion in one area, there are problems that kick off in another part of the spine. I am also now having cervical and thoracic issues which will need investigating.

Peggy, please tell Jason that his spiney followers are thrilled to hear his news.
    Thanks for the update on how he is doing. :-)
  • Nice to see you on the recovering board today! I think I've been following you from post to post!

It really is such good news and as a mother you know that when your kids hurt,even if they aren't little anymore, you hurt for them.

He has a beautiful laugh and I didn't realise how much I had missed it! Don't think he did either.

I've been trying to get him to post here but he is so busy all the time that he doesn't have much time for it. Maybe as things settle down a bit he can find some time. I think it would be good for him to make some new friends and the spineys are the BEST!

How is work going? Glad to hear you are finding ways to do what you need to do to work. Onwards and upwards! Take it easy girl!

P x
  • and it is so good to know that your son is doing well. We also were told that it was too early to look for fusion when we went but there is a twenty-six year difference in age between your son and my hubby. I'm just so glad that he, and you, are doing well.
  • Thanks for that! I saw that your hubby is having some issues with the Physio Therapist. He has been doing so well I hope that the don't put his recovery back a notch. I would think if it is hurting him it's not good...not that I know much about it.

I'm waiting to see how my son does with it. They seem to have waited much longer than alot of other surgeons to start him on PT. I think he is ready for it now.

I think your husband has had a remarkable recovery so far and hope that he continues to improve.

P x
  • Congrats on your son's phase of recovery! To be showing fusion so early, even better!! Sending positive energy for continued healing! Love hearing successes like these! *HUGZ* for you and your son!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Terrific that Jason is doing so well and fusing already. I bet he's so happy that he won't need the posterior surgery.

I'm sure he'll enjoy the massages !!

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I'm sure he will enjoy those massages!