Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

restless leg, restless arm?

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Sleep Problems
With my new found sleep (thanks to Ambien) I no longer think I have sleep apnea (Yea!). However, now that I am actually caught up on my sleep I have woke my self up more than once by hitting myself in the head. My arms are flying up from my side and at times hitting my head. I suppose at other times they don't hit my head.

I also do the kicking/jerking (that has been going on for awhile).

Anyone else? Input?

• Julie,

Even though I have more issues in my neck, my legs have jerked and woken me. I've had my right arm jump a little at times when I am awake, but never noticed it sleeping. It is positional with me too - only happens sleeping on my right side?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    normally LEG is something that can baffle doctors.
    I was diagnosed with RLS about 4 years ago, after going through it nightly.

I still have the problem. It happens the most when I am lying flat in a bed (which I hardly do anymore) or when I am sitting on a couch with my legs up.

My nerve medication has helped with that, but basically the one medication that helped the most was REQUIP. However, after taking that for two years, I started developing a major rash from that. Now, I use a lot of quinine. (Tonic is the easiest source)

From what I remember, there is not a specific test to prove or disprove Restless Leg Syndrome.

But, I know first hand it isnt any fun
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yes, I have had those spasmy limbs lately. I have NO idea what it's about. I was thinking maybe it has to do with increasing my dose of Cymbalta?

I was hoping he wasn't going to tell me it had to do with things pushing on my spinal cord...

I don't think what you're describing is RLS. RLS is when you are awake and you suddenly feel like you NEED to move your legs, can't keep them still. Are you talking about them just suddenly moving? That's more like a tic, right? I don't know the actual word for it though.
  • Thanks Peeps :O)

Periodic Limb Movement Disorder..... It was under RLS... It may or may not be anything that I have. It may or may not have to do with a medication I am taking. It may or may not have to do with spinal cord compression.. LOL

Interesting none the less :)

More than 80 percent of people with RLS also experience a more common condition known as periodic limb movement of sleep (PLMS). PLMS is characterized by involuntary leg twitching or jerking movements during sleep that typically occur every 15 to 40 seconds, sometimes throughout the night. The symptoms cause repeated awakening and severely disrupted sleep. Although many individuals with RLS also develop PLMS, most people with PLMS do not experience RLS. People who have PLMS and do not have RLS or another cause for the PLMS may be diagnosed with periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). PLMD may be a variant of RLS and thus respond to similar treatments.

• Ah, that's not what I have then. But still- frustrating that we have these things that could be caused by about a million different things, hard to tell which one!
  • I don't fit in that description, but thanks for posting it. :) When my leg does its "jerk" thing, it is only like once or twice in a night, and only on my right side - odd ball I guess. I do get it a bit in my arms, but again, not with any timing or regularity. RLS, nope, not restless either. Like HBmom said, LOTS of things can cause it. Puzzle time I guess? :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I think brenda has got it solved.
    I also had the restless leg, right after you fall asleep, it would start jerking.
    Well before surgery i always slept on my stomach, since surgery i cant, it hurts too much.
    Now i can only sleep on my side and i havent had any problems with the kicking leg.

So it just might be a sleep position thing.

• I get twitching in my legs, especially during the night and early morning, while I am still in bed. It feels almost like a pot of water boiling, with the bubbles constantly moving about. I get in in the tops of my feet, calves and even my thighs. Sometimes the feeling turns to a spasm, where the muscle tightens, but involuntarily and sometimes it turns into a severe muscle cramp.

I had these symptoms before my lumbar fusion, and then early on in the recovery, it stopped. It has now come back with a vengence and I am hoping that it doesn't mean that there is nerve compression again. I have been told that it indicates that the motor nerves are being compressed somewhere. As I have cervical and thoracic problems, it could come from there. I hope that there isn't trouble brewing back in my lumbar spine!!

I do get pain and aching in my arms, but not these strange twitching and spasms.

If you learn what this is Julie, please let us know. :-)
  • Mine is like Brenda's. Just random twitching. Usually legs, sometimes arm.